• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

OK, maybe not official since it hasn't been 'blessed' by the powers-that-be at Heritage, but the auction isn't that far away and I haven't seen a thread for it yet so let's all meet here and chat about some of our favourite pieces in the auction, answer some questions, and hopefully, we'll end up with a few winners and share in our victories.

I'll post some more over the next few days.

Re: asm 100

Dont give up so easy.

I thought your home was a wealth home. :foryou: Was hoping you would sell off all the black hole art you keep to get this grail.  So the rest of us can get new affordable pieces.

And remember, as back up, there's always the line of credit in emergencies like this. 

Edited by Panelfan1

10 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Re: asm 100

Dont give up so easy.

I thought your home was a wealth home. :foryou: Was hoping you would sell off all the black hole art you keep to get this grail.  So the rest of us can get new affordable pieces.

And remember, as back up, there's always the line of credit in emergencies like this. 

Ha haa!  I've done the math, including funds from selling pints of blood, eating Kraft Dinner at every meal for the next 5 years, and I still won't be able to afford this cover ☹️

14 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Jill Thompson Sandman #45 Stripper page.  Sandman is searching for his big brother, Destruction and asks his former girlfriend, Ishtar (now a stripper) if she knows his whereabouts.  This sequence with Ishtar was very memorable.

That last panel alone is worth a big pricetag.  Killer.  I'm sure this one will go pretty high, given the huge tear Sandman art is on. 

24 minutes ago, bisquitodoom said:

That last panel alone is worth a big pricetag.  Killer.  I'm sure this one will go pretty high, given the huge tear Sandman art is on. 

I'm guessing this is all the same seller.

pgs 19 and 21 sold last year as well:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jill-thompson-and-vince-locke-sandman-45-page-21-original-art-dc-vertigo-1993-/a/7163-94730.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jill-thompson-and-vince-locke-sandman-v2-45-story-page-19-original-art-dc-vertigo-1993-/a/7166-92235.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The bigs guns are coming out for the Feb HA Signature Auction. A fantastic example by the master Dave Stevens. I have had the pleasure of seeing this one in person. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Vampirella: A Scarlet Thirst Cover Painting

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-stevens-vampirella-a-scarlet-thirst-cover-painting-original-art-harris-1993-/p/7177-133001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#7177-133001

17180565%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

4 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

The bigs guns are coming out for the Feb HA Signature Auction. A fantastic example by the master Dave Stevens. I have had the pleasure of seeing this one in person. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Vampirella: A Scarlet Thirst Cover Painting

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-stevens-vampirella-a-scarlet-thirst-cover-painting-original-art-harris-1993-/p/7177-133001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#7177-133001

17180565%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Caught my eye too. I've had that print for something like twenty-five years, still wrapped up as released (First Team Press, iirc?) and tucked away flat...somewhere or other? lol Once I got more serious into OA I've often wondered where Dave's art for that and the other Vampirella print released at the same time were hiding...

Image result for dave stevens vampirella print
Just noticed on the HA offering that Dave ran out out of room compositionally and added paper to the bottom. This can happen. Others may see that as a problem, I think it's actually more interesting. (Not that I'd pay more for that though, but I wouldn't pay less either.)

49 minutes ago, vodou said:

Caught my eye too. I've had that print for something like twenty-five years, still wrapped up as released (First Team Press, iirc?) and tucked away flat...somewhere or other? lol Once I got more serious into OA I've often wondered where Dave's art for that and the other Vampirella print released at the same time were hiding...

Just noticed on the HA offering that Dave ran out out of room compositionally and added paper to the bottom. This can happen. Others may see that as a problem, I think it's actually more interesting. (Not that I'd pay more for that though, but I wouldn't pay less either.)

Both pieces were up on CAF at one point.  The tombstone piece is still up on CAF in Jim Reid's gallery. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Both pieces were up on CAF at one point.  The tombstone piece is still up on CAF in Jim Reid's gallery. 

Ah. Thanks. And that's about how hard I've been looking since say...2000 or so ;)

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

OK, maybe not official since it hasn't been 'blessed' by the powers-that-be at Heritage, but the auction isn't that far away and I haven't seen a thread for it yet so let's all meet here and chat about some of our favourite pieces in the auction, answer some questions, and hopefully, we'll end up with a few winners and share in our victories.

Back in, I think, the very early 80's (or very late 70's) I attended a Comic Convention where I first encountered OA. Some dealer (God knows who it was), had stacks of art on a table, and I was looking through it...fascinated. It was all outside of my price range. I had like $20 total to spend, and I was looking for comics, not this stuff. One page would have blown my whole budget (and the better stuff was out of my reach).

I recall the dealer, at one point, asking me...and another person looking at the art at the table, if I "wanted to see something really cool." Of course I did, so he reached under the table and pulled out what I believe was the COVER to Batman #232...which would be the literal first appearance of Ras Al Guhl. The older collector at the table's draw dropped. Mine didn't. The reason was because I was a Marvel collector, and had never even heard of Ras Al Guhl, and didn't care about Batman. Of course, I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

The other collector there asked the dealer if he wanted to sell it (because, of course you have to ask that). He said "no way."

I wonder where that page is.

9 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Back in, I think, the very early 80's (or very late 70's) I attended a Comic Convention where I first encountered OA. Some dealer (God knows who it was), had stacks of art on a table, and I was looking through it...fascinated. It was all outside of my price range. I had like $20 total to spend, and I was looking for comics, not this stuff. One page would have blown my whole budget (and the better stuff was out of my reach).

I recall the dealer, at one point, asking me...and another person looking at the art at the table, if I "wanted to see something really cool." Of course I did, so he reached under the table and pulled out what I believe was the COVER to Batman #232...which would be the literal first appearance of Ras Al Guhl. The older collector at the table's draw dropped. Mine didn't. The reason was because I was a Marvel collector, and had never even heard of Ras Al Guhl, and didn't care about Batman. Of course, I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

The other collector there asked the dealer if he wanted to sell it (because, of course you have to ask that). He said "no way."

I wonder where that page is.

We talked about this cover here recently. It's in two parts, with the Ra's art on an overlay. I saw it in person about 10 years ago in a dealer's under-the-table stash. I believe Scott W. confirmed this as well.

5 minutes ago, Nexus said:

We talked about this cover here recently. It's in two parts, with the Ra's art on an overlay. I saw it in person about 10 years ago in a dealer's under-the-table stash. I believe Scott W. confirmed this as well.

Yep. "Under the table stash" is exactly how I would describe what I saw.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Kane Star Wars #7 cover.  I never read the comic so excuse my ignorance, but was the steroid Bugs Bunny a recurring character in the comic book?  Never seen him before.  Here's the linky: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/gil-kane-and-tony-dezuniga-star-wars-9-cover-original-art-marvel-1978-/p/7177-90001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Yes.  His name is Jaxxon, and his first appearance was in Star Wars #8.  He is an obscure character, and a fan favorite.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:51 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Man, I really want to go after that Star Wars #7 cover -- tickles all the nostalgia for me -- but I have a feeling a certain Star Wars collector with much deeper pockets 

will end up with it.

57 minutes ago, fsumavila said:

Man, I really want to go after that Star Wars #7 cover -- tickles all the nostalgia for me -- but I have a feeling a certain Star Wars collector with much deeper pockets 

will end up with it.

Sounds like a great punishment bid opportunity. :devil: