• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Marvel Adventures #128 Scarce???

41 posts in this topic

Just bumping this post back into the here and now. I continue to look for a copy of Captain Marvel Adventures #128. If you have one to sell please let me know. I am trying to complete the run from 1-150 and am only missing three books.

Missing #1 - Only rich people can buy this book, so I may never own it

Missing #18 - Always sold for multiples of guide, and I continue to try and grab a copy without having to sell a major internal organ

Missing #128 - Guide value seems to mean little, book is not rare or even expensive, just as hard to find as an honest politician in DC

On 2/5/2018 at 12:42 PM, snakepittcomics said:

Just bumping this post back into the here and now. I continue to look for a copy of Captain Marvel Adventures #128. If you have one to sell please let me know. I am trying to complete the run from 1-150 and am only missing three books.

Missing #1 - Only rich people can buy this book, so I may never own it

Missing #18 - Always sold for multiples of guide, and I continue to try and grab a copy without having to sell a major internal organ

Missing #128 - Guide value seems to mean little, book is not rare or even expensive, just as hard to find as an honest politician in DC

I am assuming you have noticed this Qualified raw copy from Gary Dolgoff on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-Marvel-Adventures-128-Q-Fawcett-Comics-1952-SHAZAM-c-17368/352276636605?epid=85400791&hash=item520552e3bd:g:8TYAAOSwk6xafLY4

I had no idea this book was that desirable - another reason I love the boards (well, at least the GA forum :smile: )  

19 minutes ago, snakepittcomics said:

The 128 from G Dolgoff on EBay went for $335!!!! The book graded as FR/GD. Per Overstreet guide, it should be worth about $20 tops. It had extra staples and lots of tape. I have been looking for about 6 or 7 years, so I guess I can continue the search for awhile longer

It took me 17 years to finish the seven bigger titles of Nedor/Standard/Pines published books.  The last one was Startling #15.  I found two coverless copies which I bought/won and then the raw, nice copy turned up - all three copies within 3-4 months.  It's not like I found the other 330+ issues all at the beginning but this one eluded the longest of all of them.  Exciting #17 was the second to last book which I actually got through a WTB here on the boards.  I got that about a year before I found the Startling.  America's Best, Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Wonder, I was able to finish over a 4-5 years but since they are shorter runs 20-30 issue, makes sense.  Thrilling was next and I was lucky enough to grab some undercopies of several issues of a boardie who used to be on here and had uber high grade copies of some and other titles and his unders weren't too shabby.  

But 17 years of searching (and with multiple copies won/purchased for some upgrading).  I was a young man when I started the insanity of completionism and the Nedors were the poor man's Timelys.  Not too long after I started, they were not just for the poor as prices shot up.  lol  I don't want to think about how much I dropped into this collection especially with the grading, undercopies/upgrades, etc.  All issues are now CGC graded (except the Startling and it is at CGC now).

Good luck and I know you have been patient.  My advice outside of more patience is if you see one, grab it even at a high price (if you can afford it).  Overstrteet is not a good measure of prices, especially GA books.  Look at GGA, PCH, and so many others - they go for multiple of guide.  Use GPA but with many GA books, current price levels may be scarce.  

Edited by telerites

Ya know snake, you kinda shot yourself in the foot on this one.  :tonofbricks: Most of us had no idea this was so scarce. By talking about the high price this realized on eBay you raised a lot of interest in it. Thus causing the price to escalate at an unnatural level. If it were me, I would have kept it under the radar until I got a copy (or maybe a couple)... I know I look at my copy in a whole different light. 

Sadly, now you are going to have to pay hard for one unless you find one in a box at a con at guide which is real possible but now lots of us are looking. As telerires said above, you probably should have swallowed the bullet and bought Doldorf's copy on the bay until you can upgrade. 

These boards have pushed a lot of stuff way beyond my meager means now. I am a"box diver" and a scrounger so I am still available to get lucky once in a while. I wish you luck on your quest. I'm sure there is a copy out there with your name on it.   (thumbsu

On 2/16/2018 at 8:31 PM, telerites said:

It took me 17 years to finish the seven bigger titles of Nedor/Standard/Pines published books.  The last one was Startling #15.  I found two coverless copies which I bought/won and then the raw, nice copy turned up - all three copies within 3-4 months.  It's not like I found the other 330+ issues all at the beginning but this one eluded the longest of all of them.  Exciting #17 was the second to last book which I actually got through a WTB here on the boards.  I got that about a year before I found the Startling.  America's Best, Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Wonder, I was able to finish over a 4-5 years but since they are shorter runs 20-30 issue, makes sense.  Thrilling was next and I was lucky enough to grab some undercopies of several issues of a boardie who used to be on here and had uber high grade copies of some and other titles and his unders weren't too shabby.  

But 17 years of searching (and with multiple copies won/purchased for some upgrading).  I was a young man when I started the insanity of completionism and the Nedors were the poor man's Timelys.  Not too long after I started, they were not just for the poor as prices shot up.  lol  I don't want to think about how much I dropped into this collection especially with the grading, undercopies/upgrades, etc.  All issues are now CGC graded (except the Startling and it is at CGC now).

Good luck and I know you have been patient.  My advice outside of more patience is if you see one, grab it even at a high price (if you can afford it).  Overstrteet is not a good measure of prices, especially GA books.  Look at GGA, PCH, and so many others - they go for multiple of guide.  Use GPA but with many GA books, current price levels may be scarce.  

I'm still hoping after you get the last ones graded you devote an entire Thread to the collection with background hunt/scarcity and such stories.

"A Nedor a Day" hm :wishluck:

On 2/17/2018 at 8:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Ya know snake, you kinda shot yourself in the foot on this one.  :tonofbricks: Most of us had no idea this was so scarce. By talking about the high price this realized on eBay you raised a lot of interest in it. Thus causing the price to escalate at an unnatural level. If it were me, I would have kept it under the radar until I got a copy (or maybe a couple)... I know I look at my copy in a whole different light. 

Sadly, now you are going to have to pay hard for one unless you find one in a box at a con at guide which is real possible but now lots of us are looking. As telerires said above, you probably should have swallowed the bullet and bought Doldorf's copy on the bay until you can upgrade. 

These boards have pushed a lot of stuff way beyond my meager means now. I am a"box diver" and a scrounger so I am still available to get lucky once in a while. I wish you luck on your quest. I'm sure there is a copy out there with your name on it.   (thumbsu

What did you end up selling your copy for at the show if you don’t mind telling?

This thread should have been a benefit for you at least (and probably Gator as well)...

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

What did you end up selling your copy for at the show if you don’t mind telling?

This thread should have been a benefit for you at least (and probably Gator as well)...

In a dozen + years looking for this issue I’ve only managed a handful. To those that already “knew” this thread didn’t have much effect :)

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

A good junker never kisses and tells... It was the second book I sold and I was VERY happy. The buyer was not a boardie as far as I know.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:13 PM, snakepittcomics said:

The 128 from G Dolgoff on EBay went for $335!!!! The book graded as FR/GD. Per Overstreet guide, it should be worth about $20 tops. It had extra staples and lots of tape. I have been looking for about 6 or 7 years, so I guess I can continue the search for awhile longer

Snake - were you able to pick up a copy in your WTB thread?  I saw THB sent you a PM and hoping you may have been to close a deal :wishluck:

On 2/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, telerites said:

Snake - were you able to pick up a copy in your WTB thread?  I saw THB sent you a PM and hoping you may have been to close a deal :wishluck:

I accepted his price and bought it. As soon as it arrives it is off o CGC. Then back into my collection. I am now only missing 2 issues to have the entire run of Captain Marvel Adventures.

I need #1 and #18, that's it!!!

11 hours ago, snakepittcomics said:

I accepted his price and bought it. As soon as it arrives it is off o CGC. Then back into my collection. I am now only missing 2 issues to have the entire run of Captain Marvel Adventures.

I need #1 and #18, that's it!!!

That is awesome!  A big  group picture but it would be great to see a group shot in the group shot thread.  That is a heck of an accomplishment and very happy for you to get the 128.  WTB threads don't always work and especially that fast.  Congrats :applause:

On 1/6/2018 at 8:04 PM, FineCollector said:

I wonder how many of these are issues are actually scarce.  Do CMAs get bought and sold at conventions, or are they ignored in the wild as often as they are here?  I rarely see more than three or four at anyone's table at any time.  Harley Yee used to always have a stack of overpriced beaters, but I stopped looking after a while.

They are very much ignored i the wild. I bought some from Harley Yee and I could tell from his prices that he stopped caring about many of them (they were marked at the guide price of at least 5 years ago, for the ones that did change, though many have had the same price for 15-20 years). I was able to get them for very good deals, including the Mac Roboy stuff, granted nothing high grade.

I don't think anything was overpriced though. Here are two examples i still have his price tags for.

Captain marvel Adventures 137 VG+ for $70

Captain Marvel Jr 17 VG for $110

And I got a deal for buying multiple things so ended up paying less than guide, which is not the easiest thing to do at shows.

20200229_224015.jpg

20200229_224054.jpg

20200229_224105.jpg

20200229_224110.jpg

I now have 149 of 150 issues in the Captain Marvel Adventures series. 109 are CGC graded, a few graded by CBCS. I am looking to upgrade some of the later raw issues, 149, 148, 144, 142, 139, 136, 133, 132, 131, 130, 126, 125, 124, 120, 118, 115, 114, 112, 111, 107

If anyone has a line on any of these in CGC 7.0 or higher message me. I want to increase the 109 CGC copies I have and boost my ranking. My ultimate goal is having the entire run and all CGC graded.