• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: 11 x 17" OA-Size Scanner On Sale for $149.99
4 4

100 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

If you need to save to TIFF files, the way you do that is to select the "Everyday Scan" option from the menu (the other shortcut defaults are for PDF and JPEG) and select "TIF" files under "File Type".  When you click "More", you will be able to select resolution up to 1200 ppi (you need 600 to print out at Artist Edition quality, though, I was told by one of the publishers of these oversized formats that 300 dpi/ppi would be passable). 

I will try scanning some art tomorrow now that it's set up.  

your rule of thumb with scanning is you want to scan at double the resolution of the output.  Sort of the same concept as to why OA was twice-up of the printed comic page.  That's what makes AE's problematic, as you reproducing art at the same size as the original. If you are scanning your OA to send to IDW to produce an AE you gotta scan 600 DPI (which is the same as enlarging it 200% at 300dpi)  I do find that some AE's I've seen the images are a little soft. I'm not sure what line screen they are printing at. It might warrant 175-200 LS. which would mean they ideal scan would be at least 800DPI, and those files get rather large at that size, and difficult to send to anyone electronically.  When I scanned art for some Marvel Masterworks, I scanned them 100% at 400DPI, but they were printed at comics size, probably 133-150 LS, so they had the same benefit of at least 2x the resolution of the output. If you are printing for yourself on inkjet printer, you are using a different print method than offset so more is always better.  I'd go with 400 at a minimum.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

I've made four scans so far.  Works like a dream - scans fast (even at 600 ppi), covers the whole area (and more), looks sharp.  It's bigger than my old printer, but, mostly vertically, so, it pretty much takes up the same useful area.  Very, very pleased so far.  

Appreciate this heads up, but I ended up waffling on it... I have an all-in-one already that performs all regular functions perfectly well. As others have mentioned, I likely need to look into a stand alone flat bed scanner if at all reasonable. Certainly if my existing all-in-one dies the next one I buy will have oversized scanning capabilities.

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Considering costs of stand alones, I'm guessing a scanner isn't in my future until a new all-in-one purchase makes sense. I believe there is a flat bed scanner on some floor or other at the office - that'll be my next avenue of investigation.

Lots of copiers can scan and email. I used to do that at work.

Scott at IDW says the scans I sent him came out really well.  I was looking at the Miller DD AE recently and was cringing a bit at how the scans of my contributions came out (they were done on a friend's old Mustek scanner; I owned the same one a long time ago); the scans that this HP 7740 produces are on another level.  A total bargain at $149.99 and still good value at $249.99.  I guess they figure they'll make the money on the printer ink refills.

As far as size goes, here's how it looks (that's my old printer in the floor for comparison).  It fits neatly on top of the white drawer unit like my old one, but rises higher.  I haven't really lost any usable space, though. 20180108_113434.thumb.jpg.58707bcf6bbbb114d84369e9b7753cdd.jpg

24 minutes ago, aokartman said:

Can you describe how many separate ink cartridges are within the printer part of the unit?  Best, David

Yes, there are 4 cartridges - a large one for black, and smaller ones for cyan, yellow and magenta. 

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

As far as size goes, here's how it looks (that's my old printer in the floor for comparison).  It fits neatly on top of the white drawer unit like my old one, but rises higher.  I haven't really lost any usable space, though. 20180108_113434.thumb.jpg.58707bcf6bbbb114d84369e9b7753cdd.jpg

That thing is a beast - next time it goes on sale... well, it'd be a shame if something unfortunate happened to my existing all-in-one.

On 1/7/2018 at 3:08 AM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

When I scanned art for some Marvel Masterworks, I scanned them 100% at 400DPI, but they were printed at comics size

When you say you scanned some art for some Marvel Masterworks, do you mean that you scanned some of the art you own to be included in the "extras" section of the book(s)?  If so, I'm curious - did Marvel comp you a published copy when it/they came out?  I scanned some art that I was told would be used in one of the Omnibus editions that came out last year; a comp copy was neither offered nor asked for, though, it would have been nice to see how it turned out and how the art was presented in the book in the end, even if it was just in e-mailed JPEG or PDF form.     

Edited by delekkerste

15 hours ago, delekkerste said:

When you say you scanned some art for some Marvel Masterworks, do you mean that you scanned some of the art you own to be included in the "extras" section of the book(s)?  If so, I'm curious - did Marvel comp you a published copy when it/they came out?  I scanned some art that I was told would be used in one of the Omnibus editions that came out last year; a comp copy was neither offered nor asked for, though, it would have been nice to see how it turned out and how the art was presented in the book in the end, even if it was just in e-mailed JPEG or PDF form.     

As an FYI, years ago when I sent in a page to Marvel from the unpublished Perez Avengers vs JLA series to be scanned and included in the omnibus compendium version they were doing, Marvel sent me a free copy.