Bought a raw "unrestored" comic from a boardie and it's come back Qualified
1 1

253 posts in this topic

5,964 posts
17 hours ago, the blob said:

As a seller I agree. If I had concerns, I'd say it. If it comes back restored, you work something out with the buyer. Not sure if the seller should be expected to pay CGC fees too, it depends.

I wasn't going to ask for anything, however a small/partial refund from my original purchase would have been a nice gesture.

Edited by gadzukes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
245 posts
1 hour ago, Fan Boy1 said:

If you know the CGC slab serial number to this FF 48. Post it and let folks be aware about the facts.

Otherwise,  we'd have no way to prove without support. A restored comic should have restoration reports to go with it when it was done restored. 

All the support is across the street. Just a heads up here. Don’t say you were not warned if don’t bother to make the effort to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,064 posts
25 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I'm just disappointed because he's a long time boardie (since 2003) and has made over 6000 comments on the boards.

hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,304 posts
1 hour ago, Bird said:

I would rarely expect the seller to cover cgc fees. The decision to slab comes with responsibility for what comes back; all relevant knowledge should be disclosed but if the buyer doesn't count pages or misses a cut out MVS that is on them.

Agree with this.  I’d refund the money paid for the book, but not slabbing costs (unless it was worked out prior to the sale).

The only purple label I ever received, the seller refunded my purchase price.  I didn’t even think to ask for (nor would I) slabbing costs, return shipping, etc.  Slabbing the book was my decision, so that cost is solely on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,595 posts
11 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
38 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I'm just disappointed because he's a long time boardie (since 2003) and has made over 6000 comments on the boards.

hm

I'm into sharing, like perhaps the OP sharing this boardies name....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108 posts
1 hour ago, Poka said:

All the support is across the street. Just a heads up here. Don’t say you were not warned if don’t bother to make the effort to check.

Well, I wouldn't buy it from this seller on eBay. Just that the poor buyer who might be out of $$ , not know the true history behind this book.

But yeah... it is all on the buyer to do homework before buying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,195 posts
1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Agree with this.  I’d refund the money paid for the book, but not slabbing costs (unless it was worked out prior to the sale).

The only purple label I ever received, the seller refunded my purchase price.  I didn’t even think to ask for (nor would I) slabbing costs, return shipping, etc.  Slabbing the book was my decision, so that cost is solely on me.

I more or less agree with this, but from a seller's point of view there's the question of whether you want the buyer walking away from the deal feeling good about it or not.  The seller did, after all, sell a book where he had missed something important.  The buyer in a situation like this won't feel too good about the deal if he ends up stuck with the slabbing fees.  Yeah, it's on him for deciding to slab the book, but the episode wouldn't make a buyer too confident in buying from this seller next time around.

I've had several books come back restored that I bought raw from one of the biggest sellers on the boards.  He refunded my purchase price but not the CGC fees, which I didn't ask him to do.  Fair enough, but I'm not buying from him again.  Too many sellers out there to bother buying from a guy who doesn't appear to check his books carefully.  (Don't ask, because I'm not outing him.  :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,047 posts
12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I more or less agree with this, but from a seller's point of view there's the question of whether you want the buyer walking away from the deal feeling good about it or not.  The seller did, after all, sell a book where he had missed something important.  The buyer in a situation like this won't feel too good about the deal if he ends up stuck with the slabbing fees.  Yeah, it's on him for deciding to slab the book, but the episode wouldn't make a buyer too confident in buying from this seller next time around.

I've had several books come back restored that I bought raw from one of the biggest sellers on the boards.  He refunded my purchase price but not the CGC fees, which I didn't ask him to do.  Fair enough, but I'm not buying from him again.  Too many sellers out there to bother buying from a guy who doesn't appear to check his books carefully.  (Don't ask, because I'm not outing him.  :))

You need to bear some of the responsibility here too.  Especially if you're sending stuff to CGC.  You have a responsibility to check your incoming purchases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,304 posts
35 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I more or less agree with this, but from a seller's point of view there's the question of whether you want the buyer walking away from the deal feeling good about it or not.  The seller did, after all, sell a book where he had missed something important.  The buyer in a situation like this won't feel too good about the deal if he ends up stuck with the slabbing fees.  Yeah, it's on him for deciding to slab the book, but the episode wouldn't make a buyer too confident in buying from this seller next time around.

I've had several books come back restored that I bought raw from one of the biggest sellers on the boards.  He refunded my purchase price but not the CGC fees, which I didn't ask him to do.  Fair enough, but I'm not buying from him again.  Too many sellers out there to bother buying from a guy who doesn't appear to check his books carefully.  (Don't ask, because I'm not outing him.  :))

I understand that POV.  

The way I see it is: I didn’t see it (I’d disclose if I did), you didn’t see it.  Or Vice-versa.  

Whomever sent it in for slabbing bears that cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,195 posts
29 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You need to bear some of the responsibility here too.  Especially if you're sending stuff to CGC.  You have a responsibility to check your incoming purchases.

No doubt, which is why I didn't ask to have the CGC fees refunded.  But there's a lot of sellers out there and a lot of great books up for sale in auctions.  So, from a seller's perspective, it may make sense to keep the buyer happy.  But if a seller has all the buyers he needs, then no worries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,047 posts
5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

You need to bear some of the responsibility here too.  Especially if you're sending stuff to CGC.  You have a responsibility to check your incoming purchases.

No doubt, which is why I didn't ask to have the CGC fees refunded.  But there's a lot of sellers out there and a lot of great books up for sale in auctions.  So, from a seller's perspective, it may make sense to keep the buyer happy.  But if a seller has all the buyers he needs, then no worries.

You know, You're right.  But if you're going to be reselling books or sending them to CGC for yourself or to then resell, then you need to put on your big boy pants, and start counting pages, assessing grade, looking for clipped coupons and writing, and examining for and ruling out restoration, etc.  It can't always be "someone else's fault."

Otherwise, your end result in this hobby is going to quite painful.  I can see why other people take a quite different tack in all this - just because I'm the 9th guy that doesn't see something and the 10th guy sends it to CGC without looking at it doesn't make it my fault - grade, resto or otherwise.  I try to make things right, but come on you guys!! Look out for yourselves!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
247 posts
10 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I'm into sharing, like perhaps the OP sharing this boardies name....

I agree.  This place isn't Hop Sing's.  It's time to name names! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,964 posts

Here's the comic I've been talking about.  I love these prehero Marvels and would like to build a collection of higher grades, maybe 7.0 and up.

P1140416.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286 posts

I can't get past the 6 months ....   this was purchased back in May ...... I found the transaction the return policy was "upon receipt" ............. I would suggest  it would be better working toward across the board selling standards that everyone must agree to instead of making examples of individual sellers and questioning their character ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,964 posts
55 minutes ago, Ottobord said:

I can't get past the 6 months ....   this was purchased back in May ...... I found the transaction the return policy was "upon receipt" ............. I would suggest  it would be better working toward across the board selling standards that everyone must agree to instead of making examples of individual sellers and questioning their character ....

I'm absolutely not questioning his character.  

I bought a raw "unrestored" comic from a boardie, sent it in for a press and grading (yes, I know 6 months is a long time, but a press and a "value tier" grade unfortunately takes a really looooooong time).  

It was graded as "Qualified" with a married cover.   I contacted him on January 2nd to let him know, and have not gotten any response.

Am I asking too much to at least get a response from him?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286 posts

But you already mentioned your hoping for something more then just a response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,964 posts
11 minutes ago, Ottobord said:

But you already mentioned your hoping for something more then just a response.

I said a "partial refund from the original purchase would be a nice gesture", but I'm not demanding it.  I'm not even demanding a response, I just think it would be nice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,145 posts
42 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I said a "partial refund from the original purchase would be a nice gesture", but I'm not demanding it.  I'm not even demanding a response, I just think it would be nice.

 

A response wouldn't just be nice, it would be the absolute least they could do. Like, the most basic level of customer service. Ignoring it all together is just nuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,705 posts

What's the difference in value between a blue label and a qualified in this case?  Can we put a dollar amount to it?

If you're not hearing back, the boardie may be weighing his options, and asking others what his liability is.  I'd like to know who it is, but I don't need to know as long as you come to a beneficial outcome.  If he stonewalls you, I see an entertaining Friday thread in our future! :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1