• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a raw "unrestored" comic from a boardie and it's come back Qualified
1 1

253 posts in this topic

On 15/01/2018 at 9:21 PM, Marwood & I said:

I can see two dots below each staple too, when you zoom in. Often in these cases the evidence is much more apparent with the book in hand. The internal pages are cream to off white, yet the cover spine and title wording look bone white. Maybe in hand, the cover doesn't match the interior in a very obvious way, and the encapsulation hides this. It's fairly pointless really grade querying slabbed books. You can't see what's inside, and they often don't tell you of internal issues on the label or, indeed, the graders notes. If there are any that is.

17 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I contacted them and they said there were no notes

Gee, what a surprise. 

Bone white pristine looking married cover with (TBC) extra pin holes and cream to OW pages grades at 7.5. 

And no notes.

16 hours ago, szavisca said:

Wow... well it’s probably a topic for another thread but that’s really unprofessional and I’d say grounds for a refund (though I doubt you’d get far arguing that with Cgc).

Ohhh! Can't we do it here? Image result for aristocats sad gif

Be a waste otherwise...

Sure, let's talk notes. I'm not sure but I don't think they always give notes on the lower tiers, Value and Economy. It's in the category of you get what you pay for. Maybe the OP can tell us what tier he submitted the book ?

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Bone white pristine looking married cover with (TBC) extra pin holes and cream to OW pages grades at 7.5. 

And no notes.

It's possible that the married cover with pinholes was the totality of the notes. You have to remember notes are not inclusive of every little flaw, only  the flaws that affect the grade. Let's say there was a small corner crease. The presence or absence of that crease does not affect the grade. Press it out and you are still at 7.5 type of thing. Also, I recall recently seeing a thread where the OP complained about buying the notes and it was basically redundant of the label notes. He asked for his money back. Recognizing if there is nothing else noteworthy(pun intended), anybody buying the notes would be disappointed, CGC probably made a decision to not have any notes. Bottom line here, nothing of note to put in the notes.

14 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It's possible that the married cover with pinholes was the totality of the notes. You have to remember notes are not inclusive of every little flaw, only  the flaws that affect the grade. Let's say there was a small corner crease. The presence or absence of that crease does not affect the grade. Press it out and you are still at 7.5 type of thing. Also, I recall recently seeing a thread where the OP complained about buying the notes and it was basically redundant of the label notes. He asked for his money back. Recognizing if there is nothing else noteworthy(pun intended), anybody buying the notes would be disappointed, CGC probably made a decision to not have any notes. Bottom line here, nothing of note to put in the notes.

I get ya Bob. The only flaw is the married cover, with pinholes evident,  that alone determines the 7.5 grade, so the only 'notes' needed are on the label. That does make a kind of sense, yes. 

Maybe in future, CGC should put a small notation on the label - say 'nn' - to indicate that there are 'no notes'. That would stop people asking for them and, in turn, save them time.

Where do I collect my fee?

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

I get ya Bob. The only flaw is the married cover, with pinholes evident,  that alone determines the 7.5 grade, so the only 'notes' needed are on the label. That does make a kind of sense, yes. 

Maybe in future, CGC should put a small notation on the label - say 'nn' - to indicate that there are 'no notes'. That would stop people asking for them and, in turn, save them time.

Where do I collect my fee?

I do like that idea but would it preclude CGC from adding notes upon an evaluation ? BTW, I have personally seen the notes change upon evaluation. In this instance the language of the notes were changed to be more clear. It was a key book that gave the impression in the notes of a detached staple. The wording was changed. CGC is actually very accomodating !

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I do like that idea but would it preclude CGC from adding notes upon an evaluation ? BTW, I have personally seen the notes change upon evaluation. In this instance the language of the notes were changed to be more clear. It was a key book that gave the impression in the notes of a detached staple. The wording was changed. CGC is actually very accomodating !

Only if the evaluation led to all notes being deleted. Updated notes are still notes, no?

4 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Only if the evaluation led to all notes being deleted. Updated notes are still notes, no?

True, though I could see a note eliminated if it affected the owner from trying to sell it. In fact, in our situation here, what if the notes said something like holes throughout book. If the OP wanted to sell the book, I could see him asking for that comment to be removed, arguing the fact that it is redundant to the Married cover.

It seems like CGC likes to minimize comments on the label. Personally, I would like to see more comments on the label. Certain flaws, like rust on the staple, would be helpful. Grade Date would be helpful. A check mark for above average eye appeal would be helpful. Etc........... So I agree with you, it would be nice to have a notes indicator.

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

True, though I could see a note eliminated if it affected the owner from trying to sell it. In fact, in our situation here, what if the notes said something like holes throughout book. If the OP wanted to sell the book, I could see him asking for that comment to be removed, arguing the fact that it is redundant to the Married cover.

It seems like CGC likes to minimize comments on the label. Personally, I would like to see more comments on the label. Certain flaws, like rust on the staple, would be helpful. Grade Date would be helpful. A check mark for above average eye appeal would be helpful. Etc........... So I agree with you, it would be nice to have a notes indicator.

A book that's going to sell for huge sums should have exhaustive notes to support its grade, given that a point difference can mean thousands. A new book just off the press at 9.6 etc needs no notes. 

For high monetary value books - and we can argue the $ level elsewhere - I would have a proforma covering every possible aspect of the book against which the grader must make a note if there is a defect. No note equals 'perfect'. That would help to take away all the debates like the one we're having here and make the grading process less opaque.

Or, you could pay a premium for that service and get it on any book, regardless of value.

I don't like the idea of someone telling / asking CGC ro remove a note to improve their sale chances. Does that really happen?  If so, a standardised proforma would eliminate that. If it's a factual defect , recorded against a defined category, the comment stays. 

6 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
25 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

A book that's going to sell for huge sums should have exhaustive notes to support its grade, given that a point difference can mean thousands. A new book just off the press at 9.6 etc needs no notes. 

For high monetary value books - and we can argue the $ level elsewhere - I would have a proforma covering every possible aspect of the book against which the grader must make a note if there is a defect. No note equals 'perfect'. That would help to take away all the debates like the one we're having here and make the grading process less opaque.

Or, you could pay a premium for that service and get it on any book, regardless of value.

I don't like the idea of someone telling / asking CGC ro remove a note to improve their sale chances. Does that really happen?  If so, a standardised proforma would eliminate that. If it's a factual defect , recorded against a defined category, the comment stays. 

However, I understand the testing for greggy DNA can be quite expensive..., 

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

That's put me right off me dinner liz. And I've already eaten it :sick:

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That's put me right off me dinner liz. And I've already eaten it :sick:

Mission accomplished :applause: 

20 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Proformas :sumo:

:grin: