ASM 100 and Cosmic art?!
3 3

295 posts in this topic

75 posts
1 hour ago, romitaman said:

Funny story about ASM #75.......... (I know you are referring to the cover...... but i have a great story about the complete ASM #75 STORY)..................... in a CBG ad around 1993..... JIM MOONEY put out an ad just advertising ALL of his art for sale from all of his inked Marvel books. He listed about 10-12 titles from marvel he had art to..... including ASM art.... but you had to call him to find out what he had. I called him up and bought EVERY ASM interior he inked from ASM around #193 up to ASM #242. He also sold me about 5-6 pages he still had from ASM #81...the first Kangaroo story.  i bought well over 300 pages from him....... paid around 35 bucks each for them all... many splashes also included. But Jim told me he still had the complete 20 page story to ASM #75 he drew with John Romita...... I told him i'd pay him 2000 dollars cash for the story......but he said he was saving it for his son. I told him if he or his son ever wants to sell to please call me back........... 1 year later he calls me back and said his son needs money and if i could pay $3000 cash for it then its mine and i agreed to the deal.  Later that same year of 1994 in December...... a comic store owner in Baltimore (who i met in 1993 at the Diamond distribution Sales Conference) called me up and offered me the complete ASM #67 book for 4000 dollars and i happily agreed to buy it...and the very next month he offered me the complete ASM 69 interior 20 page story for the same 4000. I was quite happy to get those 2 books at the time............. I have since sold about 1/3 of each book privately to other collectors over the years.

Mike out of curiosity since you are very well informed have you ever heard anything about the cover to Amazing Fantasy #15?  

Thank you Kindly Sir

607 posts
4 hours ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

Mike out of curiosity since you are very well informed have you ever heard anything about the cover to Amazing Fantasy #15?  

Thank you Kindly Sir

ha ha ha....sadly no.

there was a rumor going around for many years in the 1990s that the cover to Captain America #1 was around...but i'm not sure if that rumor ever came true.

475 posts
11 hours ago, romitaman said:

Funny story about ASM #75.......... (I know you are referring to the cover...... but i have a great story about the complete ASM #75 STORY)..................... in a CBG ad around 1993..... JIM MOONEY put out an ad just advertising ALL of his art for sale from all of his inked Marvel books. He listed about 10-12 titles from marvel he had art to..... including ASM art.... but you had to call him to find out what he had. I called him up and bought EVERY ASM interior he inked from ASM around #193 up to ASM #242. He also sold me about 5-6 pages he still had from ASM #81...the first Kangaroo story.  i bought well over 300 pages from him....... paid around 35 bucks each for them all... many splashes also included. But Jim told me he still had the complete 20 page story to ASM #75 he drew with John Romita...... I told him i'd pay him 2000 dollars cash for the story......but he said he was saving it for his son. I told him if he or his son ever wants to sell to please call me back........... 1 year later he calls me back and said his son needs money and if i could pay $3000 cash for it then its mine and i agreed to the deal.  Later that same year of 1994 in December...... a comic store owner in Baltimore (who i met in 1993 at the Diamond distribution Sales Conference) called me up and offered me the complete ASM #67 book for 4000 dollars and i happily agreed to buy it...and the very next month he offered me the complete ASM 69 interior 20 page story for the same 4000. I was quite happy to get those 2 books at the time............. I have since sold about 1/3 of each book privately to other collectors over the years.

Here's the CBG ad that Mike mentioned.  For more gut-wrenching blasts from the past, check out www.comicartads.com

Shamelessly yours, Lee

MooneyVariousPages_CBG071792.jpg

92 posts

I just threw up a little.  Wish I'd started buying art in the early 90s instead of continuing to buy comics that were on a huge downward decline in quality.    

Very cool story though!  I think it always means more when you buy the art directly from the artist.  

53 posts
On 3/14/2018 at 1:07 AM, romitaman said:

now...since it seems my opinions always get copied and pasted a lot here... (LOL) , should i even mention about the ASM 61 having about 40-50 things different on the art versus the published cover?

This ASM #61 cover/OA comparison might be useful if anyone wants to see what Mike is talking about.  Scroll down until you find the slider bar and you can go back and forth between the published cover and the original art.

75 posts
1 hour ago, D Parker said:

This ASM #61 cover/OA comparison might be useful if anyone wants to see what Mike is talking about.  Scroll down until you find the slider bar and you can go back and forth between the published cover and the original art.

Any chance you know how to make a comparison version of the Captain America #100 cover?  or where to find one?

It would be helpful as reference for another current thread.

thank you

captain 100.jpg

cap 100.png

Edited by MarvelComicsArt

623 posts
53 minutes ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

Any chance you know how to make a comparison version of the Captain America #100 cover?  or where to find one?

thank you

https://juxtapose.knightlab.com/

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=69740292-2fba-11e8-b263-0edaf8f81e27

75 posts
27 minutes ago, Twanj said:

thank you very much! much appreciated 

this is being used in the "Original pencils versus blue line inks thread"  link below

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/79330-original-pencilsinks-vs-pencils-and-seperate-blueline-inks/?page=2

1,634 posts
On 2018-03-15 at 2:29 AM, romitaman said:

John Romita does not own ASM 39.... nor does Stan Lee..... John said he hasnt seen the asm orignal since the early 80s.

So it IS out there...it just hasn't surfaced in 35 odd years...

1,634 posts
On 2018-03-24 at 3:33 AM, romitaman said:

ha ha ha....sadly no.

there was a rumor going around for many years in the 1990s that the cover to Captain America #1 was around...but i'm not sure if that rumor ever came true.

I wonder who started that rumour and why?  hm

1,634 posts
19 hours ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

thank you

captain 100.jpg

cap 100.png

Gorgeous inking on the original art.  Too bad so much of it is missing on the printed cover.  I much prefer Cap's head on the original art to that of the comic...

167 posts

I have never seen the cap 100 OA before.  I assume it is in a private collector's hands, and I assume that is the owner is generally known in the OA community, so if it is not breaking anyone's confidence, could someone please tell me who owns this?  Thanks.

607 posts

According to rumors........The cap 100 cover was never an actual cover......only cut out separate character drawings in an envelope for many years..... it was put together on newly created cover stock....not sure the exact year that was. 

Edited by romitaman

33,808 posts

Great stories, Mike.   Thanks for posting that stuff.   So much secrecy/mystery about this part of the hobby, that it's great when someone "opens the book" and gives the rest of us a little peek.  

75 posts
6 hours ago, romitaman said:

According to rumors........The cap 100 cover was never an actual cover......only cut out separate character drawings in an envelope for many years..... it was put together on newly created cover stock....not sure the exact year that was. 

Mike is totally 100% correct. 

According to Rumors it was never an actual cover. All individual character drawings. That were pieced together at a later date in time.

If anyone is interested in more info on this Cap 100 cover here is another thread. ( page 2 of the thread)