• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Peanuts?

Aside from running for 50 years, and being a staple of three generations of children (maybe it was only in America) on almost every major holiday with their TV specials, and being a licensing giant making itself ubiquitous....it really spoke in a true way to so many emotions and situations that faced everyone growing up and beyond.

Other than that I don't get it either. 

None of which resonated with me as a child nor 10 years ago when I tried to read The Complete Peanuts volumes, and only made it through the 1st three volumes.  Never had an issue with kite-eating trees, self-esteem, little red haired girls, a sassy pet, etc.  Also, didn't care for the art, especially latter squiggly lines strips

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

If you read the first three volumes without enjoying it, then sir, it’s pistols at dawn.

Yeah, I realize it's an unpopular statement, but I prefer Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan, Raymond Rip Kirby, Salinas Cisco Kid, and other adventure strip art drawn in the realistic style

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

None of which resonated with me as a child nor 10 years ago when I tried to read The Complete Peanuts volumes, and only made it through the 1st three volumes.  Never had an issue with kite-eating trees, self-esteem, little red haired girls, a sassy pet, etc.  Also, didn't care for the art, especially latter squiggly lines strips

Well, the kite-eating trees was the struggle of success or failure.

The Lucy Van Pelts of the world pulling away the ball at the very last moment is pretty universal. 

The little red-headed girls represented having a crush or an infatuation the never went away.

The sassy pet was you struggling while a friend, almost effortlessly, succeeded. 

Metaphors for life, my man. 

Edited by comix4fun

6 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Very few of the rock stars of the strip era (which is where I place the Ducks for ease of description) have seen price increases, or even tread water against inflation, in the last 20 years. 

Schulz is the exception to the very cruel rule. 

I’d add McCay and Herrimann to that short list. Maybe early Raymond as well. 

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I notice the Calvin & Hobbes strip art in this auction is doing pretty well so far. 

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yeah, I realize it's an unpopular statement, but I prefer Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan, Raymond Rip Kirby, Salinas Cisco Kid, and other adventure strip art drawn in the realistic style

Yikes.   I generally find those boring.   I guess that'why they make chocolate and vanilla

10 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

The problem with that approach is that you can lose to someone who hit the 20% mark first, and you could win at 21%. 

I think you should just go with what you can manage, based on how much you like the piece. 

I think the 20% above recent comp auction approach was suggested, not so much as a strategy to win a piece, but more as a way to orient your own mind prior to an auction as to what you should be looking to pay at a minimum, if you wanna be an active participant in the auction. 

6 hours ago, comix4fun said:

They do ok generally, but you've got great examples of Herriman selling recently for less than or (best case) equal to sales from 10-15 years ago. That's why I mentioned treading water against inflation or worse.

I don't really follow Segar but I didn't notice much spike in the public auction. 

I guess every artist/title/strip has their day in the sun.

10-15 years ago Herriman KK Sundays were plentiful at $6K. Tom Horvitz was selling a bunch (which I believe were from a Herriman relative) for that price. Comparable ones are 3X-4X that today. So while not as good a return as most Marvel art from that time, a 3X-4X price increase is certainly a nice return. Same could be said for Raymond Flash Gordon strips, Frazetta Johnny Comets, and Foster Tarzan strips as well. 

--Mark T

8 minutes ago, marktom said:

10-15 years ago Herriman KK Sundays were plentiful at $6K. Tom Horvitz was selling a bunch (which I believe were from a Herriman relative) for that price. Comparable ones are 3X-4X that today. So while not as good a return as most Marvel art from that time, a 3X-4X price increase is certainly a nice return. Same could be said for Raymond Flash Gordon strips, Frazetta Johnny Comets, and Foster Tarzan strips as well. 

--Mark T

I was only looking at the auction results...it seemed a lot from the same years, or time periods, were selling recently in ranges close to 2004-2007 numbers.  You'd know better about the non-auction results obviously. 

9 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

That is - when people say "I hope to win" you need to give yourself a chance - to do that you need to be prepared to spend more than the previous close. You might not have to - and I wouldnt suggest placing the bid in advance and leaving it. 

The percentage 25-50% is not a set # and will depend on your budget (hard cap) and the value of the piece (ex: $200 vs $20,000). 

So the 20% vs 21% is not an issue as you need to set your expectations to a range. Not a specific amount.

From what I've seen, "I hope to win" is usually code for "I hope that the piece goes cheap so I have a chance at buying it".

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

To be fair, when I read them growing up in the mid 80s to late 90s, I thought they were incredibly unfunny and lame.      It was only when I went back and read the 1950 - 1980 material, esp the 50-65 period, that I understood what a joy the strip is.  

Exactly.  Schulz was mailing it in for a long time.  As a kid in the 70s, I thought the strip was terrible.  But then I got a compilation from the 50s and 60s and realized how great it was in the beginning.

This is unfortunately an inevitable development for any comic strip.  Cranking out 6 dailies plus 1 Sunday every week, year after year, would have to drain anyone.  Particularly if you were ultra-successful and you knew that your strip was such a staple that the newspapers would never ever pull it.  The temptation to just coast and/or outsource after a while would be overwhelming, and it's exactly what we've seen in virtually every strip that's run for more than 15 years or so.  The only strips that defied this trend were those where the characters actually aged (Gasoline Alley and For Better or Worse) or were Sundays only (Prince Valiant).    

59 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Exactly.  Schulz was mailing it in for a long time.  As a kid in the 70s, I thought the strip was terrible.  But then I got a compilation from the 50s and 60s and realized how great it was in the beginning.

This is unfortunately an inevitable development for any comic strip.  Cranking out 6 dailies plus 1 Sunday every week, year after year, would have to drain anyone.  Particularly if you were ultra-successful and you knew that your strip was such a staple that the newspapers would never ever pull it.  The temptation to just coast and/or outsource after a while would be overwhelming, and it's exactly what we've seen in virtually every strip that's run for more than 15 years or so.  The only strips that defied this trend were those where the characters actually aged (Gasoline Alley and For Better or Worse) or were Sundays only (Prince Valiant).    

Calvin and Hobbes would like to have a word with you for this insult... :baiting: 

For me, there were a few newspaper comic strips that I always loved to read from young kid to adult.

1.  Peanuts, the library in my childhood library had the reprint strips in book form and I loved those early strips

2.  Calvin and Hobbs   loved everything from this series, still do today

3.  Bloom County classic all the way

4.  Hagard the Horrible always like this one

5.  Marmaduke I still find these funny

6.  Wizard of Id another classic

Peanuts was everything to me growing up and I loved it straight through the 70’s. Any time I was sick I would end up with a new paperback with Peanuts reprints to read while I was home from school. I found myself “faking it” often. It was the introspective Kid’s cathartic release. Nothing has ever replaced it for me but Calvin and Hobbes comes close.  

13 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Well, the kite-eating trees was the struggle of success or failure.

The Lucy Van Pelts of the world pulling away the ball at the very last moment is pretty universal. 

The little red-headed girls represented having a crush or an infatuation the never went away.

The sassy pet was you struggling while a friend, almost effortlessly, succeeded. 

Metaphors for life, my man. 

I appreciate your passion for Peanuts, and your above-noted interpretation Chris, but as I said, I've spent some time to 'click' with this strip and its impression on me has fallen flat.  I realize there are folks that will defend it as the best strip ever, but its not the be-all, end-all they think it is.  Sorry :foryou: 

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I appreciate your passion for Peanuts, and your above-noted interpretation Chris, but as I said, I've spent some time to 'click' with this strip and its impression on me has fallen flat.  I realize there are folks that will defend it as the best strip ever, but its not the be-all, end-all they think it is.  Sorry :foryou: 

I think it is personal. Peanuts is not my favorite either - but I do like it.  I think depending on what you read as a kid - you may like different things.  Far side is probably the top 'strip' for me - but there are many I loved growing up that I would love an example from.

If anyone has a mother goose and grimm sunday to sell - please send me a pm.

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

You should try peanuts where they substitute in lyrics from The Smiths. They blend perfectly somehow.