• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terry’s California Comic Con 2018
8 8

255 posts in this topic

Just one book this year but a fun one and satisfies my itch on this early series. I saw this at Bunky Brothers and the price was right and the cover called out to me. This year's shows was even more crowded than last which in turn was more crowded than the year before. Lots and lots of Golden Age if you like to buy them to read as opposed to encase in plastic. 

tn_GreenHornet5.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

I flew in from DC solely for this show, and now I have the misery of a red-eye flight home so I can get to work tomorrow.  In other words, it was a pain-in-the-*** for me to get to this show. On top of that, my plane on Saturday was late so I missed all the really good stuff being offered at preview night.  So you can imagine the show would have to be stellar to make it worth it.  Well, let me just tell  you, this far exceeded my expectations.  Well worth the effort, and my wallet is feeling it.  More later once I can get the pics from my phone and ipad.

On 1/28/2018 at 6:09 PM, Fiddy said:

Some of the booths were really crowded.  That CGC line was the longest I've seen it.  A vendor was dropping off a stack of Marvel True Believer to get graded.  

My gripes as well. There wasn’t a separate line to get in for the people that bought a ticket online in advance as previous years.

CGC line was huge and didn’t have the express drop off that I was hoping for. I saw that stack of true believers being dropped off too.

Rob Liefeld walked right in the convention without waiting in line. I had a couple cards I asked him to sign but he said he wasn’t signing and was there like everyone else :smirk:

All in all. After finally being able to start the show after being in line for an hour and a half. I enjoyed going through all the books. And bought a couple nice silver age. Too bad not that many boardies went to El Torito like last year. Met Ron and Pablo. Very nice guys. Great hanging out with shortboxed dudes as well. 

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80
name correction

1 minute ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

My gripes as well. There wasn’t a separate line to get in for the people that bought a ticket online in advance as previous years.

CGC line was huge and didn’t have the express drop off that I was hoping for. I saw that stack of true believers being dropped off too.

Rob Liefeld walked right in the convention without waiting in line. I had a couple cards I asked him to sign but he said he wasn’t signing and was there like everyone else :smirk:

All in all. After finally being able to start the show after being in line for an hour and a half. I enjoyed going through all the books. And bought a couple nice silver age. Too bad not that many boardies went to El Torito like last year. Met Roy and Pablo. Very nice guys. Great hanging out with shortboxed dudes as well. 

The line to get inside was pretty disorganized, like last year, but once they opened up the doors it was nice a smooth.  It was nice to be able to shop the books outside without having get rained on.  I did see a couple dealers get their books blown off their display due to how windy it was outside.  Didn't the Shortbox guy win the first raffle?

Most crowded show yet. Bakers were virtually non-existent. Enjoyed chatting with so many fine folk, of course. :) 

Not the best buying show (for me at least) this time around, just a Hit 7 (undercopy), Authentic Police Cases 33 (gun moll cover), a nice Wonder Woman 23, and a True Life Secrets 12 in high grade...that's it.

Great fun, as always!!

I picked up a few odds and ends, mostly from Terry. First real show I'd been to in many a year. My fingers are sore from flipping thru mylars. I only chatted with a couple boardies I'd already met for the most part. Missed out on the Sat. night pre-con and dinner. It's an hour drive for me, though if I'd known there was going to be deals to be made I might have come down Sat.

The thing I noticed was how old the collecting community is. When I used to go to the Shrine shows back in the early-mid 90s, the median age seemed to be about 30, this one seemed closer to 50, and 90% of the dealers seem at least that old as well. Makes me wonder if the hobby has legs, long run.

15 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I went to the Com Cave and stood at the entrance with a summoning chant but I could not wrestle the beast from his slumber. 

A07E817A-21F5-442D-8354-28199D47EFC8.gif

one of the greatest movies ever made and with a  limited or no release...check out "nothing Lasts Forever"..SCFI/thought  provoking, amazing, I think this a a screen shot from that movie?

Edited by Mmehdy

14 hours ago, rjpb said:

I picked up a few odds and ends, mostly from Terry. First real show I'd been to in many a year. My fingers are sore from flipping thru mylars. I only chatted with a couple boardies I'd already met for the most part. Missed out on the Sat. night pre-con and dinner. It's an hour drive for me, though if I'd known there was going to be deals to be made I might have come down Sat.

The thing I noticed was how old the collecting community is. When I used to go to the Shrine shows back in the early-mid 90s, the median age seemed to be about 30, this one seemed closer to 50, and 90% of the dealers seem at least that old as well. Makes me wonder if the hobby has legs, long run.

Most of the new collectors buy online,  go to SDCC/NYCC WE the early collectors remember how fun a true comic book show really is....so this is off their radar, which is great, seems like they need to get a bit bigger venue next year or more rooms, I will be going next year, see everybody there.

Edited by Mmehdy