• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: 11 x 17" OA-Size Scanner On Sale for $149.99
4 4

100 posts in this topic

I have a white one sitting behind me on a stand. Got it last spring. It's wireless, so no hooking up unless you want to. I use it to print to wirelessly, and I do all my page scanning wirelessly. It took me a bit to figure out how to get scans I was happy with (right out of the box, the default settings are a bit too high in contrast for my liking, but I've gotten some incredibly good scans off of it since. Its not nearly as nuanced as a really great flatbed, but for the cost (I think I paid $200 for it on a previous sale) the bang for the buck factor is great. It is a pretty big puppy though, but not as bad as so many others, with goofy trays sticking out of both ends and whatnot.

The prints off it are pretty good too!

Have fun.

Edited by ESeffinga

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Just a public service announcement that Staples (and Amazon I believe) have the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Inkjet Printer, with 11 x 17" OA scanning capabilities, on sale for a crazy $149.99 right now.  I resisted getting a scanner before now due to the space it takes up, many of the cheaper supposed 11 x 17" scanners actually cutting off a half-inch on the scan (and the true 11 x 17" scanners costing an arm and a leg), and having friends with scanners that I could borrow.  But, after losing access to the latter recently, I thought now was the right time to bite the bullet and get my own.  

I have already received mine (free 1-day delivery from Staples, at least here in NYC), though, I haven't set it up yet.  I read that it's the successor to the HP OfficeJet 7612, which Alex (alxjhnsn here on the Boards) recommended a while back on Comicart-L, and I was told/have read that it has true 11 x 17" scanning capabilities. 

Anyway, I haven't set it up yet, but will do so this weekend as I am aiming to get some scans over to Scott Dunbier for some upcoming Artist Editions.  But, I thought I'd get the word out sooner rather than later, in case the price goes back up closer to the $249.99 regular price.

- Gene

There's a Staples near my house, so I may stop in to see if they have one in person to check it out. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. 

Let me casually mention that the new HP photocopier in my office not only has an 11" x 17" flatbed, but it permits me to copy directly to a flash drive (at dpi settings up to 600). It will also print off a flash drive onto ledger paper. So, if some of you have office photocopiers, you may want to explore that as an even cheaper and more space-efficient option. 

Although now that I think of it, I’m not sure I have ever used the default software to make my scans.

Since I always take my scans into photoshop anyway, I’ve just been using Photoshop to acquire the scanner function directly. I’ll have to check into the scanner software it came with to see how that works. Never honestly tried it.

And I sometimes forget not everyone keeps a copy of Photoshop on their computer.

:idea:

I will just borrow Gene's once he sets it up. 

Let us know if it works and what type of computer is connected to it.  I always find that everytime Windows has an upgrade, my scanner(s) goes out of whack.

I've had a Mustek and an early model HP.  The last few years, I just use the camera on my cell phone.  Especially for oversized art.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI

I have Photoshop, the proprietary software that comes with most scanners can be hit or miss. The fact that this model is wireless may be what seals the deal for me- we have 2 identical aging Canon's printers, one for each computer, and they only have 8.5x111 scanner, and man, wireless would be awesome- I'd just leave it in my wife's office, and using it when I need to!

I've been setting up the printer/scanner tonight.  Some things that may save you some time:

When you download the printer software, if you want full scanner functionality, do NOT just download the recommended "HP Smart".  You will only get a limited range of scanner options and will not be able to scan above 300 ppi as far as I can tell.  Instead, download the full, 170MB software package for the printer (it creates a desktop icon called "HP OfficejetPro 7740 Series"), which includes a much more robust set of scanner options. 

If you need to save to TIFF files, the way you do that is to select the "Everyday Scan" option from the menu (the other shortcut defaults are for PDF and JPEG) and select "TIF" files under "File Type".  When you click "More", you will be able to select resolution up to 1200 ppi (you need 600 to print out at Artist Edition quality, though, I was told by one of the publishers of these oversized formats that 300 dpi/ppi would be passable). 

I will try scanning some art tomorrow now that it's set up.  

Edited by delekkerste