• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First GA purchase of 2018
4 4

116 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice one!  Love these books. 

Thanks! I always thought this was one of the spookier early Precode covers. Unfortunately DC even then lamed out on the stories as having any of the supernatural happenings explained away by criminals hoaxing people. :|

9 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Thanks! I always thought this was one of the spookier early Precode covers. Unfortunately DC even then lamed out on the stories as having any of the supernatural happenings explained away by criminals hoaxing people. :|

Yeah, DCs whole suspense/mystery push across multiple titles in the early 1950s was pretty much a fizzle.  I would guess that helps explain why many of the books are so scarce these days. 

2 hours ago, the blob said:

So are you "geek spirits?"  I was trying to look up formula 37, but i only see 51? My wife is a whiskeyholic, so I look into this stuff...

I am GeekSpirits.  Right now we just have Formula 37 in bottles for whiskey (American Single Malt) but Formula 51 is getting ready to be bottled which is a straight bourbon. (thumbsu

5 hours ago, RickHigh said:

Thrilled to make this my first purchase of 2018. :cloud9: (Twenty three days without buying a comic book. I was going through withdrawal.) 

s-l1600.jpg

Very cool book! Heath was a class act.

23 days!  I could see going without food for 23 days, but going without a new comic for 23 days just doesn't seem humanly possible! :whatthe:

13 hours ago, Jayman said:

I'm working on an early HOM run also.... taking my time though... they are fun !!

15 hours ago, RickHigh said:

Thrilled to make this my first purchase of 2018. :cloud9: (Twenty three days without buying a comic book. I was going through withdrawal.) 

WHOA !! that war comics #11 is sweet (thumbsu 

i have seen a 5.0 or 5.5 graded by the other company for sale before but not a CGC ! pretty sure it is the highest graded

and the top Atlas war key of them all (thumbsu

Thanks. Such a great Russ Heath cover. GPA has this as the highest graded copy, but there is no census info, so not sure what the actual highest graded copy is. Nonetheless, I have always wanted a copy and this one seems pretty nice. This is the seller's scan. Just bought it today, so hopefully will have it in hand soon.

Census is 10 total graded, 4 5.5's, 1 6.0...not exactly common!  Great pickup sir.

12 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Census is 10 total graded, 4 5.5's, 1 6.0...not exactly common!  Great pickup sir.

Thanks everyone. I am thrilled to have it. Thanks Rob for the census info. I guess it's time to start looking for purchase #2 for the year. Can't go another 23 days. I start getting the "shakes". 

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

I'm working on an early HOM run also.... taking my time though... they are fun !!

That great, what issues do you have so far? And don't get me wrong as I love the book I have, it's just as a horror fan I expected to see some in issue 5 but was a bit disappointed. Are there supernatural elements in any of the Precode HOM issues? The covers I like are 1, 7, 11, 13 and 23 with the Stamps of Doom!

Yeah HOM is not really horror,.. more like supernatural.. DC comics  was always a tamed down version and didn't really try and compete with Atlas horror or even Atlas war as far as violent covers or stories...

i posted this photo awhile back , i will show it again ,, none of the issues are too hard to find with patience , its seems that  2,3 and 5 pop up on eBay all the time for sale so i am in no hurry for #2 or 3....

i am pretty much just going for issues 1-20 and i can't help but like them graded,, 

DSCN3643.thumb.JPG.d38c3299c6b340cb419b10a3a7eeb857.JPG

1 hour ago, RickHigh said:

Thanks everyone. I am thrilled to have it. Thanks Rob for the census info. I guess it's time to start looking for purchase #2 for the year. Can't go another 23 days. I start getting the "shakes". 

Haha , i know what you mean , my mailman and me were getting to be real goods friends a few years ago when i couln't hardly go a week without an eBay purchase , but dang my VISA bills were a shock.....

33 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Haha , i know what you mean , my mailman and me were getting to be real goods friends a few years ago when i couln't hardly go a week without an eBay purchase , but dang my VISA bills were a shock.....

Hah! Same here. My FedEx guy would schedule his run so he could catch me at home for lunch!! We got to be pretty good friends. I have since retired and my wife is getting ready to do the same, so I've had to slow way down on my buying. I am selling much more than I want to these days, and as a matter of fact, I am getting ready to put up for sale some books that I thought I would have 'til I died. That's goin' to really be hard.

BTW, love the HOM books. I have a bunch, but they are all bronze age and all raw. CGC 5.0 to 6.5 is my sweet spot these days. You can get some nice looking books for not too much money.

7 hours ago, RickHigh said:

Hah! Same here. My FedEx guy would schedule his run so he could catch me at home for lunch!! We got to be pretty good friends. I have since retired and my wife is getting ready to do the same, so I've had to slow way down on my buying. I am selling much more than I want to these days, and as a matter of fact, I am getting ready to put up for sale some books that I thought I would have 'til I died. That's goin' to really be hard.

BTW, love the HOM books. I have a bunch, but they are all bronze age and all raw. CGC 5.0 to 6.5 is my sweet spot these days. You can get some nice looking books for not too much money.

Why are you selling them?  Are you trying to cut your collection down?

1 hour ago, Lucky Baru said:

Why are you selling them?  Are you trying to cut your collection down?

Yes. Going to try and get it down to just a couple of short boxes. Also, I have one daughter getting married in the spring and another, probably later this year and, according to my wife, the bride's parents pay for the wedding. I tried telling her that comics are just as good as the green stuff, but she's not having any part of that. :frustrated:

Yes. Going to try and get it down to just a couple of short boxes. Also, I have one daughter getting married in the spring and another, probably later this year and, according to my wife, the bride's parents pay for the wedding. I tried telling her that comics are just as good as the green stuff, but she's not having any part of that. :frustrated:

LOL, and good luck!