• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 100 and Cosmic art?!
2 2

291 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, vodou said:

Double the good panel = double the price + NO AUNT MAY = +25k :) , 90k = steal!!

lol 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Of course, I agree. However, this was the "Peter's secret identity discovered" issue. It's the first time he could fight, all the way out, against an enemy without covering his face. 

An enemy that knew who he was, and could hurt him and all the people he loved, and the reason for hiding his face to begin with.

It was a conscious decision in plotting and storytelling to do this, for this issue. 

So the pages with Peter fighting, as Peter (with the little spider showing) are permanently burned into fan's brains for eternity. 

Nothing about Peter being out of full costume, for this particular issue, is really a detractor...at least thematically. 

Excellent point. I haven't read the run straight through since the 90s, too long actually, and I'd forgotten the way this played out and what "no mask" meant. One of many reasons I'm not the right buyer for this stuff anymore...I just like the art, and that (along being short roughly 39 out of 40 'kays' heh) ain't why a winner lusts for this stuff enough to outbid all comers.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

I'm not knocking this at all, it's really nice and price is...price (top bid wins, the most by definition). But objectively there is only one really good panel and a second kinda/sorta/butmaybenot and in both cases Gobby's back is to you. No Spidey costume (really, no). There are a lot of reasons to mark this one down, but still very nice. Haven't looked the book over in decades though so no idea how it compares to other panel pages from the same book.

Lets not overlook the general composition in the layout. But yes, certainly not a top tier page, but it is hardly a 'run of the mill' panel page as first described in this thread. Prices being what prices are... I would never even consider purchasing 99% of the top tier items for their top tier prices, but I often appreciate what they bring to the table. Most of the hobby prefers (I'm going to use the term, just because) "splashy" pages and we all know that is where most of the money goes.

35 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Lets not overlook the general composition in the layout. But yes, certainly not a top tier page, but it is hardly a 'run of the mill' panel page as first described in this thread. Prices being what prices are... I would never even consider purchasing 99% of the top tier items for their top tier prices, but I often appreciate what they bring to the table. Most of the hobby prefers (I'm going to use the term, just because) "splashy" pages and we all know that is where most of the money goes.

Plenty of eye-appeal as the pitchmen would say. Totally appropriate in this case. Nice art.

$40k is a whole 'nother thing though ;)

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Plenty of eye-appeal as the pitchmen would say. Totally appropriate in this case. Nice art.

I feel the same way about a $20k panel page, it's all the same to me, I'm not purchasing either. I tend to logically arrange pages of this sort based on appeal and I ignore their cost as I'm only window shopping - this is a hobby for me, not an attempt to fund (or defund) my retirement.

Whatever esoteric formula places an item at it's FMV is roughly as known as say, the FICO algorithm - we all have some idea of how it works, we understand the individual criteria, but when its all over with we haven't understood the exact details... but even so a number still gets spit out.

12 minutes ago, vodou said:

While I acknowledge the likelihood that interested parties help prop up Romita prices at auction, given these prices there must be other people bidding on and winning these pages (although I would think that pool of bidders diminishes a fair amount once the bidding hits in the $40k+ range, absent a special/splashy page).   I don't collect Romita ASM but even I have been tempted and have bid on some miscellaneous pages (although not from ASM 39) --but not in the higher ranges. 

I also wonder how many bidders/winners are in it to get that one example of a good or great page.  I see some people attempt to do that with Byrne X-Men or 70s/80s non-X-men Byrne (color me guilty on that account as well).

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The 39 cover would go for well over 250k....not even close. It would probably be the most expensive single spiderman piece of art ever sold.

Higher than the ASM #328 cover ($657,250)? hm 

59 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Higher than the ASM #328 cover ($657,250)? hm 

Everyone calls that one the "Super Crotch Punch" cover. 

This discussion is all academic to me anyway. I have a $1000 limit on art purchases. There have been a couple I was tempted on above that number, but even in those cases, it was still maxed out in the $2.5K range. If I ever spend  5 digits on a piece, I'm going for a quality Bolland Dredd page.

Side note: How much would this page from Silver Surfer 44 go for? 

0473AC55-8359-4576-A709-F960435E683A.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

48 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This discussion is all academic to me anyway. I have a $1000 limit on art purchases. There have been a couple I was tempted on above that number, but even in those cases, it was still maxed out in the $2.5K range. If I ever spend  5 digits on a piece, I'm going for a quality Bolland Dredd page.

Lim's Infinity Gauntlet stuff has been going for about $3-4,000 for panel pages.  Maybe a small bump over that, but if I was selling, my expectation would be $4,000 with the juice.

1 minute ago, jaybuck43 said:

Lim's Infinity Gauntlet stuff has been going for about $3-4,000 for panel pages.  Maybe a small bump over that, but if I was selling, my expectation would be $4,000 with the juice.

I think it would push 5 figures. Literal second appearance of the Inifity Gauntlet after the cover. Classic Thanos half-splash, historic Page. If put up NOW, would draw a lot of attention with the movie coming out. 

54 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The market on Surfer/Thanos has gone absolutely NUTS in the last year or two.

Someone came to me here asking my appraisal of some pages like this, and it was a couple years back. I can't remember the actual appraisal values but, based on the two or three auctions that came within months of that, I had to run back to him and double my estimates, I didn't want him to sell or offer at what I had originally stated. The world had changed dramatically on these.

Another year hence and I should probably track down that PM and tell him to up the numbers again.....they've gone completely crazy. 

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

The market on Surfer/Thanos has gone absolutely NUTS in the last year or two.

Someone came to me here asking my appraisal of some pages like this, and it was a couple years back. I can't remember the actual appraisal values but, based on the two or three auctions that came within months of that, I had to run back to him and double my estimates, I didn't want him to sell or offer at what I had originally stated. The world had changed dramatically on these.

Another year hence and I should probably track down that PM and tell him to up the numbers again.....they've gone completely crazy. 

Yep. This page especially is probably the holy grail for Infinity Gauntlet related OA, aside from the cover to SS 44. BTW, a guy just posted this on a Facebook group. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yep. This page especially is probably the holy grail for Infinity Gauntlet related OA, aside from the cover to SS 44. BTW, a guy just posted this on a Facebook group. 

Is the Guy's name Mike?