• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEST CGC SCANNER AND NEW CASE BAGS?

16 posts in this topic

Heoollo and happy 2018, to everyone, :tink:

So, Bunkys could really use your help with the below problems. 

What is the best new make model and manufacture version of a scanner for CGC booKs ? please,  AND with the new CGC slabs, what is the best brand and product mylar bag for a tight fit, as it seems the current bags I use are now too big and baggy for my compulsive obsessive way. 

Any help is really appreciated,

B

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

There is long, long thread here on the boards about scanners for encapsulated books. Basically you want a charge coupled device (CCD) based scanner, not a Contact Image Sensor (CIS) scanner.  CIS scanners have no depth of field - the sensor can only "see" what is laying flat on the glass. CCD scanners can "see" about 3/8" past the glass. Since comic books are about 1/8- 1/4" inch away from the glass once encapsulated, you need that depth of field of the image is all fuzzy. A fuzzy image from being past the depth of field cannot be fixed via photo editing software. 

Virtually all new scanners that are large enough (legal size paper or greater) and cost less than a grand are CIS scanners. Because CIS is cheaper and smaller. 

What this means is older scanners on eBay and Craigslist are your friends.  What I have is an HP Scanjet 8300. The HP 8000 series scanners are popular because they sold really, really well to businesses and government agencies.  The last forever and for the most part you can nearly always find a few on eBay. Because they are government/business oriented, HP keeps the drivers up to date on their website. They work just fine with Windows 10 and the current Apple OS. 

There are other choices. But I have always found that the HP's are easiest to find and work with virtually any version of Windows and Apple OS

Well said sir. I love my HP Scanjet 8300. The included software works great too. Can't go wrong with VueScan either. 

Although not as shiny, I like the snug poly bags that has a pre applied sticky strip on the back to hold the flap. There isn't as much "space" around the new slab and the bag is tighter. Not sure who sells those though....

Edited by Primetime

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned, we're using an HP 8250; with VueScan. The problem is getting started, the scanner locks up constantly, requiring unplugging, killing the process, restart and repeat, repeat, repeat. I don't know if the problem is the scanner or the software (purchased full version).

I was hoping there was a brand new scanner that I could purchase.

Now that I know the name (charge coupled device); I'll do some hunting on the internet. If I find a new product, I'll update this thread.

Bunky Junior

//////

Regarding the bags, that is Bunky Brian; he's a real stickler for presentation. I'll let him take it from here.

Leaning towards Epson WorkForce GT-1500. New they're $250 and refurbished around $140.

https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/Document-Scanners/Epson-WorkForce-GT-1500-Color-Document-Scanner/p/B11B190011

Photoelectric Device:EPSON MatrixCCD® Line Sensor

Optical Sensor:Color Epson MatrixCCD™ line sensor

Document SizesPaper size Minimum: 5.9" x 5.9"

Paper size Maximum: 8.5" x 14"

7 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned, we're using an HP 8250; with VueScan. The problem is getting started, the scanner locks up constantly, requiring unplugging, killing the process, restart and repeat, repeat, repeat. I don't know if the problem is the scanner or the software (purchased full version).

I was hoping there was a brand new scanner that I could purchase.

Now that I know the name (charge coupled device); I'll do some hunting on the internet. If I find a new product, I'll update this thread.

Bunky Junior

//////

Regarding the bags, that is Bunky Brian; he's a real stickler for presentation. I'll let him take it from here.

Try updating the drivers and switch software. I use Paint.net along with an HP8250. It's been a warhorse. Think I paid $35 a few years ago. My only complaint are the scratches that have accumulated on the glass, and sometimes I still have problems with reflections when scanning the thicker CGC cases.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, thirdgreenham said:

I still use the mylite 2s, what’s the size? 914m2

As for scanner, ask Roy. (thumbsu 

23 hours ago, Tony S said:

There is long, long thread here on the boards about scanners for encapsulated books. Basically you want a charge coupled device (CCD) based scanner, not a Contact Image Sensor (CIS) scanner.  CIS scanners have no depth of field - the sensor can only "see" what is laying flat on the glass. CCD scanners can "see" about 3/8" past the glass. Since comic books are about 1/8- 1/4" inch away from the glass once encapsulated, you need that depth of field of the image is all fuzzy. A fuzzy image from being past the depth of field cannot be fixed via photo editing software. 

Virtually all new scanners that are large enough (legal size paper or greater) and cost less than a grand are CIS scanners. Because CIS is cheaper and smaller. 

What this means is older scanners on eBay and Craigslist are your friends.  What I have is an HP Scanjet 8300. The HP 8000 series scanners are popular because they sold really, really well to businesses and government agencies.  The last forever and for the most part you can nearly always find a few on eBay. Because they are government/business oriented, HP keeps the drivers up to date on their website. They work just fine with Windows 10 and the current Apple OS. 

There are other choices. But I have always found that the HP's are easiest to find and work with virtually any version of Windows and Apple OS

First 2 replies are exactly what I personally use/have. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Try updating the drivers and switch software. I use Paint.net along with an HP8250. It's been a warhorse. Think I paid $35 a few years ago. My only complaint are the scratches that have accumulated on the glass, and sometimes I still have problems with reflections when scanning the thicker CGC cases.

ugh - the drivers!!! Vuescan is up to date; but I haven't updated the drivers in a long time. I'll give that a go - THANK YOU!