Bought a raw "unrestored" comic from a boardie and it's come back Qualified
1 1

253 posts in this topic

40,453 posts
5 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I know liz, I was being funny. Well, trying. Back cover is blank you see, no need for CT. 

Moving on!

Buyer didn't say where the CT was. They could have been lying for all I know. They had good feedback as I recall, so I had no reason to doubt them. All part of the learning experience 

I know, I know you were trying.  What is interesting about this book is there is the that super-evident dot to the left of Spidey's head in the logo box.  It looks suspect, even though it is in a strange place (doesn't "make sense" to me).  However, it must have been part of the printing process/art, as it appears the same on every other copy of this book that I checked on eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,760 posts
12 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I know, I know you were trying.  What is interesting about this book is there is the that super-evident dot to the left of Spidey's head in the logo box.  It looks suspect, even though it is in a strange place (doesn't "make sense" to me).  However, it must have been part of the printing process/art, as it appears the same on every other copy of this book that I checked on eBay.

I'm the victim of a printing error liz! I like printing errors though, so that's OK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,861 posts
3 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Love reading about the dastardly things we do to each other, in the name of our passion for comic book collecting.

I've always found it sad that a lot of folks who spend their time scamming people over super hero books apparently never learned anything from reading them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,618 posts
5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I've always found it sad that a lot of folks who spend their time scamming people over super hero books apparently never learned anything from reading them.

maybe they were more into the villains

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,861 posts
On 1/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, Marwood & I said:

The key thing here, as said by many already, is to communicate. Things happen, often innocently, and all you need to do is talk reasonably and sort it out.

 

Agree 100%. Although there are definitely a lot of scammers out there, I'd like to believe that the vast majority of sellers are doing their best to be honest. Things happen. People miss stuff. The key is to be reasonable and communicate regularly, and almost anything can be worked out. 

Last year I sold a book to a boardie that had a coupon cut out. I hadn't noticed it, because I'd bought it from a well-respected boardie who hadn't disclosed it when he sold it to me, and I'd never bothered to look closer. My buyer could have flown off the handle with me, but instead was very calm and reasonable, and allowed me to make the situation right. We treated each other with respect, and we came up with solution that worked for both of us. I'd simply missed it, so it was on me to fix it. (I'd suspect the same was true of the boardie I bought it from, as his rep is stellar as well. He probably just missed it, but by the time I'd gone to sell it, so much time had elapsed that it wouldn't be worth bringing it up with him. The failure to inspect the book closer upon my receipt was on me, not him.) 

Mistakes happen. How we treat each other is what matters.  Hopefully the seller here will open up communication shortly and this can all be resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,861 posts
3 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

maybe they were more into the villains

Ha, good point! I guess they should carry on, then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,496 posts
11 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

maybe they were more into the villains

...or the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,496 posts
14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

...I'd simply missed it...the boardie I bought it from, as his rep is stellar as well. He probably just missed it...

Here's my question, particularly for dealers: do you really inspect each book for page count, coupons, pinups, etc? Seems like an enormous time suck. Do you have a value cutoff, for example anything over $100 gets the tight inspection? I don't really have a policy myself as I'm more of a tourist than a collector (I buy the occasional book here and there, almost always CGC, but my collecting days were back in the 70s and I could never afford anything even close to the collection I had then).

edit: I'm not suggesting you shouldn't inspect each and every book, I just wonder about the practicality of that and how people deal with it.

Edited by Mackenzie999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,453 posts
3 minutes ago, Mackenzie999 said:

Here's my question, particularly for dealers: do you really inspect each book for page count, coupons, pinups, etc? Seems like an enormous time suck. Do you have a value cutoff, for example anything over $100 gets the tight inspection? I don't really have a policy myself as I'm more of a tourist than a collector (I buy the occasional book here and there, almost always CGC, but my collecting days were back in the 70s and I could never afford anything even close to the collection I had then).

edit: I'm not suggesting you shouldn't inspect each and every book, I just wonder about the practicality of that and how people deal with it.

Not a dealer, but sell quite bit here.  I try to remember to do all this on any book that isn't a no value / low value rag.  I also give any book that is supposed to have a Marvel Value Stamp even closer scrutiny.

Alas, I've still missed a missing centerfold, and missing pin-up.  I've also missed a color touch.  These are only what I've been notified about though - I have no idea if there is other stuff the buyers have not told me about.  When informed, I try to make it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,861 posts
Just now, Mackenzie999 said:

Here's my question, particularly for dealers: do you really inspect each book for page count, coupons, pinups, etc? Seems like an enormous time suck. Do you have a value cutoff, for example anything over $100 gets the tight inspection? I don't really have a policy myself as I'm more of a tourist than a collector (I buy the occasional book here and there, almost always CGC, but my collecting days were back in the 70s and I could never afford anything even close to the collection I had then).

I'm not a "real" dealer, but I've sold a lot of books on ebay and here over the last 20 years or so. I don't really have a specific cut-off, it's really a case by case valuation. For a high dollar book, sure, I'm going to check it out very closely, but I don't deal with a ton of high value books. I'm a bargain bin diver, for the most part primarily dealing with copper and moderns, so I'm not going to spend a ton of time on the books, as those defects are usually readily apparent. I try to be as thorough as possible when selling books, though, and totally upfront. For instance, I sometimes do big sales threads of random copper and modern books, mostly cheap $1-$5 stuff. When I'm scanning hundreds of books, I am looking at every single book, but it's still possible that I'll miss something. So I try to give the buyers faith that I am generally pretty good at this, but mistakes happen, and if I make a mistake, I'll make it right. That's about the best I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,496 posts
6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

 I also give any book that is supposed to have a Marvel Value Stamp even closer scrutiny

This suggest a great app: a listing of books with likely candidates for cut-outs, like MVS, pinups, maybe splash centerfolds. Coupons are ubiquitous so they probably wouldn't work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,618 posts
6 minutes ago, Mackenzie999 said:

This suggest a great app: a listing of books with likely candidates for cut-outs, like MVS, pinups, maybe splash centerfolds. Coupons are ubiquitous so they probably wouldn't work out.

There is a website for MVS in case you are not aware of it--- http://www.mvstamps.com/

not sure about pinups though I have this link... in case you need it:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/marvel-chronological-pin-ups-project-t23883.html#p692054

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,784 posts

So many early Marvels are missing a pin-up page (page 12 I think).  I think all of us have learned that the hard way when we were inexperienced.  But that's the cool thing about experience.... we learn and know to look for specific things like missing MVSs or Pin-up pages or CFs.  Or even blatant married CFs or covers.  

My kryptonite is trimming.  There are a few times I have suspected trimming but I am never 100% sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
226 posts

Well there is another potentîal dishonest seller (brunsfam) who has been reported in the Forum across the street. Bought restored cgc FF48 cracked it and sold as unrestored. Got caught - comic being returned and now selling again on eBay without disclosing the restoration. Might also have a second ebay account doing the same. Being reported

tried to link to the thread across the street but mod won’t allow me.

anyway this is the ebay item - consider to avoid

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-48-HIGH-GRADE-1st-Silver-Surfer-and-Galactus-8-5-9-0-CGC-it/162843684489?hash=item25ea3d6e89:g:FyAAAOSwO9JaPFWx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108 posts
18 hours ago, Poka said:

Well there is another potentîal dishonest seller (brunsfam) who has been reported in the Forum across the street. Bought restored cgc FF48 cracked it and sold as unrestored. Got caught - comic being returned and now selling again on eBay without disclosing the restoration. Might also have a second ebay account doing the same. Being reported

tried to link to the thread across the street but mod won’t allow me.

anyway this is the ebay item - consider to avoid

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-48-HIGH-GRADE-1st-Silver-Surfer-and-Galactus-8-5-9-0-CGC-it/162843684489?hash=item25ea3d6e89:g:FyAAAOSwO9JaPFWx

If you know the CGC slab serial number to this FF 48. Post it and let folks be aware about the facts.

Otherwise,  we'd have no way to prove without support. A restored comic should have restoration reports to go with it when it was done restored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,555 posts
On 1/8/2018 at 2:13 PM, Shrevvy said:

Isn't it always implied that a book is unrestored if sold without saying it is restored (or, in this case, married)? If it was missing a centerfold or pinup would you say the same thing? Since you didn't ask if the centerfold was there, why would you assume it was? Any seller that would knowingly not disclose restoration without being asked on every book is not a seller I would want to deal with.

As a seller I agree. If I had concerns, I'd say it. If it comes back restored, you work something out with the buyer. Not sure if the seller should be expected to pay CGC fees too, it depends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,196 posts
13 minutes ago, the blob said:

As a seller I agree. If I had concerns, I'd say it. If it comes back restored, you work something out with the buyer. Not sure if the seller should be expected to pay CGC fees too, it depends.

I would rarely expect the seller to cover cgc fees. The decision to slab comes with responsibility for what comes back; all relevant knowledge should be disclosed but if the buyer doesn't count pages or misses a cut out MVS that is on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,072 posts
On 1/5/2018 at 5:26 PM, gadzukes said:

I know I would try to make things right if the situation was reversed.  I don't think the 6 month time frame is relevant.... that's simply how long it took for the pressing and grading to take place.  I'm not saying he should give me a full refund or anything, but maybe a small gesture or a discount on something in the future would be nice.  If nothing else an acknowledgement of my PM.

Luckily it was only a $175 comic and not a thousand dollar comic.  But spending the $ getting it pressed & graded only to find out the cover is married kind of sucks.

I almost feel like cracking it open to examine the staple positions on the inside(I may have actually just assumed it was unrestored because I bought from a boardie)

 

Any seller I would want to deal with would refund the dough if a book came back restored/conserved/qualified.  I'm more ambivalent about whether he should refund your pressing/slabbing fees.  It would certainly be a great gesture if he would, but since it was your choice to have the book pressed and slabbed, I can see him balking at that step.

And, yeah, blowing off your PMs certainly decides the issue about ever dealing with him again.

Given it's a relatively small amount of money, I would be inclined to sell the book and never deal with this seller again.

If you want to go to the mat over this, you can always nominate him for the probation list.  That will almost certainly get his attention. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,784 posts
12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Any seller I would want to deal with would refund the dough if a book came back restored/conserved/qualified.  I'm more ambivalent about whether he should refund your pressing/slabbing fees.  It would certainly be a great gesture if he would, but since it was your choice to have the book pressed and slabbed, I can see him balking at that step.

And, yeah, blowing off your PMs certainly decides the issue about ever dealing with him again.

Given it's a relatively small amount of money, I would be inclined to sell the book and never deal with this seller again.

If you want to go to the mat over this, you can always nominate him for the probation list.  That will almost certainly get his attention. 

 

I'm just disappointed because he's a long time boardie (since 2003) and has made over 6000 comments on the boards.  Most long time boardies do not give the cold shoulder in this situation.  If it was a thousand dollar book I would definitely be raising more of a stink, but in this case..... I'm going to stay chill and maybe do what you say, just sell the book and be done with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1