• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: 11 x 17" OA-Size Scanner On Sale for $149.99
4 4

100 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Good stuff.  Since scanning and saving and sharing files is so ubiquitous in the hobby, and the process so misunderstood by hobbyists, I wonder if it would be worth doing a permanently pinned "how to properly scan" posting for the top of the ORIGINAL COMIC ART page?

I copied my post into the Newbie thread as a reference there.

12 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I used to be a drum scanner operator, and I think the largest I ever scanned were 8x10 transparencies for a Levi's billboard.  Bear in mind that the effective DPI of a billboard is about 30DPI.  It doesn't need to be that high, because you aren't going to stand six inches from it.  It's going to be six stories above you and 6 blocks aways.  This was back in the day when a 16GB drive cost 2K.  The files for this were pushing 700MB. Now, I wouldn't even blink at files that size.

Ha ha. So true. My jab was actually toward an artist I was involved with that had me get a bunch of 36x48" paintings shot to 8x10 transparency and then wanted them drum scanned for color correction and output to 1:1 giclee on canvas. So these would be big and need to be looking 'right' ten feet back and one inch up close. All good, except the market wasn't there for the originals so I argued: why reproductions? (Especially as I was fronting the money!) This was at the dawn of the century when everything about this conversation was very expensive. Probably not cheap today, but much much more affordable. Is anybody even shooting large transparencies anymore?

On 1/13/2018 at 9:20 PM, Rick2you2 said:

CAF doesn’t allow uploads of PDFs?

Nope - you get an error message saying "This is not a valid image".  

So, that alone rules out saving to PDF for those of us who post some or all of our art on CAF. 

On 1/6/2018 at 6:22 PM, delekkerste said:

I've been setting up the printer/scanner tonight.  Some things that may save you some time:

When you download the printer software, if you want full scanner functionality, do NOT just download the recommended "HP Smart".  You will only get a limited range of scanner options and will not be able to scan above 300 ppi as far as I can tell.  Instead, download the full, 170MB software package for the printer (it creates a desktop icon called "HP OfficejetPro 7740 Series"), which includes a much more robust set of scanner options. 

If you need to save to TIFF files, the way you do that is to select the "Everyday Scan" option from the menu (the other shortcut defaults are for PDF and JPEG) and select "TIF" files under "File Type".  When you click "More", you will be able to select resolution up to 1200 ppi (you need 600 to print out at Artist Edition quality, though, I was told by one of the publishers of these oversized formats that 300 dpi/ppi would be passable). 

I will try scanning some art tomorrow now that it's set up.  

Tried scanning CGC case but came out fuzzy from being 1/8 - 1/4 " off the glass. This does not happen on my regular HP scanner. I'm wondering if there is an adjustment (software) some where? Could not see any available adjustment on the software it came with. Have you tried scanning a CGC case yet?

Val 

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Update: the HP 7740 is on sale again, down to $179 from retail price of $249.

Has anyone confirmed that this printer can scan slabbed comics in focus?

I doubt that. You need a CCD scanner to deep focus scan an object off the glass, such as a slab. This HP is a CIS scanner.

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks for the reply. Is there a CCD scanner you would recommend?

For 11x17 or A3 CCD scanning, your best bet is to go with an Epson Expression 12000XL. But it is expensive at $2500+.

You might be able to find an older model on ebay for cheaper, but this is a heavy unit and you risk shipping damage.

Or you could get a legal-sized CCD scanner for your slabs, and this HP CIS scanner behemoth -- if you have the space for both.

Or just outsource all of this and take art and a USB stick to a local print shop. Or scan art on your copier at work.

Is everyone still happy with the HP 7740?  My old printer just died so this seems like the perfect opportunity.  I currently scan using a Mustek A3 1200S, which is okay, but it doesn't fully scan to the edges.

3 hours ago, tlatner said:

Is everyone still happy with the HP 7740?  My old printer just died so this seems like the perfect opportunity.  I currently scan using a Mustek A3 1200S, which is okay, but it doesn't fully scan to the edges.

Yes, getting tons of great use out of it still. (thumbsu