• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a raw "unrestored" comic from a boardie and it's come back Qualified
1 1

253 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I bought a raw high grade Silver Marvel 6 months ago from a long time boardie.  I sent it to CCS for a press and then on to CGC and it came back today as a "Qualified".

I contacted him 3 days ago and haven't received a response even though I know he's been on the boards in that time.

Should I just suck it up as the risk of buying a raw comic or should we be held to a higher standard here on the boards.  I'm not a huge fan of qualified especially when I'm expecting a Blue label.

BTW, I'm not accusing him of any hanky panky.  I'm experienced and I didn't notice it had a Married cover.... he might have missed it too.

I would definitely let the Boardie know but not make any demands. Let him decide if he wants work something out. As Mark Zaid pointed out, Qualified is not Restored though in this case, Married Cover, it is debatable. I really doubt that 95% of the Boardies here, myself included, would notice a Married cover so you have to assume he did not know. If it was a popped staple Qualified, IMO it would be on you, especially if you got it pressed. Also, IMO, 6 months is a reasonable time, not exceeding any arbitrary rule. IN any case, I hope he contacts you and works something out.

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

uhhh..., zzutak is not Mark Zaid  :p

You are correct and I know that. ZZutak's real name is Jay, I believe. And Mark Zaid is Esquire ? I just got lazy in my reply and didn't look up my quote. I thought I saw Zaid's name mentioned somewhere and thought he made the reply.

17 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Yeah, but the Green label is frowned upon by buyers like it was a PLOD

depends a lot on the book.

I happily bought a green label Planet Comics 15 that had off white pages (married cover).

Edited by Artboy99

I'm not offering an opinion one way or another on this situation, but I will say I grade books from boardies very carefully.  I've bought books from beloved boardies with all manner of problems, and respectfully, I don't trust you mooks on name alone anymore.

In general, I'd say if you sell it, you own it when it goes wrong.

18 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Wow, what a beauty.

True dat.  A skillfully managed marriage can be a beautiful thing.  :luhv:  Here are a few more:  :foryou:

Married-FF-06-96.jpg.fd8e3e3661baaeae527c4fcf5a95bdef.jpgMarried-FF-18-94.thumb.jpg.ab354facce97160f60eaa91a8f85c41e.jpgMarried-FF-27-92.thumb.jpg.00eb205d1329556a040138c3921da292.jpg
Married-FF-29-92.thumb.jpg.459230bb849283cdd7a38a0829f0f925.jpgMarried-FF-30-94.thumb.jpg.9a0307cf2fb05b0e79bd167cf9877737.jpgMarried-FF-34-94.thumb.jpg.0b96386a570a6f0da357edc772cc942f.jpg

The untrimmed/unused covers spanned several years and included dozens of different titles (not just Fantastic Four).

On 2018-01-05 at 2:33 PM, lizards2 said:

I also sold a book here that I knew was restored - it was a TOS 97 that appeared NM.  I sold it with the color touch notation to a boardie.  A year later, I see the same book for sale here in a purple CGC holder from another boardie who had gotten the shaft - he bought the book raw on eBay with no restoration notation.   I dug through my pms and pulled my old scans out, and I think linked the old sales thread, and we determined the boardie I had sold it to was the same eBay seller.  The shafted boardie contacted him about it with that new knowledge that he had bought it as restored, and he said he couldn't see the color touch, so assumed I was wrong about the restoration. doh! 

I'd I'd love to know that boardies name

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I'd I'd love to know that boardies name

I'll send you my password, and you can search my pms - that was a long time ago.

5 hours ago, zzutak said:

True dat.  A skillfully managed marriage can be a beautiful thing.  :luhv:  Here are a few more:  :foryou:

Married-FF-06-96.jpg.fd8e3e3661baaeae527c4fcf5a95bdef.jpgMarried-FF-18-94.thumb.jpg.ab354facce97160f60eaa91a8f85c41e.jpgMarried-FF-27-92.thumb.jpg.00eb205d1329556a040138c3921da292.jpg
Married-FF-29-92.thumb.jpg.459230bb849283cdd7a38a0829f0f925.jpgMarried-FF-30-94.thumb.jpg.9a0307cf2fb05b0e79bd167cf9877737.jpgMarried-FF-34-94.thumb.jpg.0b96386a570a6f0da357edc772cc942f.jpg

The untrimmed/unused covers spanned several years and included dozens of different titles (not just Fantastic Four).

What naughty labels for those beauties!

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, chrisco37 said:

He was a boardie back in the early days.  Sold books as “comic keys” (and many others) on eBay.  He got outed as the infamous Danny Dupcak early on.  Interesting times.

I believe his handle was Methuselah ? ....he was fairly active and was vey knowledgeable. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I would definitely let the Boardie know but not make any demands. Let him decide if he wants work something out. As Mark Zaid pointed out, Qualified is not Restored though in this case, Married Cover, it is debatable. I really doubt that 95% of the Boardies here, myself included, would notice a Married cover so you have to assume he did not know. If it was a popped staple Qualified, IMO it would be on you, especially if you got it pressed. Also, IMO, 6 months is a reasonable time, not exceeding any arbitrary rule. IN any case, I hope he contacts you and works something out.

Terry had a bunch a few years ago and he noted them all as such .... they were from the same source and were very well done, he could have easily passed them off, but he just isn't that way. Married covers can often be spotted because the coverless book used is a bad match, i.e. the cover is fresh and blazing white, while the book is cream and worn. Often the cover has overhang on all three edges that is just a little more than would be natural. GOD BLESS...

32 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I believe his handle was Methuselah ? ....he was fairly active and was vey knowledgeable. GOD BLESS...

That was his original board name.  Then he switched to Hammer.  Must’ve been another few after that.  There was speculation that he was also Abrams (the guy that blew the lid off the Ewert scandal).

16 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

That was his original board name.  Then he switched to Hammer.  Must’ve been another few after that.  There was speculation that he was also Abrams (the guy that blew the lid off the Ewert scandal).

Honestly ..........he would probably make a good resto expert at a slabbing company ......he's seen it all. GOD BLESS...

18 hours ago, zzutak said:

how did the folks who cut out these wraps from the uncut sheets do it carefully enough to not mess up the cuts? Is it possible some of those also ended up with a trimmed cover restored labels due to improper cutting of the wraps or the edges looking like a fresher cut than the interior pages?