• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Married covers - resubmit?

13 posts in this topic

My LCS has a late GA book that has a green label with a married cover, noted on the label.  Notes show cover was split and reattached with tape.  

I'm not thrilled with tape, but my question is...why would this be considered "Married?  Is there any chance of cracking and resubmitting coming back as a blue label?

I'd be ok thinking it's all original, but just was loved so much it needed tape...but does a "married" notation absolutely mean it's not the original cover and that fact was established when it was submitted?

Or is the detached cover alone trigger qualified?  I've seen other blue labels with detached covers I thought.

Thanks so much for any insight.

Hey Matt,

here's a recent example. I think CGC picks up on the fact it was married at staple analysis level (holes). But I'll let others who know more weigh in.

Not a fan of tape either. Nasty stuff with time (tape stains) ! *yuck* :eek::sick:

det1.1934a.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

Yes, staple holes along the cover lining up/misaligned with staples on first wrap will show if that cover belongs to that interior. Although it is possible to have married the two and the staples and holes line up perfectly. In that case, it may be impossible to tell unless the PQ did not match up with interior covers   Typically, tanning or browning on the inside covers mean the same for the interior pages. 

8 hours ago, Bat34 said:

My LCS has a late GA book that has a green label with a married cover, noted on the label.  Notes show cover was split and reattached with tape.  

I'm not thrilled with tape, but my question is...why would this be considered "Married?  Is there any chance of cracking and resubmitting coming back as a blue label?

I'd be ok thinking it's all original, but just was loved so much it needed tape...but does a "married" notation absolutely mean it's not the original cover and that fact was established when it was submitted?

Or is the detached cover alone trigger qualified?  I've seen other blue labels with detached covers I thought.

Thanks so much for any insight.

I once submitted an Action 1 coverless, then later thru a series of odd events, got the original cover. I was told it was matched up by comparison of stain/dirt pattern on inside covers to the stain/dirt pattern on the pages

Edited by fleepunyhumans
Accuracy

22 minutes ago, fleepunyhumans said:

I once submitted an Action 1 coverless, then later thru a series of odd events, got the original cover. I was told it was matched up by comparison of stain/dirt pattern on inside covers to the stain/dirt pattern on the pages

?Mind Blown!! 

4 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

Whoa!  Love to hear about these odd events, if you want to share the story.

To OP:  I'll echo the other responses and say that CGC usually is accurate in detecting when a cover from another book has been married to a coverless copy, so resubmitting probably won't get you anywhere.  If it's a book you would otherwise have difficulty finding (or affording), I wouldn't necessarily let the married cover stand in the way of buying it. 

16 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

It must have been about 1997.  It was a different world back then.  Here in Dallas, we had these little cons once a month.  It was before all that manga and cards and whatever stuff’s going on now.  Just comic dealers.  Rich would come up from Bedrock, Ponsetti from New Orleans, sometimes Harley from wherever he is from.  That all ended when the guy who put on the cons ran off with everyone’s money.  Anyway, I knew a guy who sold the Action 1 interior to me for a few thousand dollars.  I wasn’t sure if it was real, so I sent it to Robert Roter at Pacific Comic Exchange.  This was before CGC.  As he was confirming its authenticity, the seller contacted me to tell me he’d found the cover, and did I want to buy that too.  (!!!) Roter and I went 50 - 50.  I don’t know who he submitted it to to make sure the cover matched up, but what he told me is the stains and tears were matched up, and the cover pronounced to be the actual true cover to the interior.  It kills me now to think about it, but I think we paid $9K for the both, and sold it for $30k.  I don’t know who he sold it to.

I try not to think about it

Great story!  Have you seen the book come back to the market since then?

Anybody remember the large stash of original printed covers that turned up in the bay area many years ago? I think Ray Storch found them. I bought a whole bunch of them and like may others, matched them up with low grade or coverless copies. I believe I still have some put away. They were un-trimmed and even had the crop marks on them. 

20 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

It must have been about 1997.  It was a different world back then.  Here in Dallas, we had these little cons once a month.  It was before all that manga and cards and whatever stuff’s going on now.  Just comic dealers.  Rich would come up from Bedrock, Ponsetti from New Orleans, sometimes Harley from wherever he is from.  That all ended when the guy who put on the cons ran off with everyone’s money.  Anyway, I knew a guy who sold the Action 1 interior to me for a few thousand dollars.  I wasn’t sure if it was real, so I sent it to Robert Roter at Pacific Comic Exchange.  This was before CGC.  As he was confirming its authenticity, the seller contacted me to tell me he’d found the cover, and did I want to buy that too.  (!!!) Roter and I went 50 - 50.  I don’t know who he submitted it to to make sure the cover matched up, but what he told me is the stains and tears were matched up, and the cover pronounced to be the actual true cover to the interior.  It kills me now to think about it, but I think we paid $9K for the both, and sold it for $30k.  I don’t know who he sold it to.

I try not to think about it

I love to hear these kinds of collector stories, thanks for sharing!  And you still tripled your money, that is a win in most people's minds.  Now what did you reinvest in, that is the real question...  hm

2 hours ago, mwotka said:

I love to hear these kinds of collector stories, thanks for sharing!  And you still tripled your money, that is a win in most people's minds.  Now what did you reinvest in, that is the real question...  hm

If it was in Tec 27s, he's in good shape.  :)

On 1/8/2018 at 12:17 AM, Bat34 said:

I'm not thrilled with tape, but my question is...why would this be considered "Married?

Hi Bat,

I think the notes on the label may be confusing you. The comic is not "married" because of the reattached cover with tape. The comic is married in addition to the reattached cover with tape.

Apparently CGC already feels certain that this cover is from another book. I would not bother to resubmit the book.

Just my 2c

:)