• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Dealer's Pricing
1 1

116 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2018 at 2:29 PM, Rick2you2 said:

That has to be a little harsh. In a few conversations, with one of them, he was very pleasant to talk to.

And Satan makes a damn fine grilled cheese.....

giphy-8.gif.89335cb23122d01b614ebabac235f6ec.gif

9 hours ago, Nexus said:

This was just brought to my attention, since I rep the artist.

This Paul Pope piece was sold at HA in Aug 2017:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paul-pope-escapo-french-edition-splash-page-illustration-original-art-c-1998-/a/7166-93456.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|9#

It's now on Cool Lines:

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=583124

I can confirm that Paul did not re-ink the piece.

That piece has been utterly defaced and destroyed. 

Fricken Philistines playing Mad Scientist in their hidden volcano lair rendering unique pieces of art permanently ruined. 

9 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

That piece has been utterly defaced and destroyed. 

Fricken Philistines playing Mad Scientist in their hidden volcano lair rendering unique pieces of art permanently ruined. 

Yup, it maddens me infinitely more when it is a piece that I love, bid on and wasn't too far off the winning bid(like this piece.)

6 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Because of what I do for a living (I'm a lawyer, which I had publicly mentioned), I really can't respond. I don't want what I might privately think to be taken in an inappropriate manner.

Sure you can. You're allowed to have an opinion and you're allowed to speak truthfully. As long as you identify your opinions as what they are, there's nothing stopping you. 

12 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

Yup, it maddens me infinitely more when it is a piece that I love, bid on and wasn't too far off the winning bid(like this piece.)

You've got to wonder. What kind of voice in one's head leads someone to mess with unique pieces of artwork like that...

ezgif.com-add-text.gif.15d1a2504da0b6b679fa77f6263a0136.gif

Edited by comix4fun

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Sure you can. You're allowed to have an opinion and you're allowed to speak truthfully. As long as you identify your opinions as what they are, there's nothing stopping you. 

Maybe he's DB's lawyer.

9 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Of course I have opinions. Defacing artwork sucks. Misattribution is misrepresentation, and if intentional, it may be fraud.

Let me add that including decals may not qualify as defacement or material misrepresentation if it doesn't actually affect the underlying art and if the decal itself is not part of the art. But, I still don't like it. 

What I don't want to do is comment with certainty about specific facts. They can sound terrible, but there may be another side to the story. 

19 hours ago, vodou said:

And yet, "benefit of the doubt". Or are you now (finally) past that?

Nice, always, but ruined forever. IMO.

Maybe everybody with fading marker Gil Kane, Jim Starlin, Mike Zeck, John Byrne (among many others) should all invest $2 on a Sharpie and triple the value of their art? Because none of this really matters...right? Sheesh. Thanks for pointing this out Felix.

Even if the original artist re-inked it, it's still not "original" any longer. It's one thing to add an overlay, or MISSING parts of the art (such as the Title graphic, or word balloons). It's entirely something else to mess with the existing image. Felix's account of Jaimie Hernandez might be the exception, where he's doing touchups of otherwise minor issues.

And, I do want to bring up another issue that is only relevant to modern art. That is digital editing AFTER the original pen and ink drawing has been produced. Does anyone think that should be disclosed to the buyer before the sale? The original hand drawn piece may be altered digitally for various reasons. All perfectly legitimate from a comic book production standpoint. Maybe it's to fix a continuity error, or make room for a word balloon, etc. But, this means the published version differs from the OA version, even though the OA version has not been altered.

Back in the pre-digital era, these issues would have been fixed with a Stat, or be re-drawn, or with white out. But, the final image on the page would match the published version.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

I can add a first hand perspective to this Pope tale, as that was a piece I really really wanted when it came up on Heritage, but life happened and I missed the auction. So when the DBs posted the piece to their site I was gutted.

Eric, 

What was the gap in time between the Heritage auction and when you saw it for sale/tried to buy it from DBs?

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Eric, 

What was the gap in time between the Heritage auction and when you saw it for sale/tried to buy it from DBs?

About 2 & 1/2 months or so? So, it's entirely plausable someone could have done the work to it, and shifted it off onto Rich.

If I remember right, it popped up in my feed the day the Coolines site first posted it up. It wasn't long after NYCC. Just a couple weeks or so.

I blame ComicArtTracker!

1 minute ago, ESeffinga said:

About 2 & 1/2 months or so? So, it's entirely plausable someone could have done the work to it, and shifted it off onto Rich.

If I remember right, it popped up in my feed the day the Coolines site first posted it up. It wasn't long after NYCC. Just a couple weeks or so.

I blame ComicArtTracker!

Interesting, and they said it was "picked up at NYCC"....

That's only 1 month after the heritage hammer fell. Knock off a week for shipping time and whomever won it from Heritage only had it for 3-4 weeks and it went from faded to re-inked if it was, in fact, "picked up at NYCC" in it's current condition. 

There was a mentality about "improving" the presentation of original comic art to make it more presentable and saleable.  It wasn't just adding trade dress, there was a fad of hand-coloring by the artist, and charging a premium.  This same concept also showed up within comic books with "restoration".  

The blowback has been pronounced within each community of collectors, and possibly the convergence of those collectors might be driving the trend toward purity of vintage state collectibles within the comics collecting community.

It's not as trendy as "condition", but I think it is hopeful for the future that comic collectors care about provenance.

David S. Albright

1 minute ago, aokartman said:

There was a mentality about "improving" the presentation of original comic art to make it more presentable and saleable.  It wasn't just adding trade dress, there was a fad of hand-coloring by the artist, and charging a premium.  This same concept also showed up within comic books with "restoration".  

The blowback has been pronounced within each community of collectors, and possibly the convergence of those collectors might be driving the trend toward purity of vintage state collectibles within the comics collecting community.

It's not as trendy as "condition", but I think it is hopeful for the future that comic collectors care about provenance.

David S. Albright

And it's incredibly important to Comic Art collectors, especially with the dollars that have entered the hobby in the last 20 years and the corresponding price/value increases. 

When you're paying 4-5-6 figures for a Kirby/Ditko/Byrne/Miller etc. piece. you don't want it to be "Kirby/Ditko/Byrne/Miller--and my cousin Kenny who's handy with a sharpie" piece. 

23 minutes ago, aokartman said:

David S. Albright

It's also important from an historical perspective, as this artform becomes more and more recognized as a classic American art. How the original art actually looked, and its production process, matters when you are examining the history of the publications. What materials and inks people used is relevant to understand their creative process. The fact that certain inks fade, is part of it.

21 hours ago, Nexus said:

I'm of two minds on this. I'm OK if the original inker goes over their original faded marker inks with something archival. This is a matter of preservation. However, I'd rather not have someone who had nothing to do with the original creation re-ink the piece. In either case, it should be disclosed.

I own an early Jaime Hernandez LOVE AND ROCKETS cover that was drawn in India ink, but had some spot blacks filled in with marker. It hadn't faded yet, but given the marker inks of that era, it was simply a matter of time. I consulted with Jaime's rep, Todd Hignite, to see what he thought. He agreed that in the best interests of the art, Jaime should go over the marker with India ink. He said he'd do the same. So he set it up with Jaime and now the cover not only looks great, but is saved for future generations.

(Jaime told me he originally used the marker to fill in some blacks because he was so broke at the time, he was trying to save on India ink! It was a lot of fun hanging out with him and talking about his art while he worked. Thanks Todd!)

As for Paul's art, he occasionally used a Pelikan marker in his early days. It was just another tool in his toolbox. Circa early 2000s, he stopped, after being advised by James Jean on archival inks. All the art I've sold for him has been drawn with these archival inks.

Yeah. To all of the above.

8 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Even if the original artist re-inked it, it's still not "original" any longer. It's one thing to add an overlay, or MISSING parts of the art (such as the Title graphic, or word balloons). It's entirely something else to mess with the existing image. Felix's account of Jaimie Hernandez might be the exception, where he's doing touchups of otherwise minor issues.

And, I do want to bring up another issue that is only relevant to modern art. That is digital editing AFTER the original pen and ink drawing has been produced. Does anyone think that should be disclosed to the buyer before the sale? The original hand drawn piece may be altered digitally for various reasons. All perfectly legitimate from a comic book production standpoint. Maybe it's to fix a continuity error, or make room for a word balloon, etc. But, this means the published version differs from the OA version, even though the OA version has not been altered.

Back in the pre-digital era, these issues would have been fixed with a Stat, or be re-drawn, or with white out. But, the final image on the page would match the published version.

Messing with the existing page - to me it's all about "intent". Are we trying to conserve/preserve or gin up the value when it's sell-time? Is the original artist still alive and willing or another professional post-croak, or is it some dude with $2 to buy a marker and no other skills to speak of?

I don't care what happens digitally. I'm interested in what's physical. It does not need to look like whatever was ultimately published. How big the gap is, and my personal interest in what's being offered physically would affect how much I'll pay though. (Maybe the digital tweaking made for an editorially 'better' image but not to my eye, thus I'd pay even more of the physical that differs!)

So, here is a cover that has been bugging me because of what appears to be marker fade on, of all things, the bat emblem.  Ideas?

I appreciate the sentiment that I, personally, should not fool with it.

But, it would be so much greater with a deep black.

You can click through a couple times to get a magnification of the image.

Edit....I just restored a loose piece  of the title.  You can click through on that to see my work.....a little double tape to reattach the piece I found in the bottom of the mylar.  Scary stuff!        :smirk:

Best, David

batfade.jpg

Image.jpg

Edited by aokartman
detail and image