• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BCW Has New Storage Boxes
2 2

35 posts in this topic

I didn't find another thread that mentions these so I thought I'd post about them.  

BCW has a new type of storage box. 

1-CBB-SHORT-BLK_1_open.jpg

I ordered five of these. I only planned to order three but ordering two more got me free shipping and the two extra bins were cheaper than the shipping.  

They arrived yesterday. They are about as solid as milk/storage crates and feel like they are made of the same material, only slicker and glossier. They arrive flat in in pieces, requiring assembly with instructions provided on their site. They were a little difficult to assemble in that the pieces fit incredibly tightly. The rep in the video either has super human hands or the one he put together didn't fit nearly as tightly as mine. I used a rubber mallet to put the final taps on all of the parts. Once in place, I can't imagine that they will ever come apart through any normal wear and tear.  

I love these boxes. I love that they include dividers to hold books up in less than full boxes. I'll use them for a show in February and report more then. I'm not a dealer, just an attendee so I won't be able to attest to how they hold up to multitudes of browsing fans.  

My only reservation is the price. A milk crate can be had for $3-$7 and while there is certainly more material used in these bins as well as having more involved construction (at the manufacturing level), I can't imagine that these warrant three times the price. I need a minimum of 160 to get started in putting my entire collection into them. I'm thinking of ordering five per month unless I can score some kind of bulk deal.

Love the idea of the new comic box there. I might see about ordering some. But my only issues is that the front has the card slider to “name” the box. I don’t like the way. I don’t collect cards nor buy them. I would like the sides be flattened more, not have the lines running up around. 

Will wait and see if BCW will evolve their product later. 

41 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Love the idea of the new comic box there. I might see about ordering some. But my only issues is that the front has the card slider to “name” the box. I don’t like the way. I don’t collect cards nor buy them. I would like the sides be flattened more, not have the lines running up around. 

Will wait and see if BCW will evolve their product later. 

I'm sure that's for structural stability, not aesthetics.

Edited by ygogolak

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

I mean that they could have put a flat layer over the structural lines. I’m sure that can be done on front and back sides.

3 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:
9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I mean that they could have put a flat layer over the structural lines. I’m sure that can be done on front and back sides.

Yeah -  kind of ugly dust-catchers, as is.

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yes, exactly. Also great for spider nests in between these boxes over long term. You’d be surprised how fast spiders can build their  homes. xD

1 minute ago, Fan Boy said:
6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yes, exactly. Also great for spider nests in between these boxes over long term. You’d be surprised how fast spiders can build their  homes. xD

I was actually thinking of that exact same thing after I posted that.  We've got these gigantic brown spiders out in the comic cavern part of the house - sometimes you think a mouse ran by. 

I greased a big one this morning - I think it was the same one I missed the morning before.  It makes you wonder what the heck they are eating out there - must be something good.

14 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I was actually thinking of that exact same thing after I posted that.  We've got these gigantic brown spiders out in the comic cavern part of the house - sometimes you think a mouse ran by. 

I greased a big one this morning - I think it was the same one I missed the morning before.  It makes you wonder what the heck they are eating out there - must be something good.

Once opened a box to look for a certain book, and out popped a big brown spider zipped past me, saying “Hi!”   Freaked me a bit and the funny thing in the box were a run of Avengers with Ant-Man as a member. Makes me wonder if there is a connection?

Learnt never to put boxes on floor. That was how it happened. 

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I'm not worried until they have a saddle.

I wonder if you caulk/seal the edges and base with waterproof silicone if it will give you 4-6 or more inches of flood protection. 

I wonder if they could make some for CGC slabs.

I still like my drawer boxes but I could see the potential value in the additional environmental protection and durability of these boxes. 

Does this divider have something to move back and forth on?  My biggest problem is always having to find the perfect size item to put behind books to keep them standing up straight.  It would be nice if I had something that adjusted as I added or removed books.

edit: on second look, it seems like it has four possible preset positions.  Needs some kind of sliding mechanism.
0jkXVfe.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

While these look cool, I would never buy these simply due to the environmental factor. Plus I hate having to move boxes to get to comics, which is why I went with the Drawerbox system. Took me awhile to finally get all my boxes switched over to Drawerboxes as I own around 200 short boxes of comics, but once it was complete...well, not only does it look really nice, that type of system really does make comic collecting FAR more enjoyable as your able to access any comic without having to move a single box. I could never go back to boxes that I had to move.

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Spider problem solved....6867605931_1850785277_b.thumb.jpg.cc3a3c16462fe4032addc8cc96f48479.jpg

House centipedes are nocturnal hunters that roam through our homes at night searching for prey. They eat spiders, flies, silverfish, moths, roaches, termites, bees, and wasps. So many of our enemies are on thecentipede's menu, you would think we would welcome them. ... Thecentipede won.May 10, 2012

14 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Does this divider have something to move back and forth on?  My biggest problem is always having to find the perfect size item to put behind books to keep them standing up straight.  It would be nice if I had something that adjusted as I added or removed books.

edit: on second look, it seems like it has four possible preset positions.  Needs some kind of sliding mechanism.
0jkXVfe.jpg

You should try Drawerboxes. They have an option called Boxsort rails that do exactly what your talking about. It keeps your comics from falling over when the box isn't full. This is one of my favorite aspects of Drawerboxes as this way you can keep boxes reserved for specific series and just fill it as you go. 

4 hours ago, kpaqu1 said:

There's a lot I like about this type of box: sturdy, stacking, attached lid. However, the 7 5/8" internal width is no bueno for gold and some silver.

This.

I will add Magazines, slabs, magazine slabs, treasuries to the list.

2 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

You should try Drawerboxes. They have an option called Boxsort rails that do exactly what your talking about. It keeps your comics from falling over when the box isn't full. This is one of my favorite aspects of Drawerboxes as this way you can keep boxes reserved for specific series and just fill it as you go. 

I love my Drawerboxes!