• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable ashcans?

46 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, rabidwolf said:

Moondog any chance you have the grades on these. I remember the Thrill was a 9.0 and the Fawcett Flash was a 4.5 as I was following both. The others I don’t know. I was hoping to get the Flash as it was a lower grade copy and hoped it would end under 15k but got out of my range. The 9.4 Fawcett Flash went for around 27k about 4 or 5 years ago which seems like a steal now. Thanks. 

I have this information somewhere.  But I haven't been doing annual updates for Overstreet the past 3 years and am behind a bit. It sounds like a project for this winter!

3 hours ago, Peter G said:

I think I remember when that Superman Ashcan sold for 90k. That must have been 2004 I think. Talk about a lousy investment. 

It was a private sale/trade that included a restored Detective 27.  The $90K valuation was what the seller and buyer agreed to.  It was a legit transaction so I included it in my Overstreet report for that year.  This $83,000 sale sets the record for any ashcan at public auction.

9 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I have never seen photos of the interiors for the ashcans.  Anyone have photos?

There are plenty of raw DC ashcans so getting images of the interior of some shouldn't be hard, but it's really not necessary.  My 1999 CBM article lists the interiors of all the DC ashcans.  Just find those books and you'll know what's inside each ashcan.

Just now, Moondog said:

There are plenty of raw DC ashcans so getting images of the interior of some shouldn't be hard, but it's really not necessary.  My 1999 CBM article lists the interiors of all the DC ashcans.  Just find those books and you'll know what's inside each ashcan.

So Gary, it is the actual interiors of comics that had already been printed?

10 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I’m pretty sure the Fawcett Flash was original material that was later used in part in Whiz 2 which is why I think it’s so cool. The true first appearance of captain marvel if I am not mistaken. Moondog obviously is the leading authority and can correct me on that if I’m wrong 

16 hours ago, Moondog said:

Is there a scan of the cover of the Phantom Stranger ashcan? I’ve seen the Mysterious Stranger since Heritage sold it but I believe the Phantom Stranger only exists in the DC vaults? Not sure if I’ve seen it’s cover...

ABAF74A9-EF25-43E7-A061-E29B55C8E07F.jpeg.9ffc753c808d5bcf93f2b6193d99899f.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

22 hours ago, rabidwolf said:

I’m pretty sure the Fawcett Flash was original material that was later used in part in Whiz 2 which is why I think it’s so cool. The true first appearance of captain marvel if I am not mistaken. Moondog obviously is the leading authority and can correct me on that if I’m wrong 

Well, yes, but he was called Captain Thunder in the Fawcett Flash ashcan.  My knowledge of the Fawcett ashcans is not as keen as DC.  I personally consider DC's comics more historically important than Fawcett so I decided to put my efforts into researching and understanding as much as I could about DC's publishing history and how their ashcans fit in.

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

Is there a scan of the cover of the Phantom Stranger ashcan? I’ve seen the Mysterious Stranger since Heritage sold it but I believe the Phantom Stranger only exists in the DC vaults? Not sure if I’ve seen it’s cover...

ABAF74A9-EF25-43E7-A061-E29B55C8E07F.jpeg.9ffc753c808d5bcf93f2b6193d99899f.jpeg

I saw the PS ashcan in the DC vault in 1998 but did not take a photo or scan. 

23 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Yes.  For instance, the interior of the WW ashcan is an almost complete issue of Sensation 2.  They took an already printed copy of Sensation 2, ripped off the cover, added the ashcan cover then had it stitched and trimmed so it appeared to be a real comic book but with a black and white cover.  The Superman ashcan has the just the already printed Superman story from Action 8

16 hours ago, Moondog said:

Yes.  For instance, the interior of the WW ashcan is an almost complete issue of Sensation 2.  They took an already printed copy of Sensation 2, ripped off the cover, added the ashcan cover then had it stitched and trimmed so it appeared to be a real comic book but with a black and white cover.  The Superman ashcan has the just the already printed Superman story from Action 8

Thanks Gary (thumbsu

I love the ashcans and the history behind them and although not my favorite among them per se it’s the discovery of the Whiz #1 ashcans (Thrill,Flash...) that I remember the most. I think the Comic Buyers Guide may have been my first encounter to the story. 

There was once a times in comics when things like what happened to All Winners #20 and why is there no Whiz comics #1 were great mysteries in fandom. The answer to Whiz comics #1 was pretty amazing at the time. Before the facts came out it was a nice little mystery surrounded in rumors and hopes of seeing one much like a Bigfoot sighting. 

Good times...

Edited by N e r V

So I bought the dc Shazam archive 1 which has a reprint of the Flash Comics 1 Ashcan with captain thunder and whiz comics 2(1) comic with captain marvel

the entire origin story in Whiz is identical to the ashcan including panels and the whole Shazam storyline. The Whiz copy has a few additional pages where cap actually takes on the villian

but basically most of Whiz 2(1) is a reprint of the Flash ashcan.

So I don’t understand why Flash ashcan is not considered the first appearance of Shazam and caps origin and whiz 2 basically a reprint.

while most ashcans are reprints of existing comics like the Superman and Wonder Woman ashcans, this actually is the only ashcan to be the original with the comic being the reprint

Edited by rabidwolf

On 1/20/2019 at 10:49 PM, rabidwolf said:

So I bought the dc Shazam archive 1 which has a reprint of the Flash Comics 1 Ashcan with captain thunder and whiz comics 2(1) comic with captain marvel

the entire origin story in Whiz is identical to the ashcan including panels and the whole Shazam storyline. The Whiz copy has a few additional pages where cap actually takes on the villian

but basically most of Whiz 2(1) is a reprint of the Flash ashcan.

So I don’t understand why Flash ashcan is not considered the first appearance of Shazam and caps origin and whiz 2 basically a reprint.

while most ashcans are reprints of existing comics like the Superman and Wonder Woman ashcans, this actually is the only ashcan to be the original with the comic being the reprint

The fact that the ashcan is # 1 is the coolest part of the story.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:10 PM, Moondog said:

The fact that the ashcan is # 1 is the coolest part of the story.

Yes that is very true.

Im going to go ahead and post a side by side of the inner pages from the DC Archive reprinting Whiz 2 and Flash 1 for fun

here,s the covers and page 1 from each

Flashc.jpg

whizcover.jpg

Flash1.jpg

whizp1.jpg