• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Technology in comic collecting — now and tomorrow
2 2

45 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I'm not techy at all.  I had a flip phone for the longest time, so my comic list was a well-folded piece of paper with plenty of scribbles on it.  Now I've moved on to a Smart Phone and my list on Word.  Tinkered with spreadsheets to record my collection, but don't know Excel enough to build my own checklists.

Digging through a comic box is truly a joy.  When I go into a box to take something out or put something in, I rarely go straight for the book, I love flipping through the entire box and admiring my stuff.

Call me crazy, but I also appreciate that old comic smell you get with SA and older books... something lost with technology!

I'm just shy of 1000 books now. I use an online database to track my collection, but my physical organization technique would probably drive you crazy! What works for me is a by-the-box approach, grouping similar titles, so if i'm looking for a specific type of book there is a box for that. You would think Avenglyne books are right behind Avengers, but no, Avengelyne is in the Bad Girl box, Avengers is in the Marvel box. What about Spider-Woman, don't look for her under Marvel, she hangs out in the Spider-Man section. :ohnoez: 

5a57724da51b1_CollectionTabs.jpg.2efc823c06a5fb0424f37c1b6825a35a.jpg

On 10 January 2018 at 2:43 AM, exitmusicblue said:

Call me crazy, but I also appreciate that old comic smell you get with SA and older books... something lost with technology!

Technology moves on.  Amazon is currently developing Comixology and Kindle apps for mobile devices, which will be able to replicate a nostalgically-acrid newsprint odour. 

Currently in its early stages, and still smelling a bit ozone-like, similar to what you might expect from a tablet which is electrically shorting out.  But, I'm confident they'll get there in the end.

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Technology moves on.  Amazon is currently developing Comixology and Kindle apps for mobile devices, which will be able to replicate a nostalgically-acrid newsprint odour. 

Currently in its early stages, and still smelling a bit ozone-like, similar to what you might expect from a tablet which is electrically shorting out.  But, I'm confident they'll get there in the end.

Amazing... knew I’d learn a ton from this thread.

Reminds me of VR user cases that would be amazing for senior citizens who no longer have full mobility... they can morph into Spidey some day.  Seriously.

7 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I'm just shy of 1000 books now. I use an online database to track my collection, but my physical organization technique would probably drive you crazy! What works for me is a by-the-box approach, grouping similar titles, so if i'm looking for a specific type of book there is a box for that. You would think Avenglyne books are right behind Avengers, but no, Avengelyne is in the Bad Girl box, Avengers is in the Marvel box. What about Spider-Woman, don't look for her under Marvel, she hangs out in the Spider-Man section. :ohnoez: 

5a57724da51b1_CollectionTabs.jpg.2efc823c06a5fb0424f37c1b6825a35a.jpg

Sounds like you could use the Key Collector app, to boot.  I’m just beginning to tap into its organizational capabilities.

14 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Sounds like you could use the Key Collector app, to boot.  I’m just beginning to tap into its organizational capabilities.

I'm already using a database website and their corresponding app, so i probably wouldn't use the other app for organizing, but I do like what the app has to offer.

22 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

IMG_5267.JPG:whatthe:

Edited by Jayman

On 11/01/2018 at 10:17 AM, Ken Aldred said:

And the simulation of the human experience continues to move towards .... ???? Jacques Ellul was one of the earliest to sound the warnings about the 'efficiency' of technologies ... give me a glass of Ripasso, my favourite man-cave chair, and a long-box I just bought from an OO ... the smell and feel of stored books, the scent of the red as the glass nears, and the sudden realization that a Hulk 181 was stuck between a Wytchblade and a Willow ... that just cannot be replicated, whatever "they're" developing ...  

2 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

And the simulation of the human experience continues to move towards .... ???? Jacques Ellul was one of the earliest to sound the warnings about the 'efficiency' of technologies ... give me a glass of Ripasso, my favourite man-cave chair, and a long-box I just bought from an OO ... the smell and feel of stored books, the scent of the red as the glass nears, and the sudden realization that a Hulk 181 was stuck between a Wytchblade and a Willow ... that just cannot be replicated, whatever "they're" developing ...  

I admire your sophistication. 

Keep the red wine away from the Hulk 181, though.

35 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

What's the use?  I already remember what keys I own, that's the easy part.  What I need is a list to keep track of everything else.

Try the latest version with an open mind.  The app has always had more than the major keys.  I may be able to immediately remember most of my keys and semi-keys, but certainly not everything that has value, the exact grade, purchase price, every reason why each is notable, net worth of multiple copies of the same issue, etc,

Plus the main point is to identify, not just catalogue.

Also: Speaking as a CSO in Silicon Valley... I see an ecosystem in the works.

Edited by exitmusicblue

23 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Try the latest version with an open mind.  The app has always had more than the major keys.  I may be able to immediately remember most of my keys and semi-keys, but certainly not everything that has value, the exact grade, purchase price, every reason why each is notable, net worth of multiple copies of the same issue, etc,

Plus the main point is to identify, not just catalogue.

I collect runs, so the app is useless to me, but that app does a disservice to the collecting community.  Take Neil Gaiman's Sandman as an example.  Are the only issues worth having 1, 4, 8, 14, and 75?  May as well sell the rest, since they have no significance, right?  Keep the first Styx and Stone in Amazing Spidey 305, though... it's listed on the app, so that's a much better book.  :foryou:

46 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I collect runs, so the app is useless to me, but that app does a disservice to the collecting community.  Take Neil Gaiman's Sandman as an example.  Are the only issues worth having 1, 4, 8, 14, and 75?  May as well sell the rest, since they have no significance, right?  Keep the first Styx and Stone in Amazing Spidey 305, though... it's listed on the app, so that's a much better book.  :foryou:

Don’t think I can help you. lol  Mighty strong words about a free app that is getting rave reviews all over the place.

I can honestly say that technology really hasn't had much of an effect at all on any of my collecting hobbies, except for eBay and I started using eBay within the first 3-4 months of it going live so I have been using it for a LONG time now. So nothing has really changed for me on the technology front in a very long time. My wife and I still love going to regular auctions, estate sales, and we even started going to storage bin auctions a few years back. As for cataloging, I only make up basic lists using Mac's basic TextEdit program and thats really more for insurance purposes than anything else, although those lists do come in handy for knowing what issues you need to complete a particular run or if your collecting a particular artists covers. And I have absolutely no interest in digital comics whatsoever so I really don't see anything changing for me on this front anytime soon. 

Then again, I am old school when it comes to a lot of things. For example, I absolutely hate digital photography. I still shoot film 99.9% of the time and all of my limited edition prints are either silver halide prints, Lith prints, or platinum or palladium prints created in my darkroom. I do own a 24" Epson SureColor P6000, but I only use it for my commercial print orders. I just have absolutely no interest in creating limited editions made up of digital giclee prints. And I mainly shoot large format (4x5 & 8x10), which are the old school kind of view camera's where you have to go under a dark cloth to compose the picture. IMO, its just the purest form of photography. Plus I think I am one of the last people in 1st world countries that doesnt own a cell phone. So any technology or software that requires a cell phone is completely useless for me since I don't own one anymore. I hated my cell phone almost as much as I hate digital photography and had it switched off 95% of the time so it just didn't make sense continuing to pay for a cell plan that I never used. I finally got rid of my cell phone like 5 years back and I have been living a MUCH happier life since taking that step. So unless some cutting edge piece of technology or software comes around that completely changes the game in regards to collecting, I really don't see anything changing for me on this front. 

On 1/12/2018 at 4:49 AM, Jimbo749 said:

I'm already using a database website and their corresponding app, so i probably wouldn't use the other app for organizing, but I do like what the app has to offer.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:21 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Cool, which one?

Key Collector has outdistanced the pack for me.

On 1/13/2018 at 5:19 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I wish they had a app that good like that for sportscards. 

Thanks for the kind words; we have a giveaway ongoing for you guys below.  Our followings on FB and Instagram are quite large, but we always have much respect for the CGC crowd and its opinions.  We’ll keep getting better and better!

https://www.facebook.com/keycollector/posts/1866082643703548:0

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd8f8VwlG8p

Edited by Key Collector Comics

12 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Thanks for the kind words; we have a giveaway ongoing for you guys below.  Our followings on FB and Instagram are quite large, but we always have much respect for the CGC crowd and its opinions.  We’ll keep getting better and better!

https://www.facebook.com/keycollector/posts/1866082643703548:0

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd8f8VwlG8p

I , like a few that posted have no real use for the app. I can however appreciate its function.  Anything that promotes the hobby is a good thing.

19 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I , like a few that posted have no real use for the app. I can however appreciate its function.  Anything that promotes the hobby is a good thing.

Coming from you, it’s an honor.  The app’s capabilities will keep expanding so we’ll keep you posted!