• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: 11 x 17" OA-Size Scanner On Sale for $149.99
4 4

100 posts in this topic

I"ll second that- I've re-scanned almost 2 hundred pieces of art and updated my CAF. Still some more to go, but once you get started, it's hard to stop- because you want them to be of a consistent size and quality. this HP is stupid simple to use. I made the mistake of not reading @delekkerste's advice about not using the easy set-up, so I have the Fisher-Price version of the controls installed, but HP's support site barfed when I tried to go back and download the full version so I got lazy and gave up. My wife has also gotten use our of the wireless printing- and she's happy not to have a printer tethered to her computer in her office anymore. We got rid of 2 Epson multi-function printers with crappy 8.5x11 scanners so over all, even though this is a beast, it's still less space and hassle than 2 USB devices and the ink for those was over-priced, and getting harder to find. If you get it for under $200 this is a no-brainer.  You can even scan a twice up GA or SA page in 2 halves and fit them on the scan bed pretty easily to keep them straight. Great scanner for the money (paid $150 at Staples).

On 2/27/2018 at 7:22 PM, tlatner said:

Is everyone still happy with the HP 7740?  My old printer just died so this seems like the perfect opportunity.  I currently scan using a Mustek A3 1200S, which is okay, but it doesn't fully scan to the edges.

It really is a super machine for the price.

38 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

It really is a super machine for the price.

Got mine about two weeks ago, still haven't cracked the box yet but will when I have a free afternoon (slow learner here lol )

I missed the initial $150 sale opportunity, and even then a second time, but third time I was able to get $150 by checking here: https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+7740&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-1-ab&sa=X&biw=1600&bih=743&tbm=shop&tbs=p_ord:p&ei=aRiYWtKXAtKmjwPX1pGQAg&ved=0ahUKEwiS8OLTtMvZAhVS02MKHVdrBCIQuw0I2QYoAg#spd=6724295286250026912

Currently the best price is $180. Not bad, and you can do it at WalMart.com so free shipping, no need to leave your couch either.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Officejet-Pro-7740-All-in-One-multifunction-printer-color/54695815?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227050295915&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=147561818597&wl4=pla-263182054785&wl5=1021800&wl6=&wl7=9002353&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=54695815&wl13=&veh=sem

That's what I did (but for $150 shipped), but here's something even a bit sweeter...

1. Go to Cardpool.com.

2. Pull up WalMart under search. (Or another HP vendor of your choice that Cardpool stocks!)

3. Buy $150 worth of gift cards at 3.5% off face and...

4. Pay only $144.75 or even better (yes!!)...

5. Use a cashback credit card to buy those gift cards and...

6. Pay only 142.58 net, just as I did :) with my 1.5% back card.

And because I didn't use an affiliate link anywhere in this post, all of you can rest assured that I'm only offering a free to the community suggestion here, not trying to line my own nest lol

I hope at least one of you takes advantage of this, especially if you're a bit patient and wait for $150 to come around again ;)

Loving it (good call by Gene)! 

Have replaced most of my CAF with fresh scans (I've got a complete EC pre-trend book yet to scan, but I'll get round to that in due course).

I think someone here talked about storage space for the scanner?  I managed to fit my one into my computer cabinet okay (see attached photo).  Forgive the clutter (and an obligatory can of beer) . . .

SDC14084.jpg

The HP 7740 arrived today and I'm generally happy so far, apart from the massive size/weight.  What's nice is that it scans up to 11 3/4" x 17".  My old scanner cut off at about 11" x 16 1/4", which was frustrating.  I just wish it would have made it all the way to 12" wide (which is the full size of the glass) to accommodate larger '90's DC cover stock.

Here's an example that I just scanned in:
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1456197

The HP Scan software works pretty well although it's unclear which Exposure settings to use.   I also tried Paint.net and that was also acceptable and a bit faster to scan.  I'm too cheap to splurge for Photoshop at the moment.  Thanks to delekkerste and everyone else for the feedback.

may i please ask someone for help, unfortunately not computer savvy at all here . i am trying to install the driver which allows for 600 dpi scanning . i guess its the all in one hp driver. but when i reach the option of which drivers to install i only see

the HP easy start and a third party driver called readiris pro.  where can i find the driver which would allow me the maximum 600-1200 dpi scanning capability ? 

sincerely appreciated , i am currently using a mac version 10.11.6.

thank you very gentleman in advance!

On your Mac, go to the Apple menu, System Preferences, Printers.

If you see your HP in the list on the left, click it. On the right, click the Scan tab. Open Scanner. In the Scan application that opens, click Details and set your resolution.

If you don't see the HP at all, click the + icon in the lower left and select the HP in the window that opens. This will install the driver from Apple.

If you get stuck, PM me.

it will scan in RGB, don't worry, which is what you need to post online- if you don't chose color it wills scan it greyscale.  I find it easier to use the app than the Scan feature form the Printer settings, but that's just me. See my comments in the other thread on editing the settings.

I found good prices by letting Google shop for me. I'd check every few days. I check on my HP Officejet 7612 (older model) and saw one for $131 with free shipping. I got mine for $189 and picked up at the local Office Depot.

Hey Everyone,

I know this is an older thread but I had a question about this printer -- I recently purchased it but haven't had any success with printing using bristol board. I was just wondering if there was a way to print artwork off using bristol board with this printer? Or am I just out of luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  

On 1/25/2019 at 3:34 PM, KG450 said:

Hey Everyone,

I know this is an older thread but I had a question about this printer -- I recently purchased it but haven't had any success with printing using bristol board. I was just wondering if there was a way to print artwork off using bristol board with this printer? Or am I just out of luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  

@KG450- I don't think you will have much luck with that, as the bristol board will be too stiff and this printer doesn't have a manual paper feed tray- so the paper has to twist inside the printer and bristol isn't good for that. You would need to do that on a different kind of printer, like a Xerox at a Kinko's/Fed Ex, UPS, or Office Depot.