• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US vs UK copies
2 2

93 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I'm not going to crunch all of the data, but it "feels" like the value gap has narrowed slightly.  

DEFINITELY the interest gap has narrowed.

I'm looking forward to the next 5 years to see where it's going.  

+1

18 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I'm not going to crunch all of the data, but it "feels" like the value gap has narrowed slightly.  

DEFINITELY the interest gap has narrowed.

I'm looking forward to the next 5 years to see where it's going.  

This goes especially for earlier or "scarcer" books. I.e. there are more people willing to take Pence copies on these. :)

I love pence, and have bought several this year, including an Avengers 7 and an ASM 6.

If you have any HG, discounted pence books you want to unload, let me know..., :whistle:

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I love pence, and have bought several this year, including an Avengers 7 and an ASM 6.

If you have any HG, discounted pence books you want to unload, let me know..., :whistle:

Let me know as well ,  I am buying Pence copies and I think they should be the KING OF THE VARIANTS !  I said it !

14 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Let me know as well ,  I am buying Pence copies and I think they should be the KING OF THE VARIANTS !  I said it !

sand-kid2.jpg

15 minutes ago, paul747 said:

A man of good taste :cloud9:

19 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

A lizard of good taste :cloud9:

41 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

I thought pence copies were DREK ?:foryou: are they not ???   

Yes - they're drek - but just as good reprints. 

They have the same value as their Marvel Tales / Marvel's Greatest Comics equivalents.  Spread the word. :gossip:

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Hello. Oh, I could waffle on for ages about this. And have done recently, haven't I? 

A few thoughts. When I sold my ASM sets on ebay a few years back, pence always went for less than cents (I had full runs of each so could compare). Many collectors only wanted cents still, probably as a sign of purity. 

Over here, most dealers oddly make no distinction pricewise despite the clear preference for cents copies.  SilverAcre for example don't even specify pence or cents when you order blind online. Order an ASM #1 without checking, and you may get a pence copy. At the fairs, everything 'decent' is priced the same. A couple of times I've chanced my arm saying 'it's a pence copy'. That doesn't work in my experience.

From what I've seen in the US, pence books seem to get listed for less than equivalent cents copies. This reflects the continuing lack of respect for / interest in pence copies as I see it.

I have done a lot of research on pence books and if you type pence price variants into Google my threads here crop up. So I may have played a tiny part in raising the profile. Who knows. This is easily the best comic forum, and I do seem to talk pence books up on it louder than anyone else.

Those that love them, love dearly. Those that don't - the majority - don't with added disdain. There are thousands of members on here, and I get comparatively little interest in the pence threads. So that tells you something. Some even take the trouble to criticise you for calling them price variants like it's some crime. That's not me moaning - it's just a reflection on how few people care. Indeed, most of the UK members on here can't even raise a like / comment most days!

The tide is turning slowly though, especially for keys, but pence books remain relatively unloved cousins by the majority on both sides of the pond. People like me are the exception. That's how I see it - I'd like to hear other Englanders views, as I concentrate more on what exists, rather than what they go for.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. Keep your eyes peeled for my Charlton pence thread by the way, coming soon. It's going to rock the house down. Well, for 3 men and a dog, anyway. Yes, him. Flipping Sparky >:(

Thank you, so much. Very informative!

Do you know if these pence copies were printed at the same time as their US counterparts? Or at a slightly to much later date, like so many other international copies of their US counterparts, some of which seem to have been issued years later and have a cover bearing similar artwork, but decidedly different?

You see a lot of this in DC. There's one seller on ebay I always see listing many Spanish, German, Swedish copies of Superman, Superboy, etc., etc.. Very interesting because of the cover's artwork variation homage to the original.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Thank you, so much. Very informative!

Do you know if these pence copies were printed at the same time as their US counterparts? Or at a slightly to much later date, like so many other international copies of their US counterparts, some of which seem to have been issued years later and have a cover bearing similar artwork, but decidedly different?

You see a lot of this in DC. There's one seller on ebay I always see listing many Spanish, German, Swedish copies of Superman, Superboy, etc., etc.. Very interesting because of the cover's artwork variation homage to the original.

You're welcome. If you check my pence threads, the answers are there. Links below if you have signatures switched on, or you can access them from the 'about me' link on my profile page. Good luck :D

Seen from a non-english perspective they look like "british editions", so – since the Marvel age for me is something *quintessentially* american, I don’t like them.
But no reason to "despise" them – if I was british I would probably love them as much as the US ones.