• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Technology in comic collecting — now and tomorrow
2 2

45 posts in this topic

As a Silicon Valley-ite, I often wonder. How is tech influencing your collecting?  Beyond the obvious game-changers like ebay, what have you been using + what do you know is on the horizon?

For one,  I’ve become a fan of the Key Collector Comics app.  When I’m at comic cons or the LCS, rather than lugging around an Overstreet or scanning/averaging Ebay sold listings (no fun), I just check the app and get my answer.   Plus as someone who likes to pick up large lots from time to time (typically via trade with my sports cards), it’s proven very handy.

Covered by bleedingcool last month with pics, https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/06/key-collector-comics-mobile-app-aims-make-key-comic-collecting-easy/. Have seen the founder on the boards to boot.

As for digital comics, they’ll never replace the actual thing for me (physical non-comic books are doing just fine too), but I appreciate being able to catch snippets of books/battles online, e.g. via a Google “Images” search.  Comicbookplus.com has been a godsend for non-copyrighted Golden Age.

And virtual reality somehow applied to comics would be crazy... :whee:

11 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

As a Silicon Valley-ite, I often wonder. How is tech influencing your collecting?  Beyond the obvious game-changers like ebay, what have you been using + what do you know is on the horizon?

For one,  I’ve become a fan of the Key Collector Comics app.  When I’m at comic cons or the LCS, rather than lugging around an Overstreet or scanning/averaging Ebay sold listings (no fun), I just check the app and get my answer.   Plus as someone who likes to pick up large lots from time to time (typically via trade with my sports cards), it’s proven very handy.

Covered by bleedingcool last month with pics, https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/06/key-collector-comics-mobile-app-aims-make-key-comic-collecting-easy/. Have seen the founder on the boards to boot.

As for digital comics, they’ll never replace the actual thing for me (physical non-comic books are doing just fine too), but I appreciate being able to catch snippets of books/battles online, e.g. via a Google “Images” search.  Comicbookplus.com has been a godsend for non-copyrighted Golden Age.

And virtual reality somehow applied to comics would be crazy... :whee:

Off the top of my head, using MS Excel or a cloud-based cataloging system is sure better than notebook paper I used to use as a kid. Now I put grades in my color-coded Excel spreadsheet instead of using check marks or scratching out numbers on a list! :banana:

Social media is also connecting us to other collectors. Now I make comments on cool books and NFL playoffs to the same people. It is also interesting to see what type of people share the same interests as me. 

Looking forward to the next 20 years.  

2 hours ago, FN-2199 said:

Off the top of my head, using MS Excel or a cloud-based cataloging system is sure better than notebook paper I used to use as a kid. Now I put grades in my color-coded Excel spreadsheet instead of using check marks or scratching out numbers on a list! :banana:

Social media is also connecting us to other collectors. Now I make comments on cool books and NFL playoffs to the same people. It is also interesting to see what type of people share the same interests as me. 

Looking forward to the next 20 years.  

I’ve noticed folks using Excel when selling, as well!  Sort function definitely helps lol

Social media-wise, mostly Facebook or Instagram or Twitter?

13 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

With the internet quickly changing pricing, I don't see how the Key Collector App is better than eBay. Does it aggregate current pricing?

Social media platforms that have exploded for comic buying an selling are Facebook and Instagram. YouTube for comic hauls, news, commenting, etc...

I would say it is more for people that don't know what they are shopping for.  If I came upon a full run of something I didn't collect but I wanted to be "That Guy" and buy only the keys issues it works good for that.

Excel is cool too but I only see that as a fancy checklist.

I like to use www.comicbookrealm.com which I guess you would consider a 'website based cloud storage checklist and priceguide'.  I can do it all in one spot.  You can also export your whole collection to excel.  I only need to bring a phone when shopping cons.  Couldn't tell you how many times this has resulted in me leaving my phone sitting on a dealers longbox though.  lol

Edited by 90sChild

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

With the internet quickly changing pricing, I don't see how the Key Collector App is better than eBay. Does it aggregate current pricing?

Social media platforms that have exploded for comic buying an selling are Facebook and Instagram. YouTube for comic hauls, news, commenting, etc...

i would add Pinterest to the group as well. A good number of deals get done on Facebook and Instagram before Ebay now.

Plus with buying reading comics I would say 60 percent of my purchases are digital comic books for the Kindle Fire and iPad.

Hard to resist $3 to $5 masterworks/EPIC collections and .99 cent comic books compared to $4.99 cover for a single issue

The game has changed quick..

2 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I would say it is more for people that don't know what they are shopping for.  If I came upon a full run of something I didn't collect but I wanted to be "That Guy" and buy only the keys issues it works good for that.

Excel is cool too but I only see that as a fancy checklist.

I like to use www.comicbookrealm.com which I guess you would consider a 'website based cloud storage checklist and priceguide'.  I can do it all in one spot.  You can also export your whole collection to excel.  I only need to bring a phone when shopping cons.  Couldn't tell you how many times this has resulted in me leaving my phone sitting on a dealers longbox though.  lol

Yes, just make sure you export your list before con's. Most that I have been to don't have free wifi and cell service can be spotty.

30 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

i would add Pinterest to the group as well. A good number of deals get done on Facebook and Instagram before Ebay now.

Plus with buying reading comics I would say 60 percent of my purchases are digital comic books for the Kindle Fire and iPad.

Hard to resist $3 to $5 masterworks/EPIC collections and .99 cent comic books compared to $4.99 cover for a single issue

The game has changed quick..

Pinterest doesn't have an open dialogue forum though, does it? Everything I've seen is that it's just photos.

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

I’ve noticed folks using Excel when selling, as well!  Sort function definitely helps lol

Social media-wise, mostly Facebook or Instagram or Twitter?

I hear a lot about Facebook but I decided that I will not participate a long time ago. I like Instagram for showing off run filler, drek, or something fun like #multiplecomicmonday. 

I think YouTube is invaluable for anything DIY and that includes comics. I learned a lot from grading tutorials. 

51 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I'm at 100 % digital now.

52 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Pinterest doesn't have an open dialogue forum though, does it? Everything I've seen is that it's just photos.

It does have analytics though you can install that helps to track what characters are trending by re-pinning. I did an experiment on there and found out that Squirel Girl is by far one of the most popular characters by people re-pinning her photos. Also found out the female comic characters have huge followings on Pinterest.I will never underestimate Spider-Gwen and Silk`'s popularity again.  lol.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm at 100 % digital now.

It is unbelieavable now as in anytime you want to read a comic book you just do a click.

I really think this is going to be the game changer. Dig thru old long boxes for hours or a click?

Scour Ebay for hours or a click?

Digital comics are more convenient,take up less space and are cheaper. Not to mention most look better because they are re-mastered.

Basically the only thing modern print comic books got going for them over digital comics now is keys and variant covers . Those are the money comics that digital can't compete with.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

some interesting things happening and some things that would be interesting if they're happening but they're not.   GPA Analysis is a really good tool but it's desktop browser based.  It's clumsy to navigate the browser version on mobile devices but have had to do that a number of times, particularly if I'm at a con.   More and more people are sharing and selling books on Instagram but I don't like it because I don't think it's a good place to transact money.  It's hard to see the book on IG if you're contemplating a buy.  But it's connected tons of people in the space and expanded the collector base probably significantly.  Heritage has a good mobile app, CC and Clink don't have one.  That would be helpful.  Every time those auctions close I have to plant myself in front of the desktop.  

Looks like Key Collector had a major update a few days ago... 4.9/5 rating, partnership with Valiant and probably others pending... this app is goin’ places.  Their book prices are suggested anyways and aggregating in a later update would be a piece of cake.  That app logo could be improved though, haha.

8 hours ago, Comic Closet said:

The digging is the fun part. 

I do enjoy digging, just more fun when I can reduce potential hours of it to 45 min. (:

One thing that keeps me from using FB/Insta etc. for these things... absence of safeguards.  And in the absence of safeguards, how far does community trust go?  CGC does its best with HOS, etc. But there’s gotta be more innovation out there.   Blockchain tech?

Edited by exitmusicblue

21 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It is unbelieavable now as in anytime you want to read a comic book you just do a click.

I really think this is going to be the game changer. Dig thru old long boxes for hours or a click?

Scour Ebay for hours or a click?

Digital comics are more convenient,take up less space and are cheaper. Not to mention most look better because they are re-mastered.

Basically the only thing modern print comic books got going for them over digital comics now is keys and variant covers . Those are the money comics that digital can't compete with.

If augmented reality gets really good, I’m curious to see what happens... that said, I like there being both physical and digital books in the ecosystem.

I'm not techy at all.  I had a flip phone for the longest time, so my comic list was a well-folded piece of paper with plenty of scribbles on it.  Now I've moved on to a Smart Phone and my list on Word.  Tinkered with spreadsheets to record my collection, but don't know Excel enough to build my own checklists.

Digging through a comic box is truly a joy.  When I go into a box to take something out or put something in, I rarely go straight for the book, I love flipping through the entire box and admiring my stuff.

Now that I've transitioned to collecting primarily Golden Age, I find it's much easier for me to remember what I have.  As opposed to thousands of silver/bronze/copper books, I have a much smaller collection to manage, thus a smaller want list.

I use Excel to manage my inventory, but I don't use any apps to track books or pricing.  If anything, I log into GPA from my phone to get a ballpark and go from there.  Sometimes, the books I'm looking at haven't seen a public graded sale for years, so it's not always helpful.  A lot of times, I don't know what I'm looking for until I see it.  I collect specific artists rather than titles, which again makes it easier to remember what you have and what you don't, and cuts the need for much technology.