• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowest grade you'd accept when collecting

4 posts in this topic

I appreciate it's not always easy to find older comics in the higher grades, but for a Bronze Age comic, what's the lowest grade you'd accept for a CGC grade comic you're buying (not one you sent out yourself for grading). 

I often see 8.5s on Ebay, and as much as it's nice to finally get that grail comic, is it worth it unless it's 9.0+?

All depends on the book.   Like anyone, I prefer the HG range, but with certain books it's not financially viable.  

I collect mostly Silver Age books and I typically look for books in the 7.5-9.0 range (I think this is the "biggest bang for your buck"), but will go much lower as well.

For example:  My ASM 50 is 8.5 (right in my preferred range).   My AF15 is "only" a 2.5 (well out of my preferred range, but I couldn't afford that book otherwise).     

I guess when I found a beat-up G- copy of Marvel Spotlight 5 for a dollar I should've passed on it...  :shy:

It depends on your perspective: I have many thousands of comic books and have bought probably less than fifty online (and most of those in the earliest days of eBay), and never a slabbed copy. That's just me. I like the hunt. I used to love the local comic shows. I still paw thru boxes of comics at antique malls and flea markets, despite knowing they are probably picked over.  I like laying hand to a book that presents itself because I am out and about. Different strokes n all...  :foryou:

Edited by PopKulture