• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

investment opinions
1 1

54 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Specific identities around collecting is exactly the reason why you ignore the individual and look at the group if you're looking for these type of insights. It doesn't matter what you or I may think, believers will state that there is a critical mass of aligned desirability that allow them to make these statements. It's just an extension of market theory - I don't personally have any buy in, it doesn't matter at all to me, I'm a minnow in a big pond.

The price explosion on many pieces just in the last 10 years, blows holes in any system to box comic art. Following the herd regarding market pricing has proven that to be a costly error. Sometimes by ignoring the individual or others opinions will cost you rather large. Have an open mind regarding your market theory arguments. Following the herd is not always in your best interest. Lastly large or small pond buy what you enjoy.

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

lol No eyeroll! I just can't relate...it's not how I collect at all. But you are not the only one who buys art from comics they haven't read. Far from it. There are collectors who will buy a complete issue, sight-unseen (let alone read!). I've sold several that way and it still surprises me each time.

I've purchased on complete issue sight unseen. But it was issue 73 in the run so I was fairly certain I'd like it considering the run so far. And I love the artist's work, so that wasn't an issue. 

I will guess the collectors buying books sight unseen feel similarly. I don't think anyone is buying a complete books from a creative team they are not familiar with (shrug)

6 minutes ago, trimpehulk said:

The price explosion on many pieces just in the last 10 years, blows holes in any system to box comic art. Following the herd regarding market pricing has proven that to be a costly error. Sometimes by ignoring the individual or others opinions will cost you rather large. Have an open mind regarding your market theory arguments. Following the herd is not always in your best interest. Lastly large or small pond buy what you enjoy.

I'm not suggesting anyone follow 'the herd', I'm talking about the emergent behaviors of groups. It's interesting to me as a concept, but doesn't drive my collecting habits.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

I used to be like you, then I wasn't. Somebody else needs to open the thread on buying art just for the art not cuz you like or even know of the book or characters! I think there might be a few of us out there. Buying a full book...sight unseen...that requires much more courage than even I have. Not read I can do full book, but then there's the $$$$$$$$$$ aspect ;)

The other thing is...you're missing out on reading some damn good books!

17 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I'm not suggesting anyone follow 'the herd', I'm talking about the emergent behaviors of groups. It's interesting to me as a concept, but doesn't drive my collecting habits.

Ok I'm glad that you have your own collecting agenda.

5 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

I've purchased on complete issue sight unseen. But it was issue 73 in the run so I was fairly certain I'd like it considering the run so far. And I love the artist's work, so that wasn't an issue. 

I will guess the collectors buying books sight unseen feel similarly. I don't think anyone is buying a complete books from a creative team they are not familiar with (shrug)

Yes, that's correct. They're buying because they love the artist's work, and they trust the artist's track record of consistency.

Still, it's a ballsy move.

Not quite a complete issue, but I did just sell four covers, sight unseen. One of my artists tweeted a cover he had recently completed. A collector wrote me to buy it. But he knew that I don't pre-sell individual pieces. The artist was contracted for five covers, total, so the collector offered to buy all five as a set, with the last four being sight unseen (they haven't even been drawn yet!). I talked it over with the artist, we named the price, and the collector accepted. And paid.

14 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Yes, that's correct. They're buying because they love the artist's work, and they trust the artist's track record of consistency.

Still, it's a ballsy move.

Not quite a complete issue, but I did just sell four covers, sight unseen. One of my artists tweeted a cover he had recently completed. A collector wrote me to buy it. But he knew that I don't pre-sell individual pieces. The artist was contracted for five covers, total, so the collector offered to buy all five as a set, with the last four being sight unseen (they haven't even been drawn yet!). I talked it over with the artist, we named the price, and the collector accepted. And paid.

It becomes less ballsy/risky if you compare it to the commission experience:  

With a commission you pay upfront for something sight unseen. If you REALLY like the artist you say "Do whatever you want, but please use character XXXXXX" and pray it gets done

Buying 'published' sight unseen you pay up front for something unknown. You have an idea what character will be on it and the chances are pretty darn good it will get done ON TIME or near enough. 

Honestly, have you ever paid for 22 commissions by the same artist and had them all done in under 30 days? :roflmao:

Just now, mister_not_so_nice said:

With a commission you pay upfront for something sight unseen. If you REALLY like the artist you say "Do whatever you want, but please use character XXXXXX" and pray it gets done

Buying 'published' sight unseen you pay up front for something unknown. You have an idea what character will be on it and the chances are pretty darn good it will get done ON TIME or near enough. 

Honestly, have you ever paid for 22 commissions by the same artist and had them all done in under 30 days? :roflmao:

lol That's a great way to put it!!

8 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

You also have assurance of quality. The cover is designed to sell the book, so the artist has to do his best to make sure it's a really good job. Commissions don't generally produce repeat business, so the artist can have a "bad day", which everyone does, and move on without ramifications.

I am either not as brave or not as rich as some of you. 

I just know from experience that even for artists I like- not every piece they do is such that I would want to own it. 

Heck - most published covers out there - I have zero interest in owning.  After all - I try and buy what I LOVE?. not what I LIKE☺.

Its not just a matter of execution. The thing that makes a cover good to an editor, is not always what makes a cover good to a collector.

For example - a back shot of a character may be dynamic - but generally speaking I would prefer to see the character's face when I buy a piece of art. 

I am sure each of us out there has specific things we look for. Whatever those things are, it is impossible to look for them when you buy sight unseen.

9 hours ago, Nexus said:

The other thing is...you're missing out on reading some damn good books!

Who said I wasn't reading them? I'm just doing it backwards (as to the order of how most buy the books then buy the art!)

Again: Much better subject to explore in a specific targeted thread (vs. Investment Opinions, which I think is not what this is at all), I have my take and reasoning and I'm interested in what others make of it and their own experiences. If a few others around here are interested too, someone just do it already ;)

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

I have and will continue to buy art sight unseen from certain artists. I also buy art from books I haven’t read. I actually just purchased a Lady Death cover from a member here and I’ve never read a single issue. The image was just burned in my brain from walking into comic shops during the 90’s. 

Same here.  I'm new-ish to OA, bought three pieces last year.  Two of which from stories I have not read, nor likely ever will.  I've also made offers on pieces from books I've never read.  The third one I purchased because I bought a trade (Superman Rebirth #1-#13) and the writing really struck a chord with me.  Great version of Superman.  And with the birth of my own son coming in March I found the storyline personally poignant.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

Who said I wasn't reading them? I'm just doing it backwards (as to the order of how most buy the books then buy the art!)

Again: Much better subject to explore in a specific targeted thread (vs. Investment Opinions, which I think is not what this is at all), I have my take and reasoning and I'm interested in what others make of it and their own experiences. If a few others around here are interested too, someone just do it already ;)

I'd say about half of my art was acquired that way. I buy the art first, then I hunt down the book its from. I like to have copies of all the published books my art is from.

3 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Same here.  I'm new-ish to OA, bought three pieces last year.  Two of which from stories I have not read, nor likely ever will.  I've also made offers on pieces from books I've never read.  The third one I purchased because I bought a trade (Superman Rebirth #1-#13) and the writing really struck a chord with me.  Great version of Superman.  And with the birth of my own son coming in March I found the storyline personally poignant.

Congrats on your upcoming addition to the family. My son/second child was also born in March, on the opening weekend of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. That’s how I remember :nyah: