• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 100 and Cosmic art?!
2 2

291 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, wormboy said:

Though his body of work on Surfer is tiny, I love Stokoe's Surfer:

5a6aa99692ca6_stokoeSurfer.jpg.9a126b33cabe8c98d2f36d93db2d3db1.jpg

Like that cover A LOT. That Galactus and cityscape is tremendous.

lol Just noticed @Panelfan1 edited the name of this thread... now I won't feel so bad krapping all over it!

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, comix4fun said:

If you're going straight aesthetics give Moebius' Surfer a look see. He drew one of the prettiest Surfer's ever. It felt like he was almost slumming he was so good. 

I'm actually really drawn to his Galactus - was very close to pulling the trigger on a great page recently. Moebius' commentary in the Parable hardcover discusses how he tried to adapt his style to American comics for this project, and provides fascinating insights into the mind of a master.

23 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I made you one to use in just such a situation.....

5a6a0f36e0b61_MadHouseForScott.gif.dd956604fc8077eeba31171b73c0d709.gif

:golfclap:

23 hours ago, delekkerste said:

tumblr_n18bkokU801rrkahjo3_400.gif

:o

15 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Well, when it comes to Capt. Marvel/Warlock/Thanos cosmic art, that's the top of the mountain as far as I'm concerned.  Wait until you see the new Starlin Artifacts Artist Edition that Scott Dunbier is wrapping up.

Bah couldn't get Scott scans in the format he needed:frown:

12 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Put me down for Buscema as #1 SS artist followed by Kirby.  I actually don't care for Lim but like Tom Grindberg.

927890-ss_splash.jpg

Ya Grindberg's '90s Marvel Cosmic stuff is growing on me... and still so ridiculously cheap!

12 hours ago, wormboy said:

Though his body of work on Surfer is tiny, I love Stokoe's Surfer:

5a6aa99692ca6_stokoeSurfer.jpg.9a126b33cabe8c98d2f36d93db2d3db1.jpg

That would do very nicely in lieu of a Moebius pagehm

As far as Silver Surfer goes nobody can top Jack Kirby because its his character people! But then there have been a lot of great artist on the character. John Buscema, Marshall Rogers, Ron Lim and Mike Allred. Their all good I would evaluate pages that I could acquire page by page to determine which would be the best if I were in the market for some but the current pricing takes it off my budget.

Romita 100 cover will command a good price tag and definitely worth it as long as no foul play takes place.

On 1/25/2018 at 3:42 PM, Ironmandrd said:

Two random observations---while not a real Cosmic artist, Buckler did his version of Silver Surfer pages in FF in the 70s, and while I'm not a big fan, those pages command high prices. 

And I am surprised that Starlin doesn't get more Cosmic love.  His 70s Captain Marvel/Avengers/Warlock Thanos art was great (later wasn't too bad either). 

I have a Buckler FF Page with the Surfer. Admittedly he’s tiny and not doing a whole lot  but the Torch & Kang are having some fun  

B582C9DD-649D-40AE-8E9F-1ECBC713A4EE.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 1/26/2018 at 11:56 AM, O. said:

lol Just noticed @Panelfan1 edited the name of this thread... now I won't feel so bad krapping all over it!

I'm actually really drawn to his Galactus - was very close to pulling the trigger on a great page recently. Moebius' commentary in the Parable hardcover discusses how he tried to adapt his style to American comics for this project, and provides fascinating insights into the mind of a master.

:golfclap:

:o

Bah couldn't get Scott scans in the format he needed:frown:

Ya Grindberg's '90s Marvel Cosmic stuff is growing on me... and still so ridiculously cheap!

That would do very nicely in lieu of a Moebius pagehm

A Stokoe Galactus is what I want. 

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

I don't believe he takes commissions any longer, but I think he's on Cadence so you could always reach out and ask.

Do you know why he doesn’t take commissions? Busy schedule? Just wondering if by this you mean temporarily or permanently?

Long thread that was fun to read straight through.

No idea where ASM 100 will hammer – that’s not my end of the pool (heck, I don’t even know where that pool exists … I probably need a pass from the cabal to take a dip there). I do find a post valuing the art at a point that is apparently much lower than the seller it believes to hammer to be in bad taste personally. I wouldn’t do it. I will say this – it will have more of my attention based on the discussion here. I wonder if the phrase “any marketing is good marketing” applies? Fun to watch play out.

As for the surfer discussion, once again not my bailiwick but I do know that Lim has a very strong following and his cosmic stuff is VERY desired with more than a few willing to duke it out for cosmic pages. His art is still on a drastic price growth curve. I would be holding this stuff right now with all the hype coming with the new movie. I feel very fortunate to have secured an opening splash from a cosmic story that contained the Hulk. Lim’s surfer run was always one of the first issues I read from my weekly Thursday comic stack. He has a large following that might just now be seeing price increases spurred by IG.

Edited by JadeGiant

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:26 AM, JadeGiant said:

As for the surfer discussion, once again not my bailiwick but I do know that Lim has a very strong following and his cosmic stuff is VERY desired with more than a few willing to duke it out for cosmic pages. His art is still on a drastic price growth curve.

Spot on Dave. I was astonished by the prices those three Lim Infinity Gauntlet #5 panel pages (Thanos sans the Gauntlet) just fetched at HA ($7.8k, $5.5k, $9.6k)!

Lim Infinity War prices also appear to have skyrocketed (again), with this Thanos panel page getting $3.1k at CLink:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/02/09/market-report-february-2018-comiclink-focused-auction/

5 hours ago, O. said:

Spot on Dave. I was astonished by the prices those three Lim Infinity Gauntlet #5 panel pages (Thanos sans the Gauntlet) just fetched at HA ($7.8k, $5.5k, $9.6k)!

Lim Infinity War prices also appear to have skyrocketed (again), with this Thanos panel page getting $3.1k at CLink:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/02/09/market-report-february-2018-comiclink-focused-auction/

Im completely mind boggled by this! I always figured myself pretty savy at valuing the stuff in my wheel house. But every year since 2014 the cosmic market has left me dumbfounded. This has to be getting to the ceiling.  It can't keep going up like this. (Not that Im complaining!!!!)   

On 1/13/2018 at 6:13 AM, romitaman said:

I own all but a couple pages to asm 100... 1 of my favorite issues......I owned this asm #100 cover and I sold it around 2006...i tried to buy it back from the owner a few months ago privately. i offered him 250k GREEN..... FLOWN TO HIM BY ME and he passed on my offer... He said he feels it will sell for more....... (which means it will have to sell OVER 300k at auction for him to get more than my offer.........)  we'll see if that happens.

This cover is inked by Frank Giacoia and "NOT ROMITA".... I honestly feel this hurts the value some as all of the background characters look as if they are half drawn.....John Romita would have put a lot more effort into the inking had he inked this cover himself. Only the kingpin image is penciled and inked by John Romita and for me personally, it's easy to see how nice that image looks versus the rest of the background characters. MJ and Gwen look off some and not like fully detailed Romita images.....so in hindsight....after thinking it all over...... i'm glad he turned down my offer as i'll wait for a twice up goody in the future and we will all see if it sells for less than my offer. :)

Cough cough... conflict of interest... cough cough

Do people really still fall for these obvious tactics to manipulate markets in 2018 ?

i wish dealers would have some scruples and not do this stuff