• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a raw "unrestored" comic from a boardie and it's come back Qualified
1 1

253 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, misterrmystery said:
4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

The Fantazia stuff I got came with restoration - relined spine bars, etc.

Is this the infamous Fantasia from Hartsdale, NY? I got burned with trimmed and color touched books back in the 1980's. Luckily they were within driving distance and I got my money back on an expensive book. He finally went to jail for forging signatures on sports memorabilia. 

Yeah - luckily, I seem to have an eye for restoration, so I didn't get stuck with any.  But honestly, those books were so carppily done that any semi-experienced collector should/could recognize it.  I thought Fantasia was Daniel Dupcak - I never heard that he went to jail before??  Do you have any links?

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

7 months is longer, just saying.

mine is longer, just saying

It's not very long but it's sure big around..... the girls all call me tuna-fish can. 

6 hours ago, zzutak said:

For the record,  a book with a married cover is not a restored book in the eyes of CGC.  Cracking the book out may not give you any useful information.  Back in the 1960s/1970s, a large quantity of untrimmed/unused covers surfaced for several different Atlas and Marvel titles.  If your book has one of these "virgin" (never stapled) covers, there will be no hole misalignment.

Married-FF-30-94.thumb.jpg.84af590b240b0640e17bdcd564cb894b.jpg

Wow, what a beauty.

8 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

They have products for that kind of smell. There is no reason to live like that Liz (shrug)

You've obviously been eating too many of these, jugs. They're starting to cloud your already Canadian judgment. 

e4fab410.jpg

10 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - luckily, I seem to have an eye for restoration, so I didn't get stuck with any.  But honestly, those books were so carppily done that any semi-experienced collector should/could recognize it.  I thought Fantasia was Daniel Dupcak - I never heard that he went to jail before??  Do you have any links?

I read it somewhere that they caught up with him finally. I knew a guy who had previously worked there. His job was the trimming of books. Daniel was a real sweety. When I brought back an obviously color touched Green Lantern 1 advertised as mint, he was obnoxious about it. He credited me back but bragged he would sell it anyway for more money. He would brag about his expensive sports car bought with money he ripped off from honest folks. I'll do a little research to see if I can find out anything. I know he was put out of business and heard through the grapevine he had gone to jail.

9 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:
10 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I read it somewhere that they caught up with him finally. I knew a guy who had previously worked there. His job was the trimming of books. Daniel was a real sweety. When I brought back an obviously color touched Green Lantern 1 advertised as mint, he was obnoxious about it. He credited me back but bragged he would sell it anyway for more money. He would brag about his expensive sports car bought with money he ripped off from honest folks. I'll do a little research to see if I can find out anything. I know he was put out of business and heard through the grapevine he had gone to jail.

I know that one of the lawyers here (can't remember the name - also the guy that was representing CGC on stuff) was representing Dupcak's wife or girlfriend in some child support (?) stuff, but I don't recall any follow up of substance.

Edited by lizards2

4 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

That is/was Mark Zaid.  Not sure whatever became of those proceedings.

15 hours ago, zzutak said:

For the record,  a book with a married cover is not a restored book in the eyes of CGC.  Cracking the book out may not give you any useful information.  Back in the 1960s/1970s, a large quantity of untrimmed/unused covers surfaced for several different Atlas and Marvel titles.  If your book has one of these "virgin" (never stapled) covers, there will be no hole misalignment.

Married-FF-30-94.thumb.jpg.84af590b240b0640e17bdcd564cb894b.jpg

I'll trade you my Qualified for your Qualified.:idea:

31 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

That was a good article - I remember when that came out.  I was thinking "recent" jail time, not 20 years ago.