• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 100 and Cosmic art?!
2 2

291 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, O. said:

Hari's initial discussion was confined to Lim/Perez/Buscema Surfer art, thus "my personal hierarchy of these 3 artists":rulez:

After a recent read through, I appreciate Rogers' SS run more - and Englehart's stories were stellar! Big John's Surfer (and his art in general) just don't do much for me(shrug)

For kicks, here are my favourite Marvel Cosmic artists (ranked in order of aesthetic preference):

1. Ron Lim
  2. Angel Medina
  3. Tom Raney
  4. Jack Kirby
  5. George Perez
  6. Jim Starlin

Whenever anyone starts talking Surfer, and they try to leave out Kirby...you put Kirby back in there. :sumo:

Angel Medina and Tom Raney?  Interesting choices. I would suggest that you print out this list and attach it to any birthday and Christmas cards you send them as I am sure they will keep it up on their fridge long after the holiday has come and gone. 

If you're going straight aesthetics give Moebius' Surfer a look see. He drew one of the prettiest Surfer's ever. It felt like he was almost slumming he was so good. 

9 hours ago, O. said:

Hari's initial discussion was confined to Lim/Perez/Buscema Surfer art, thus "my personal hierarchy of these 3 artists":rulez:

After a recent read through, I appreciate Rogers' SS run more - and Englehart's stories were stellar! Big John's Surfer (and his art in general) just don't do much for me(shrug)

For kicks, here are my favourite Marvel Cosmic artists (ranked in order of aesthetic preference):

1. Ron Lim
  2. Angel Medina
  3. Tom Raney
  4. Jack Kirby
  5. George Perez
  6. Jim Starlin

If I did gifs and memes, I'd go all Planet of the Apes and have Charlton Heston raging "It's a mad house!  A MAD HOUSE!!!!"  :makepoint:

:jokealert:

14 hours ago, heartened said:

Hey Chris,

Of course without considering context Perez is the superior artist to Lim.  However, Lim is the artist most associated with Silver Surfer and the Thanos Sage/IG, having dong the art on Thanos Quest, which started the modern Thanos Saga, and then all the 40-50+ issues of the regular series.  Perez did 4 issues of a mini-series that basically rode the popularity of the regular series and took it to a whole new frenzy.  When collectors went back and re-discovered the run and art, the Perez art commanded higher prices because Perez was the "known" rock star and Lim was not yet.  Remember, Perez was drawing since the 70s and made a name in multiple runs, including Titans, Crisis, etc. by then, whereas Lim was a young kid on the block.  Fast forward to the present era and, like Keown on Hulk for example, Lim is a true rock star as far as Surfer fans are concerned.  Thus, we have to re-evaluate the prices in that context.  Truth be told, Perez is less important to Thanos/IG than Surfer is.  This being said, Perez gets a big bump because those first four covers to the limited series were simply gorgeous.  He is top 5 of all time as far as covers are concerned.

So, all things considered, I think both artists Thanos pages will go up and stay up.  Lim will catch up, trust me.  Not surprised that pages will hit 10K.  Not at all.

I own several nice pages, splashes and covers from both artists and love them all.

And then of course there's Buscema Surfer :).  Blows them all away!

Welcome back Hari!!!

7 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

If I did gifs and memes, I'd go all Planet of the Apes and have Charlton Heston raging "It's a mad house!  A MAD HOUSE!!!!"  :makepoint:

I was actually searching for that animated gif as I clicked on the thread and saw your post. lol

17 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I made you one to use in just such a situation.....

5a6a0f36e0b61_MadHouseForScott.gif.dd956604fc8077eeba31171b73c0d709.gif

I love this board.  Drop in on page ten of a discussion about the ASM 100 cover and here's a spirited argument (already settled 20 years ago on a fictive submarine, no less) about which artist does the best Silver Surfer.  Thread Drift isn't enough -- we have disappeared into a...

phantomthread.jpg

8 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I love this board.  Drop in on page ten of a discussion about the ASM 100 cover and here's a spirited argument (already settled 20 years ago on a fictive submarine, no less) about which artist does the best Silver Surfer.  Thread Drift isn't enough -- we have disappeared into a...

phantomthread.jpg

Is that a reference to Crimson Tide, a movie I haven’t seen? Didn’t Tarantino write that dialogue?

Two random observations---while not a real Cosmic artist, Buckler did his version of Silver Surfer pages in FF in the 70s, and while I'm not a big fan, those pages command high prices. 

And I am surprised that Starlin doesn't get more Cosmic love.  His 70s Captain Marvel/Avengers/Warlock Thanos art was great (later wasn't too bad either). 

3 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Two random observations---while not a real Cosmic artist, Buckler did his version of Silver Surfer pages in FF in the 70s, and while I'm not a big fan, those pages command high prices. 

And I am surprised that Starlin doesn't get more Cosmic love.  His 70s Captain Marvel/Avengers/Warlock Thanos art was great (later wasn't too bad either). 

Well, when it comes to Capt. Marvel/Warlock/Thanos cosmic art, that's the top of the mountain as far as I'm concerned.  Wait until you see the new Starlin Artifacts Artist Edition that Scott Dunbier is wrapping up.

20 hours ago, comix4fun said:

original.gif

Any discussion of Surfer begins with a battle between Buscema and the King. 

Kirby gave the surfer form and substance and shape for the first time and those FF stories with him are some of the very best stories in ANY comic much less just a Surfer comic. 

Buscema elevated the character even further with his '68 run. 

While I love Ron Lim, I've owned his work, commissioned his work, enjoyed his work off the stands in my prime comic reading youth years....I can't ignore what Kirby and JB did with that character, personal nostalgia aside.

21 hours ago, comix4fun said:

original.gif

Any discussion of Surfer begins with a battle between Buscema and the King. 

Kirby gave the surfer form and substance and shape for the first time and those FF stories with him are some of the very best stories in ANY comic much less just a Surfer comic. 

Buscema elevated the character even further with his '68 run. 

While I love Ron Lim, I've owned his work, commissioned his work, enjoyed his work off the stands in my prime comic reading youth years....I can't ignore what Kirby and JB did with that character, personal nostalgia aside.

Completely agree.  Buscema's art is the prettiest in my opinion - some of the most graceful, smooth and elegant art on the Surfer ever.  Kirby is my second favorite, but mostly for the stories and the raw energy he drew into the Surfer.  The Perez IG covers are gorgeous, but I'm a bit biased.

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Welcome back Hari!!!

Thanks Scott!  Not sure how long I'll be here - life and career pull me away a lot these days, but I'll try to stick around!  I'll stick around longer if you sell me some goodies - you know my taste lol