• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations for a colourist? (digital is fine)

5 posts in this topic

I was fortunate enough to get a really great commission for the ever-excellent Bob McLeod, 11 x 17 Kraven's Last Hunt -- will post as soon as I scan it. I'm thinking about getting it coloured, anyone have any experience commissioning someone to do that? Ballpark price range for an amateur? I'll probably surf deviantart.com and see if I can find something, but was looking for any advice beforehand...

my tastes range to older school base colours, with a minimum of filters and effects...more pastel than shiny. Think Dave Stewart over "modern" colouring, which I really, really hate, in general.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Mike

Per the recommendation of Michael  Golden and Neal Adams, I use Jeff Balke. He has done both copic marker and digital for me. I have done over 50 pieces with him, and he is truly amazing. He consistently meets or surpasses his deadline, and is priced very fairly. I can send scans if interested. 

http://jbalkesart.com/sketchcoloring.html

Troy R. Kinunen, troy@mearsonline.com

Lately, I've been wondering about a related subject.

Has anyone bought pencil work, made a mylar copy, and had the mylar inked? It might be pretty cool to have different inkers do their thing on the same pencils and see how their work differs. 

You could try my friend Tom Ziuko,. He is selling some of his color guides on my site so you can check that for examples of his work. He can work in either traditional formats or digital and has years of experience. I would highly recommend him.