• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 100 and Cosmic art?!
2 2

291 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, rocket1312 said:

I'm under 40 and a Lim Surfer page is very high on my want list.  When it comes to early 90's Marvel nostalgia, Lim cosmic is right there below the Image crew.  His work can be very hit or miss, but when it's on, it's on.  Purely on artistic merits I don't think that #44 page is a great one, but storywise it's THE Lim Thanos page to own, isn't it?  I'd say mid to high 4 figures though.  No way it hits 10k. 

All that said, Perez vs. Lim?  Perez everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  Let's not be silly.

I said it would "push" 5 figures. Didn't say it necessarily would command that. But, frankly, given the importance of the page, and the timing, it MIGHT. If Mike put that up for auction within the next 3 months, he could get close, for sure.

53 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Ummm...is it? Doesn't Kane's prelim exist for this? Yes. Yes it does. And, it doesn't matter anyway. The #153 cover is vastly superior to the #100 cover. So it should command a higher price.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/gil-kane-amazing-spider-man-151-cover-preliminary-artwork-original-art-marvel-1975-/a/7139-92100.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

(thumbsu   The execution may have been mostly romita if that's what john says (and you can see it in various places but yeah the design looks all kane even before viewing the prelim - thanks for posting that).

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

(thumbsu   The execution may have been mostly romita if that's what john says (and you can see it in various places but yeah the design looks all kane even before viewing the prelim - thanks for posting that).

That's one of the covers where the finished/published product does not do the Original Art justice.  

8 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

True.  It's part of the packet the Cabal sends to everyone upon their 40th birthday.

I turn 40 this August and the Cabal has already sent me a packet with this grail. It has a $19,500 price tag. C’mon now. I was born in ‘78, not 1970. :nyah:

9B51079C-CE06-4839-B234-ABFF66ACBD47.png

57 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I turn 40 this August and the Cabal has already sent me a packet with this grail. It has a $19,500 price tag. C’mon now. I was born in ‘78, not 1970. :nyah:

9B51079C-CE06-4839-B234-ABFF66ACBD47.png

Nice of them to donate the whole $19.5k to fight drug abuse......

11 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It does make you wonder why Keebler would want a war on marijuana. :cool:

Yeah....munchies be like a big part of the quarterly bottom line...yo.

giphy.gif

On 1/19/2018 at 11:02 AM, romitaman said:

this cover is mostly ROMITA!!! (confirmed by john Romita) So what did this cover sell for???

One again, inappropriate for a person of your stature that has expressed an interest in a piece to be commenting. There is a conflict here if you are both “market maker” and interested buyer. Not fair to be pointing out non comparable  “comps” as if that is a true apple to apple comparison. JMHO

On 1/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, Bronty said:

There are many covers from the silver and bronze age that were "prelimed" by one artist (including many by Marie Severin) and then penciled by a bigger name (such as Kirby or Romita) and then inked by someone else.  How they are described -- and how they are slammed or "outed" by interested parties as "NOT the work of bigname artist" seems to vary depending on when and where they are being sold, and by whom.

Edited by bluechip

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, comix4fun said:

Don't people still differentiate between Perez and Lim? 

Does anyone dipping their toe into artwork at these price levels pay attention to the difference between artist's relative markets?

Hey Chris,

Of course without considering context Perez is the superior artist to Lim.  However, Lim is the artist most associated with Silver Surfer and the Thanos Sage/IG, having dong the art on Thanos Quest, which started the modern Thanos Saga, and then all the 40-50+ issues of the regular series.  Perez did 4 issues of a mini-series that basically rode the popularity of the regular series and took it to a whole new frenzy.  When collectors went back and re-discovered the run and art, the Perez art commanded higher prices because Perez was the "known" rock star and Lim was not yet.  Remember, Perez was drawing since the 70s and made a name in multiple runs, including Titans, Crisis, etc. by then, whereas Lim was a young kid on the block.  Fast forward to the present era and, like Keown on Hulk for example, Lim is a true rock star as far as Surfer fans are concerned.  Thus, we have to re-evaluate the prices in that context.  Truth be told, Perez is less important to Thanos/IG than Surfer is.  This being said, Perez gets a big bump because those first four covers to the limited series were simply gorgeous.  He is top 5 of all time as far as covers are concerned.

So, all things considered, I think both artists Thanos pages will go up and stay up.  Lim will catch up, trust me.  Not surprised that pages will hit 10K.  Not at all.

I own several nice pages, splashes and covers from both artists and love them all.

And then of course there's Buscema Surfer :).  Blows them all away!

1 hour ago, heartened said:

Fast forward to the present era and, like Keown on Hulk for example, Lim is a true rock star as far as Surfer fans are concerned.

:headbang:

Truth be told, Perez is less important to Thanos/IG than Surfer Lim is.

I believe this is what you meant, correct? 

So, all things considered, I think both artists Thanos pages will go up and stay up.  Lim will catch up, trust me.  Not surprised that pages will hit 10K.  Not at all.

I'd say some are already past that :wink:

And then of course there's Buscema Surfer :).  Blows them all away!

For Surfer, my personal hierarchy of these 3 artists is:

1. Lim :cloud9:
  2. Buscema
  3. Perez

33 minutes ago, O. said:

For Surfer, my personal hierarchy of these 3 artists is:

1. Lim :cloud9:
  2. Buscema
  3. Perez

original.gif

Any discussion of Surfer begins with a battle between Buscema and the King. 

Kirby gave the surfer form and substance and shape for the first time and those FF stories with him are some of the very best stories in ANY comic much less just a Surfer comic. 

Buscema elevated the character even further with his '68 run. 

While I love Ron Lim, I've owned his work, commissioned his work, enjoyed his work off the stands in my prime comic reading youth years....I can't ignore what Kirby and JB did with that character, personal nostalgia aside.

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Any discussion of Surfer begins with a battle between Buscema and the King.

1 hour ago, malvin said:

Marshall Rogers! Don't forget Marshall Rogers! :)

Malvin

Hari's initial discussion was confined to Lim/Perez/Buscema Surfer art, thus "my personal hierarchy of these 3 artists":rulez:

After a recent read through, I appreciate Rogers' SS run more - and Englehart's stories were stellar! Big John's Surfer (and his art in general) just don't do much for me(shrug)

For kicks, here are my favourite Marvel Cosmic artists (ranked in order of aesthetic preference):

1. Ron Lim
  2. Angel Medina
  3. Tom Raney
  4. Jack Kirby
  5. George Perez
  6. Jim Starlin