• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a raw "unrestored" comic from a boardie and it's come back Qualified
1 1

253 posts in this topic

I bought a raw high grade Silver Marvel 6 months ago from a long time boardie.  I sent it to CCS for a press and then on to CGC and it came back today as a "Qualified".

I contacted him 3 days ago and haven't received a response even though I know he's been on the boards in that time.

Should I just suck it up as the risk of buying a raw comic or should we be held to a higher standard here on the boards.  I'm not a huge fan of qualified especially when I'm expecting a Blue label.

BTW, I'm not accusing him of any hanky panky.  I'm experienced and I didn't notice it had a Married cover.... he might have missed it too.

Edited by gadzukes

48 minutes ago, comicquant said:

By not communicating they're essentially admitting they knew the cover was married.  If it were me who sold you the book I would've given you a full refund, no question about it.

I don't know if non-communication = an admission.  They might be trying to contact whoever THEY bought the comics from before responding, or looking through their other books from similar circumstances, though it seems like responding first is a better course of action.  I'd say three days (even with other activities on the boards) especially around a holiday is a bit early to write them off. 

But I don't think anything is lost by continuing to pursue the issue politely.

51 minutes ago, revat said:

I don't know if non-communication = an admission.  They might be trying to contact whoever THEY bought the comics from before responding, or looking through their other books from similar circumstances, though it seems like responding first is a better course of action.  I'd say three days (even with other activities on the boards) especially around a holiday is a bit early to write them off. 

But I don't think anything is lost by continuing to pursue the issue politely.

13 minutes ago, Ottobord said:

6 months is a long time    you both missed it and if CGC's opinion is what matters most maybe you should have entered into an  agreement that the sale would be "pending" until graded 

I like both these responses.  Buying raw or slabbed involves some risks.  Sometimes all you can do is chalk it up to experience, and try to make things as right as you can in you own world view.

I recently bought a book from a boardie that was graded by NewKadia.  It came in, and it wasn't as sharp as my existing copy, so I immediately sold it to another boardie.  He submitted it to CGC and turned out the pin-up was missing.  Here we have a chain of a dealer and three collectors that all missed that missing page until CGC finally pointed it out. I felt terrible because I did not count pages, thinking the dam thing was already graded by company.  Anyway, I tried to make the situation as right as I could for the guy I passed the shaft to.

I also sold a book here that I knew was restored - it was a TOS 97 that appeared NM.  I sold it with the color touch notation to a boardie.  A year later, I see the same book for sale here in a purple CGC holder from another boardie who had gotten the shaft - he bought the book raw on eBay with no restoration notation.   I dug through my pms and pulled my old scans out, and I think linked the old sales thread, and we determined the boardie I had sold it to was the same eBay seller.  The shafted boardie contacted him about it with that new knowledge that he had bought it as restored, and he said he couldn't see the color touch, so assumed I was wrong about the restoration. doh! 

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I recently bought a book from a boardie that was graded by NewKadia

Not to derail, but, for future reference, alarm bells should be going off at this point. If ever an entity should qualify their listings with "I am not a professional grader" it's these guys.

26 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:
34 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I recently bought a book from a boardie that was graded by NewKadia

Not to derail, but, for future reference, alarm bells should be going off at this point. If ever an entity should qualify their listings with "I am not a professional grader" it's these guys.

Heh, heh - yeah. lol Lesson learned on that one!  I had never really heard of them before.  Now when I hit one of their eBay auctions, it's an immediate "nope".

1 hour ago, revat said:

I don't know if non-communication = an admission.  

Just a follow up thought. 

If he's as attention deficit as me (and what I perceive as most of the rest of these boards), he may need a reminder, as he's probably off chasing a squirrel somewhere.

I know I would try to make things right if the situation was reversed.  I don't think the 6 month time frame is relevant.... that's simply how long it took for the pressing and grading to take place.  I'm not saying he should give me a full refund or anything, but maybe a small gesture or a discount on something in the future would be nice.  If nothing else an acknowledgement of my PM.

Luckily it was only a $175 comic and not a thousand dollar comic.  But spending the $ getting it pressed & graded only to find out the cover is married kind of sucks.

I almost feel like cracking it open to examine the staple positions on the inside(I may have actually just assumed it was unrestored because I bought from a boardie)

48 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I was thinking the same thing. They are pretty much the worst.

22 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I almost feel like cracking it open to examine the staple positions on the inside (I may have actually just assumed it was unrestored because I bought from a boardie)

For the record,  a book with a married cover is not a restored book in the eyes of CGC.  Cracking the book out may not give you any useful information.  Back in the 1960s/1970s, a large quantity of untrimmed/unused covers surfaced for several different Atlas and Marvel titles.  If your book has one of these "virgin" (never stapled) covers, there will be no hole misalignment.

Married-FF-30-94.thumb.jpg.84af590b240b0640e17bdcd564cb894b.jpg

14 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I used to have some of those. That was the Fantazia Eastern Color stuff, right? 

The Fantazia stuff I got came with restoration - relined spine bars, etc.

33 minutes ago, zzutak said:

For the record,  a book with a married cover is not a restored book in the eyes of CGC.  Cracking the book out may not give you any useful information.  Back in the 1960s/1970s, a large quantity of untrimmed/unused covers surfaced for several different Atlas and Marvel titles.  If your book has one of these "virgin" (never stapled) covers, there will be no hole misalignment.

I did not know that - thanks for the info.

26 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Yeah, but the Green label is frowned upon by buyers like it was a PLOD

You know that any stand up guy would pm you right back.............................. The right thing to do is pm him a 2nd time could have not got the first pm (shrug)It needs to be talked abought cause you don't feel right at this point right.

I bought a Batman 181 from a long time seller on Ebay. He called it an 8.0. I should have smelled something fishy as the price was 1/4 of what a legitimate 8.0 would go for. I had it pressed and then off to CGC. Came back qualified due to married cover. I missed it as well as the Overstreet advisor who did the pressing. I contacted the guy who sold it to me and he plead innocent, although he wouldn't refund my money.  I'm sure he got taken and was passing it off. Lesson learned. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is. If this guy doesn't contact you it might be a good idea to spread the word as to who it is so other boardies don't get burned.

Edited by misterrmystery

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

The Fantazia stuff I got came with restoration - relined spine bars, etc.

Is this the infamous Fantasia from Hartsdale, NY? I got burned with trimmed and color touched books back in the 1980's. Luckily they were within driving distance and I got my money back on an expensive book. He finally went to jail for forging signatures on sports memorabilia.