• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading a book - S.Surfer 44

8 posts in this topic

So I just purchased several days ago a copy of Silver Surfer 44 for my collection. The book in the pics were flawless and looked like a solid 9.6 even a 9.8 potentially.  So naturally when I got the book I was excited but then I opened it up and the cover, and back cover are in MINT condition. When I say mint, I should say NM, but nonetheless I was very happy.  Then I opened up the book and checked out the pages, it seems they all have waves on the bottom of the book and top.  So before I send them to CGC for grading, what do you guys think?  How bad is this, and will it completely kill the grade of the book.  It almost looks like water damage but then why isn't the front cover like this. odd. The pics of the cover are the ones from eBay.  

Now I am debating if I should just get a refund from the seller, and find a copy elsewhere. Or if I should send to CGC.

Thanks in advance everyone.

-J

20180107_101519.jpg

20180107_101523.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited by pewterss

You didn't mention the signature on the book. That signature will get you a Green Qualified Label. I suspect this book was over hydrated for a press and while the covers came out nice the inner pages suffered. In any case, get your money back. I would not submit this book.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You didn't mention the signature on the book. That signature will get you a Green Qualified Label. I suspect this book was over hydrated for a press and while the covers came out nice the inner pages suffered. In any case, get your money back. I would not submit this book.

Yes I did forget to mention that, haha sorry. I guess I will also add that I paid $53 plus $7 for shipping, so in all $60.  I didn't think of the press idea.  But then again I am not sure what the procedure is for pressing. I do know they dampen it a little, maybe in this case a little too much. uughh.

I have a tonne of comics I bought off the rack back then that have that ripple,some books  in my collection from that era do,some don't..all stored in the same manner,i'm certain never exposed to moisture.(most purchased from the same place)

Some folks here have suggested the quality/type of inks used? @RockMyAmadeus ? I can't remember what thread it was in.

Edited by porcupine48

11 hours ago, pewterss said:

Yes I did forget to mention that, haha sorry. I guess I will also add that I paid $53 plus $7 for shipping, so in all $60.  I didn't think of the press idea.  But then again I am not sure what the procedure is for pressing. I do know they dampen it a little, maybe in this case a little too much. uughh.

I actually found your purchase on E-Bay and the seller states he accepts Returns. Some personal advice, never buy a book with a signature on it that you plan on submitting. It doesn't work. A signature on a CGC submitted book must be witnessed. So, in this case, regardless of the interior rippling, I would return the book. I honestly don't know how CGC would view the rippling but I suspect it may land you in a 9.2 range. In any case, it would be a Green Label. I don't think this is the results you are looking for. 

10 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I have a tonne of comics I bought off the rack back then that have that ripple,some books  in my collection from that era do,some don't..all stored in the same manner,i'm certain never exposed to moisture.(most purchased from the same place)

Some folks here have suggested the quality/type of inks used? @RockMyAmadeus ? I can't remember what thread it was in.

Yes, I concur on your point. However, the ripples I have seen are usually 'flexible'. The ripples on this book look 'stiff', like they experienced some water and have dried out.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, I concur on your point. However, the ripples I have seen are usually 'flexible'. The ripples on this book look 'stiff', like they experienced some water and have dried out.

Guess it'd have to be seen in hand?It does look pretty extensive.I pulled out a copy of SS #18 I purchased of the spinner last night that was close,and the ripples are only at the top of that book,but look very similar.

Do you,or does anyone else have any idea on how these would affect a grade if submitted?I personally don't submit books right now or have anything pressed-do you think those would/could  be removed,flattened out?