• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-submitting old CGC label for new grade

7 posts in this topic

I have very old books that were slabbed back when they were still using red modern labels back in 2001. They have never seen a press and I feel could benefit from a grade bump. Can I submit to CGC still slabbed and have them press and then re-grade? Do I submit the same way I would for a comic not slabbed? 

The short answer is  no.  It is more involved to CPR (Crack, Press & Resubmit) than it is to just submit a raw book. 

At the CGC submission portal, you are going to be selecting that you want to send the books to CCS for pressing. I would suggest paying the $5 extra for evaluation. CCS will look at the book and see if they believe it would improve from pressing (there is no guarantee of improvement. Just their professional opinion.  If pressing is deemed beneficial, they will schedule it. Once pressed (several months unless you pay for faster service) they will then send the book over to CGC for grading and encapsulation. 

I do suggest you send already graded books in still encapsulated. The slab provides some protection during shipping and CCS does their evaluation with the book still slabbed. If they decide a book is not a good pressing candidate and you decide not to send it in for regrading, then they can ship you the book back still CGC graded. 

One consideration: is the potential "grade bump" worth your time and effort in packaging, waiting for the press and re-grading, return shipping cost? The old red labels are pretty cool, and I would factor that in as well. If it's a Hulk 181, GSXM 1 or similar, maybe. Otherwise, personally I'd be happy holding on to the old red label, sort of a badge of honor...

4 hours ago, comicparadox said:

One consideration: is the potential "grade bump" worth your time and effort in packaging, waiting for the press and re-grading, return shipping cost? The old red labels are pretty cool, and I would factor that in as well. If it's a Hulk 181, GSXM 1 or similar, maybe. Otherwise, personally I'd be happy holding on to the old red label, sort of a badge of honor...

I agree, I think the old red label adds value. Some collectors, like myself, prefer unpressed books and will seek out red labels.  I also concur with Joey that there is no guarantee of a grade bump, which could result in a big waste of time and money. Unless it's a high value key, I say don't bother.