World's Finest #7 (1942) 7.0 -- fun, historic book
1 1

14 posts in this topic

rjd   
  • Member
  • 7 posts
  • Location: Chicago, IL
Hi there.  Please bear with me – I’m new to this board.  But I’m moving and have decided to sell a significant part of my collection, so I found this board while researching good places to sell.  Historically, I haven’t had too many books graded, but have sent in a few over the years, so I wanted to post them somewhere popular with CGC collectors. So here’s my first offering.  It’s probably my best golden age book – a very nice copy of a fun issue. Hate to part with it, but need to cut down on all my ’stuff’ a bit.  
 
World’s Finest #7 (1942) 7.0 
 
Scans below (Sorry the pictures aren't better - hard to get a good one without lots of reflection!).  Please let me know if you have any questions.  
 
---------
Great Snapshot of Golden Age History
Classic Jack Burnley WWII cover - featuring Superman, Batman, & Robin 
 
Characters featured include
Superman
Batman 
Robin
Zatara
Sandman
Star-Spangled Kid
Green Arrow 
Speedy
 
And check out the writers and artists who ALL worked on this book:  
Jerry Siegel
Gardner Fox
Joe Simon
Jack Kirby
Bill Finger
Bob Kane
Jerry Robinson
 
It’s a who’s who in the history of comics.  Fun book!
————
Details
Very nice, clean case – no notable scratches or cracks or anything. 
Price: $1,250 + Free Shipping
Payment via Paypal - or 3% discount for Check or Money Order
Returns: No Returns on CGC books (that’s the whole point of CGC, no?)
And I don’t really know exactly what a HOSer or Probie is yet, but I guess I reserve the right to pass on offers from folks who seem to be on this site’s naughty list… (that’s my best guess so far anyway?).  
 
Hope this book finds a good home!!
5a4c4e935a680_20171224_130828copy.thumb.jpg.6cc873daf1c2f5cbdcc880b5d9c279ad.jpg
5a4c4e88a9203_20171224_130838copy.thumb.jpg.a316e4bf1ac710491346afc3d1b2218f.jpg
5a4c4e8ca9970_20171224_130914copy.thumb.jpg.664bf6a7f7d3026dced23352e4884d37.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizards2   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 36,148 posts
  • Location: Oregon Outback-Duckland!

I wish I had a wiener cannon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tri-ColorBrian   
  • Member
  • 4,279 posts
  • Location: The Wild West...maybe Arizona...

It sure is purdy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robot Man   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 12,622 posts
  • Location: My junk pile

Looks like a wonderful book! You might be a straight up guy, but before you start selling here and taking our money, I would suggest you post for a while and develop a bit of a track record. No offense, but I would have to be a little crazy to flip you $1,250...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sludgesicle Man   
  • Member
  • 135 posts
37 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Looks like a wonderful book! You might be a straight up guy, but before you start selling here and taking our money, I would suggest you post for a while and develop a bit of a track record. No offense, but I would have to be a little crazy to flip you $1,250...

 

Especially since one is currently on eBay.  I’ve been watching it for a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dreamtoreal1   
  • Member
  • 1,119 posts
  • Location: Los Angeles, California
  • Kudos Thread

Is this your first time selling or have you sold stuff on Ebay, Facebook, Instagram before? etc 

Also where are you located? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rjd   
  • Member
  • 7 posts
  • Location: Chicago, IL

Hi all,  Thanks for the feedback - very helpful.  I'm in Chicago.  And yes, I've sold a fair amount of stuff on places like eBay (100% rating).  That said, I've been much more of a collector than a seller over the years.  Not too into all the grading and such, and I'm moving, so I'm looking to downsize.

Also, I completely understand the caution some folks are expressing.  Again, I'm brand new here - and I just figured that folks mostly used paypal or somesuch to make sure they received the items promised (and had some recourse if they didn't)?  

Any other suggestions about offering books on here?  Or ways to ensure being an honest broker?  Maybe it's just not a good match since - candidly, I'm not so much looking to be an ongoing, active part of this forum - rather, I'm mostly looking for a good way to downsize my collection - and don't want to have to dedicate huge amounts of time to the process.  I've sold a lot on sites like eBay, but quite frankly, eBay has increasingly been driving me CRAZY over the years - plus the fees are getting so high between them and paypal combined, and again, the time involved in uploading photos, writing descriptions, responding to questions, etc. is just not something I much enjoy.  So I was hoping to find some alternative ways to offer books directly to other collectors.  

Would folks suggest any other mechanism/site/service, etc?  I haven't really tried selling through places like comic link or heritage - but maybe I should?  Mostly, I just don't have a ton of time to spend on this stuff (but naturally, I would still like to get decent value out of my books if I can).   Maybe Heritage or something else would be better?  (I know it should have - but it never really occurred to me in the past that selling my books someday would be so much work..!)  Recommendations/advice much appreciated.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyFish   
  • Member
  • 1,397 posts
  • Location: Northeast US

I'll second or third the suggestion that you just put some time in here and then take to selling.  There are tons of interesting threads for someone who is interested in the medium, and tons of nonsense but that's part of the fun.  If you don't want to invest in the time to become a member of the boards then you should look to sell elsewhere-- carpetbaggers get called out here often.

You could try selling some less high ticket books here and then build your Kudos rating which will get you better results. 
It's a nice book, GP for a 7.0 was $1000 in February 2017 so you might be priced a little high, might also explain the other 7.0 copy on eBay sitting unsold as a BIN for a little less than your asking price.

Regardless, welcome to the boards, and good luck with the sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimjum12   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 24,748 posts
  • Location: In line at the Principal's office
18 hours ago, rjd said:

Hi all,  Thanks for the feedback - very helpful.  I'm in Chicago.  And yes, I've sold a fair amount of stuff on places like eBay (100% rating).  That said, I've been much more of a collector than a seller over the years.  Not too into all the grading and such, and I'm moving, so I'm looking to downsize.

Also, I completely understand the caution some folks are expressing.  Again, I'm brand new here - and I just figured that folks mostly used paypal or somesuch to make sure they received the items promised (and had some recourse if they didn't)?  

Any other suggestions about offering books on here?  Or ways to ensure being an honest broker?  Maybe it's just not a good match since - candidly, I'm not so much looking to be an ongoing, active part of this forum - rather, I'm mostly looking for a good way to downsize my collection - and don't want to have to dedicate huge amounts of time to the process.  I've sold a lot on sites like eBay, but quite frankly, eBay has increasingly been driving me CRAZY over the years - plus the fees are getting so high between them and paypal combined, and again, the time involved in uploading photos, writing descriptions, responding to questions, etc. is just not something I much enjoy.  So I was hoping to find some alternative ways to offer books directly to other collectors.  

Would folks suggest any other mechanism/site/service, etc?  I haven't really tried selling through places like comic link or heritage - but maybe I should?  Mostly, I just don't have a ton of time to spend on this stuff (but naturally, I would still like to get decent value out of my books if I can).   Maybe Heritage or something else would be better?  (I know it should have - but it never really occurred to me in the past that selling my books someday would be so much work..!)  Recommendations/advice much appreciated.  Thanks!

....you're in the right place...... but somehow this place has gotten the rep as the message board where everyone overpays..... which isn't always true. If you have a classic Icon book like Startling 49 or Out Of The Darkness 8, sure, folks will dig deep..... and your WF 7 is a book I personally love, with my favorite S&K Sandman story of them all and a cool WWII Cover....  but unfortunately isn't a hot book. It might not fly off the shelf...... Books from  20 to $ 200 generally do pretty well around here, whereas the books that run as much as a mortgage may sit..... even for guys who've been selling here forever. GLWTS and welcome to the boards ....... and break out that WF 3 you're sitting on...... that one will MOVE......... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skypinkblu   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 24,571 posts
  • Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow
  • Kudos Thread
19 hours ago, rjd said:

Hi all,  Thanks for the feedback - very helpful.  I'm in Chicago.  And yes, I've sold a fair amount of stuff on places like eBay (100% rating).  That said, I've been much more of a collector than a seller over the years.  Not too into all the grading and such, and I'm moving, so I'm looking to downsize.

Also, I completely understand the caution some folks are expressing.  Again, I'm brand new here - and I just figured that folks mostly used paypal or somesuch to make sure they received the items promised (and had some recourse if they didn't)?  

Any other suggestions about offering books on here?  Or ways to ensure being an honest broker?  Maybe it's just not a good match since - candidly, I'm not so much looking to be an ongoing, active part of this forum - rather, I'm mostly looking for a good way to downsize my collection - and don't want to have to dedicate huge amounts of time to the process.  I've sold a lot on sites like eBay, but quite frankly, eBay has increasingly been driving me CRAZY over the years - plus the fees are getting so high between them and paypal combined, and again, the time involved in uploading photos, writing descriptions, responding to questions, etc. is just not something I much enjoy.  So I was hoping to find some alternative ways to offer books directly to other collectors.  

Would folks suggest any other mechanism/site/service, etc?  I haven't really tried selling through places like comic link or heritage - but maybe I should?  Mostly, I just don't have a ton of time to spend on this stuff (but naturally, I would still like to get decent value out of my books if I can).   Maybe Heritage or something else would be better?  (I know it should have - but it never really occurred to me in the past that selling my books someday would be so much work..!)  Recommendations/advice much appreciated.  Thanks!

Heritage and Clink charge you fees.  If you don't want to do any work, or minimal work, they might be better for you.

If you think snapping a few pictures and writing a paragraph is work when you want to sell a $1200 book, you may have underestimated what you'll need to do to sell part of your collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DavidTheDavid   

You haven’t done anything wrong. To the contrary, you have been transparent and responsible in your listing. Others have done what you’re doing, also with expensive books, and had success. You will probably do well to start with less expensive books, and to just hang out and interact on the boards, too. But keep at it and thanks for the positive interactions with boardies offering feedback.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Knightsofold   
  • Member
  • 2,039 posts
  • Location: Attack ship, off the shoulder of Orion.

Great looking book!  I love the ad for those amazing cartoons on the back cover.

Selling here can be great at times, but we're pretty on top of what "buy it nows" are available from anywhere.

So things need to be offered at 15-25% lower than what's available on ebay etc.

More for sure if it's a book that's currently unavailable, or mega hot stuff.  

I've been told November until tax returns is the toughest time to sell so it might be a little slow at the moment.

If you're looking for fast and easy, then there's no better place to unload quality books.  Priced with low enough for profit and a dealer will pick it up instantly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizards2   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 36,148 posts
  • Location: Oregon Outback-Duckland!
49 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Great looking book!  I love the ad for those amazing cartoons on the back cover.

Selling here can be great at times, but we're pretty on top of what "buy it nows" are available from anywhere.

So things need to be offered at 15-25% lower than what's available on ebay etc.

More for sure if it's a book that's currently unavailable, or mega hot stuff.  

I've been told November until tax returns is the toughest time to sell so it might be a little slow at the moment.

If you're looking for fast and easy, then there's no better place to unload quality books.  Priced with low enough for profit and a dealer will pick it up instantly.

 

Actually, I've found that despite Christmas present shopping, many people used to have a lot of disposable money at Christmas, and I sold a ton of books here.  I didn't sell here this holiday season though, so that may have been only true for the old boards, when we seemed to have a lot more people hanging around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1

  • Welcome! Sign up and jump in!

    Membership and use of the boards is FREE! The knowledge available on these boards about comic collecting is an amazing resource for less experienced collectors. It's also a great place to talk about expert comic collecting topics with other experienced collectors. We hope that you find what you came looking for here, but more than that, we hope you find your new comic collecting home.

    Don't let the friendly banter and close knit community put you off. You're only a few posts from being part of the gang!

    After you sign up, introduce yourself! We'd love to know more about your collecting.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 24 February 2018 10:00 PM Until 25 February 2018 11:00 PM
      0  
      February 23-24: Warren, MI at the Macomb Community College!
      This is a GREAT show that I have attended for years.  It is a top 3 show in the state of Michigan and while certainly not as big as Motor City, it has more of an "old school" feel with a higher percentage of Comic Vendors.  This will be my first time selling at it, and I know @catrick339 and @Nick's Comics will both also be setup there too.  I have done a lot of business with both guys over the years so please check out their booths as well, great books, great prices, and slightly above average Hawaiian shirts (catrick only).
      Jim Steranko, Arvell Jones, Keith Pollard and many more comic book and pop culture creators and celebrities will be in attendance. 
      @Rich_Henn will be onsite as well for signatures.
      There are deals to be had at this show, hope some boardies can attend.  
      Show Web Site:
      http://www.greatlakescomiccon.org/
    • 25 February 2018 07:00 PM Until 26 February 2018 01:30 AM
      0  
      Expanded 13th giant-sized 3 hall comic and toy convention at Croatian Cultural Center in Vancouver, BC, Canada. 170 sold out vendor's tables full of pop culture and family fun. Admission is $8, kids under 13 FREE. Over 14,400 square feet, FREE parking, 11 minute walk from Commercial at Broadway skytrain station. Top door prizes are 2 x $100 gift certificates. More info, photos and updates at http://www.canadiancomics.net