• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 100 and Cosmic art?!
2 2

291 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yep. This page especially is probably the holy grail for Infinity Gauntlet related OA, aside from the cover to SS 44. BTW, a guy just posted this on a Facebook group. 

Don't people still differentiate between Perez and Lim? 

Does anyone dipping their toe into artwork at these price levels pay attention to the difference between artist's relative markets?

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Does anyone dipping their toe into artwork at these price levels pay attention to the difference between artist's relative markets?

I get you here with the question, but I wonder if those with wallets open do differentiate? There is that fragile see-saw balance of artist:content, but it's being upended against expectations more and more (even on the same "type" content!) The other thing...maybe it's Lim's turn and Perez has been in the limelight for so long, that light is beginning to fade? (I dunno about that, not a fan of either, just noting the passing of the torch effect that also occurs generationally...)

15 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

This is a situation where the relevant page is from a key book and is THE key page in that key book. 

If the art were by Perez vs Lim, it might be 50-100% more valuable. 

But, also, certain artists become fan and collector favorites and Lim seems to be moving into that category vis a vis cosmic Marvel art. Particularly Thanos, and Surfer art.  

That said, a Lim IG page might be worth less than this one. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

11 minutes ago, vodou said:

I get you here with the question, but I wonder if those with wallets open do differentiate? There is that fragile see-saw balance of artist:content, but it's being upended against expectations more and more (even on the same "type" content!) The other thing...maybe it's Lim's turn and Perez has been in the limelight for so long, that light is beginning to fade? (I dunno about that, not a fan of either, just noting the passing of the torch effect that also occurs generationally...)

I think they do differentiate. But this is a key page from a key book. The artist is ~almost~ irrelevant. 

In the post Image / X-Treme (whatever you want to call the 90's) readers have been conditioned to believe story / writing is more important than the artist, with a few exceptions.  Marvel (I don't feel like DC is nearly as guilty) has really pushed that the most important part of the comic is the writer, the story, the art and a lot of the artists are interchangeable.  There is no such thing (outside of bagley) where there's a long run on a major title.  3-4 issue rotation crew is the norm.

I think people will always pay a premium for the star artists, but I really believe story trumps art in a lot of collector's minds.  There is some mediocre Sandman art that's fetching mid 4-figures because Morpheus is on the page.  Not knocking it.  but it's not the art (or artist) at all that's driving the price.

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:

The answer to this question is that the most expensive panel page, as far as I know, is still by Herb Trimpe.  'nuff said.

Based on the Dead Poet Society-esque mathematical formulas that you guys have been using in this thread to determine value of a piece of OA, I would say that the artist appears to be only one of the variables that gets plugged into your formulas. 

5 minutes ago, tth2 said:

The answer to this question is that the most expensive panel page, as far as I know, is still by Herb Trimpe.  'nuff said.

Based on the Dead Poet Society-esque mathematical formulas that you guys have been using in this thread to determine value of a piece of OA, I would say that the artist appears to be only one of the variables that gets plugged into your formulas. 

Well, this isn't Wolverine. I've read Wolverine. I know Wolverine well....this ain't the first appearance of Wolverine. 

But, you're right, artist is only one of the factors in price. It's one of the single biggest ones, but it's just one. 

Edited by comix4fun

7 hours ago, comix4fun said:

the one thing that is odd is that Perez pages are regular sized while Lim's are large art.  I talked to Lim about this and he didn't know Perez did his art on regular board, he was under the impression that Perez also drew on large art like he did (and I assume he was told to do so). I joked that maybe thats how they show extra detail on his art!

Malvin

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Well, this isn't Wolverine. I've read Wolverine. I know Wolverine well....this ain't the first appearance of Wolverine. 

But, you're right, artist is only one of the factors in price. It's one of the single biggest ones, but it's just one. 

I’m not into cosmic Marvel, but when I was in middle school my peers thought Ron Lim and Silver Surfer and Infinity Gauntlet were right up there with the best of Marvel’s books; so if it’s guys my age inflating the price on those page, then it wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t differentiate between Lim and Perez, O Captain! My Captain!

(I couldn’t resist.)

Really loving all this Lim/Perez/IG/Thanos/SS talk :luhv:

It's heartwarming to see Marvel Cosmic OA get its due... but heartbreaking to be priced out of the market :frown:

BTW I think there's still a clear distinction between Perez/Lim IG prices. The market moves (up) so fast that it's hard to be sure, but I'd say Lim Thanos with Gauntlet IG pages start around $4k, and Perez ones would be double that. Should also be noted that Thanos dons the Gauntlet in all his Perez IG pages, whereas a lot of Lim Thanos IG pages are sans Gauntlet.

Maybe I should write an article on Infinity saga OA hm

On 1/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

this cover is mostly ROMITA!!! (confirmed by john Romita) So what did this cover sell for???

Edited by romitaman

I'm under 40 and a Lim Surfer page is very high on my want list.  When it comes to early 90's Marvel nostalgia, Lim cosmic is right there below the Image crew.  His work can be very hit or miss, but when it's on, it's on.  Purely on artistic merits I don't think that #44 page is a great one, but storywise it's THE Lim Thanos page to own, isn't it?  I'd say mid to high 4 figures though.  No way it hits 10k. 

All that said, Perez vs. Lim?  Perez everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  Let's not be silly.

2 hours ago, romitaman said:

Ythis cover is mostly ROMITA!!! (confirmed by john Romita) So what did this cover sell for???

Ummm...is it? Doesn't Kane's prelim exist for this? Yes. Yes it does. And, it doesn't matter anyway. The #153 cover is vastly superior to the #100 cover. So it should command a higher price.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/gil-kane-amazing-spider-man-151-cover-preliminary-artwork-original-art-marvel-1975-/a/7139-92100.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by PhilipB2k17