• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US vs UK copies
2 2

93 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
34 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You love it action-smiley-073.gif

Just dont put me away wet.

Then behave, monkey. (tsk)

6 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

1.thumb.jpg.59fd6470cc370af6402288ee8625fe96.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.6a100bbd1d989b1b97bd5ccb7a211520.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.317237010959b4980df5fa9a4158d380.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.248ba0ab845d96bcfbcb25ee7374782f.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.5cda5977dad3fe4d3bb149cfc55ce9c2.jpg

Those are really nice! I've seen plenty of AS 1 pence copies, but can't say I remember seeing the 2-5 in 9d. Did I just miss them, maybe not making a concerted effort to note them, or do the AS 1 pence issues outnumber the 2-5 likewise?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Marwood & I said:

You're welcome. If you check my pence threads, the answers are there. Links below if you have signatures switched on, or you can access them from the 'about me' link on my profile page. Good luck :D

I'm going to search then read all your threads on the subject. Thank you for your efforts. Very appreciated. (thumbsu

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:52 PM, lizards2 said:

I love pence, and have bought several this year, including an Avengers 7 and an ASM 6.

If you have any HG, discounted pence books you want to unload, let me know..., :whistle:

I am first Lizards2 sell me the pence books after all I am going out with your sister

2 hours ago, woowoo said:
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:52 PM, lizards2 said:

I love pence, and have bought several this year, including an Avengers 7 and an ASM 6.

If you have any HG, discounted pence books you want to unload, let me know..., :whistle:

I am first Lizards2 sell me the pence books after all I am going out with your sister

Look for a pm shortly, sister blisterer...., :devil: 

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Those are really nice! I've seen plenty of AS 1 pence copies, but can't say I remember seeing the 2-5 in 9d. Did I just miss them, maybe not making a concerted effort to note them, or do the AS 1 pence issues outnumber the 2-5 likewise?

ASM 1 is just a popular book so naturally gets more attention. No difference in volumes that I'm aware of. There's a scan of all 101 pence ASM' s in my kudos thread 

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm going to search then read all your threads on the subject. Thank you for your efforts. Very appreciated. (thumbsu

Sooper! I want a full report after (thumbsu

Can any one with knowledge confirm the production percentage of Pence to Cents copies is about 10%? (seems like I've heard that percentage thrown out there but I don't know if it's confirmed or not)

The Census shows the slabbed Pence percentages of Marvel key issues at:

(these are all approximate percentages)

AF15-  2% of cent copies.

ASM1- 1.5% of cent copies

FF1- much less than 1% of cent copies

Hulk1- 2.5% of cent copies

AV1- 1.5% of cent copies

DD1- slightly less than 1% of cent copies

JIM83- 1.5% of cent copies

SGT F1- 1% of cent copies

ST110- 1.5% of cent copies

TTA27- 1.5% of cent copies

TOS39- 2% of cent copies

X1- 1% of cent copies

Do these percentages mean anything?  Could these percentages show that Pence production was probably lower than 10%? 

Notice the FF1 percentage of slabbed pence to slabbed cent copies is the lowest.  Could that mean the total pence production was a smaller percentage at that time?  Strangely, Hulk 1 has the highest pence slabbed percentage.

Edited by gadzukes

7 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Can any one with knowledge confirm the production percentage of Pence to Cents copies is about 10%? (seems like I've heard that percentage thrown out there but I don't know if it's confirmed or not)

The Census shows the slabbed Pence percentages of Marvel key issues at:

(these are all approximate percentages)

AF15-  2% of cent copies.

ASM1- 1.5% of cent copies

FF1- much less than 1% of cent copies

Hulk1- 2.5% of cent copies

AV1- 1.5% of cent copies

DD1- slightly less than 1% of cent copies

JIM83- 1.5% of cent copies

SGT F1- 1% of cent copies

ST110- 1.5% of cent copies

TTA27- 1.5% of cent copies

TOS39- 2% of cent copies

X1- 1% of cent copies

Do these percentages mean anything?  Could these percentages show that Pence production was probably lower than 10%? 

Notice the FF1 percentage of slabbed pence to slabbed cent copies is the lowest.  Could that mean the total pence production was a smaller percentage at that time?  Strangely, Hulk 1 has the highest pence slabbed percentage.

Nice analysis, thanks gadzukes :headbang:

I've never seen a definitive / factually informed statement on the % print run figures for pence copies myself, only anecdotal speculation from the usual crowd / industry figures. Chuck had this to say in one of his Mile High articles:

"Print runs varied, but UK editions were clearly printed in far smaller numbers than US editions. My best guess is that UK editions may have constituted as few as 10% of the total print runs during the 1970's and 1980's."

5-10% has always been the ballpark figure whenever it's been pondered as far as I can see. I doubt the % of submissions to CGC could be relied upon personally as an indicator of actual volumes. If there was an office in the UK, I would likely get mine graded (even though I'm not that into graded books - but ASM 1-5 would probably fair better in slabs, once I came to sell). I suspect there are many like me who baulk at the idea of sending their precious books overseas, especially seeing as how costly it is and how long it seems to take to get them back. I suspect the census % would increase somewhat, if CGC got off their lazy backsides and opened a London office. Frankly, it's always puzzled me why they haven't, perhaps in partnership with the right UK based people, as I'm sure there's a buck to be made. Sorry, a quid :grin: 

37 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Nice analysis, thanks gadzukes :headbang:

I've never seen a definitive / factually informed statement on the % print run figures for pence copies myself, only anecdotal speculation from the usual crowd / industry figures. Chuck had this to say in one of his Mile High articles:

"Print runs varied, but UK editions were clearly printed in far smaller numbers than US editions. My best guess is that UK editions may have constituted as few as 10% of the total print runs during the 1970's and 1980's."

5-10% has always been the ballpark figure whenever it's been pondered as far as I can see. I doubt the % of submissions to CGC could be relied upon personally as an indicator of actual volumes. If there was an office in the UK, I would likely get mine graded (even though I'm not that into graded books - but ASM 1-5 would probably fair better in slabs, once I came to sell). I suspect there are many like me who baulk at the idea of sending their precious books overseas, especially seeing as how costly it is and how long it seems to take to get them back. I suspect the census % would increase somewhat, if CGC got off their lazy backsides and opened a London office. Frankly, it's always puzzled me why they haven't, perhaps in partnership with the right UK based people, as I'm sure there's a buck to be made. Sorry, a quid :grin: 

hm  Maybe CGC should introduce a "before I die" submission tier?  

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

hm  Maybe CGC should introduce a "before I die" submission tier?  

Or 'tear', as the case may be...

23 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I never gave it much thought hm but when you have a coverless Fantasy 15 Hulk 1 FF 1 is there a way to tell if it is a pence copy ?

Lots. 

Peter Parker wears a jumper and trainers in the winter.

Superman changes in a phone box in order to save a aeroplane.

Jughead gets takeaway when he’s peckish and eats chips with his american hamburgers.

Sugar and Spike enjoy candy floss and ice lolly.

Speed Racer has a lot of power under his bonnet and his brother likes to hide in the boot.

Most of the heroes in New York take the underground around town and live in flats or block of flats.

Some of them get surprise guests that live on the second floor because it’s actually the first floor and the first floor is actually the ground floor.

Everyone on both sides of the pond agree you don’t want to use the loo after the Blob has been in there... :whatthe: 

Seriously though pence copies are kind of cool to have for many US collectors but they look different enough that I don’t see parity for US customers on the big dollar books like AF #15 or FF #1, etc.

In other words there are enough US copies out there when you shell out big dollars that you want the country of origin copies.

If I want a first print/appearance of a manga series or character I buy the Japanese Edition first and the first US release second.

Having lived some of my youth in the UK though I could fully understand a native from there preferring their own pence edition over the US version too.

I don’t think it’s any kind of slight either to the UK editions just a normal preference of US buyers. 

16 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Lots. 

Peter Parker wears a jumper and trainers in the winter.

Superman changes in a phone box in order to save a aeroplane.

Jughead gets takeaway when he’s peckish and eats chips with his american hamburgers.

Sugar and Spike enjoy candy floss and ice lolly.

Speed Racer has a lot of power under his bonnet and his brother likes to hide in the boot.

Most of the heroes in New York take the underground around town and live in flats or block of flats.

Some of them get surprise guests that live on the second floor because it’s actually the first floor and the first floor is actually the ground floor.

Everyone on both sides of the pond agree you don’t want to use the loo after the Blob has been in there... :whatthe: 

Seriously though pence copies are kind of cool to have for many US collectors but they look different enough that I don’t see parity for US customers on the big dollar books like AF #15 or FF #1, etc.

In other words there are enough US copies out there when you shell out big dollars that you want the country of origin copies.

If I want a first print/appearance of a manga series or character I buy the Japanese Edition first and the first US release second.

Having lived some of my youth in the UK though I could fully understand a native from there preferring their own pence edition over the US version too.

I don’t think it’s any kind of slight either to the UK editions just a normal preference of US buyers. 

:screwy:                                :hi: N e r V

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

I never gave it much thought hm but when you have a coverless Fantasy 15 Hulk 1 FF 1 is there a way to tell if it is a pence copy ?

There is absolutely no way to tell a coverless Pence from a coverless Cent copy.  They are exactly the same.

Tear off the "price", the "month", and the indicia from the front cover and there is no way to tell either.

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

There is absolutely no way to tell a coverless Pence from a coverless Cent copy.  They are exactly the same.

Tear off the "price", the "month", and the indicia from the front cover and there is no way to tell either.

^^