• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

I actually loved peanuts as a kid. I grew up in the 80s and read the strip religiously. But to be fair, for like 3 months of the year I lived someplace with no power or plumbing so reading newspaper strips (even old ones i found) was actually pretty fun for me lol as was re-reading the same 70+ comic books (growing at a slow pace as old issues fell apart).

Side story sorta related. Later in life I sold some of his art back to his daughter, she sent me a snoopy doll for my (at the time only) daughter similar to one I had when I was like 4. She slept with it in her bed until my youngest was born and she gave it to her. She is now 3 and still sleeps with it. When each one got it for the first time I told them Snoopy's sister sent them this doll, that it seems made a big impression on them. 

Peanuts / Schulz shares a lot of similarities with Kirby.     The body of work is undeniable.   The top moments are magic.    The moments at the end aren’t great.    The amount of the work is vast.    They have to be considered in any discussion of their respective mediums.    They are a couple 800 pound Gorillas of their genres and love them or hate them the prices will reflect it

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For me, there were a few newspaper comic strips that I always loved to read from young kid to adult.

1.  Peanuts, the library in my childhood library had the reprint strips in book form and I loved those early strips

2.  Calvin and Hobbs   loved everything from this series, still do today

3.  Bloom County classic all the way

4.  Hagard the Horrible always like this one

5.  Marmaduke I still find these funny

6.  Wizard of Id another classic

I'm not sure if you have seen it, but Phoebe and her unicorn is really cute.

WRT Peanuts, I understand where the poster is coming from (about "not getting it").   I was never really a fan.  I thought the animated specials were rather lame growing up and the strips weren't on my "read first" list (that was The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Mother Goose & Grimm).   This would be the 80's/90's.   

However, my tune has changed a bit since I had my kid.  She's a fan and loves the animated specials, so I've watched them again (after a long hiatus) over the past few years.  There is something charming about them (that I missed in my younger days).   As an Xmas present this year, I picked her up that first volume of the daily strips.   They are pretty good and, again, there's a certain charm about them that most other strips don't have.

I certainly appreciate the impact and importance of the strip and the characters.   They are iconic.  It's still not my favorite, but I've grown to appreciate it a little more since I've had my kid.

Speaking of Peanuts, the recent movie was on TV last night.   We hadn't seen it and my daughter wanted to watch it.   Just dreadful, IMO.   It just missed the mark on nearly everything that makes the Peanuts what they are.      

On 2/11/2018 at 12:57 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Calvin and Hobbes would like to have a word with you for this insult... :baiting: 

Calvin and Hobbes is the perfect example of how to do it right.  It only ran for 10 years, allowing Watterson to maintain a high quality for the entire period. 

I bet if he were still doing it today, 23 years later, Hobbes would have some horrible Spike-like brother or some stupid Woodstock-like side kick, Calvin would have some terrible Peppermint Pattie-like friend, and we'd all read it purely on inertia thinking the whole time that it sucked.

12 hours ago, heartened said:

Sorry for the delay.  It was the Seduction of the Innocent cover.  My personal favorite of his.

Oh terrific!   That’s a classic.   Congrats!!

21 hours ago, chromium said:

I love those.

ZPZHTBELSBDGJG6MLMD4ACRDSU.gif

They are collected in "This Charming Charlie" 

http://thischarmingcharlie.tumblr.com/

They are great...this one was my favorite...

tumblr_mr8zesWAZu1seji43o1_500.png

On 2/12/2018 at 4:30 AM, chrisco37 said:

WRT Peanuts, I understand where the poster is coming from (about "not getting it").   I was never really a fan.  I thought the animated specials were rather lame growing up and the strips weren't on my "read first" list (that was The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Mother Goose & Grimm).   This would be the 80's/90's.   

However, my tune has changed a bit since I had my kid.  She's a fan and loves the animated specials, so I've watched them again (after a long hiatus) over the past few years.  There is something charming about them (that I missed in my younger days).   As an Xmas present this year, I picked her up that first volume of the daily strips.   They are pretty good and, again, there's a certain charm about them that most other strips don't have.

I certainly appreciate the impact and importance of the strip and the characters.   They are iconic.  It's still not my favorite, but I've grown to appreciate it a little more since I've had my kid.

Speaking of Peanuts, the recent movie was on TV last night.   We hadn't seen it and my daughter wanted to watch it.   Just dreadful, IMO.   It just missed the mark on nearly everything that makes the Peanuts what they are.      

Yeah that Peanuts movie was dreadful. 

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

No way!   My daughter loved it!    She was talking about Snoopy's girlfriend Fifi for a month!   I enjoyed it too

I took my daughter to the theatre to see it. I think she may have enjoyed it, but I fell asleep ? within the 1st 10 mins so I can't say for certain if she liked it.  I will say this for her and other kids:  if it's a movie they really liked, they will ask to see it again or ask you to purchase a blu-ray or download it.

Lord knows I've seen "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" a dozen or more times! doh!

Edited by jjonahjameson11

4 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I took my daughter to the theatre to see it. I think she may have enjoyed it, but I fell asleep ? within the 1st 10 mins so I can't say for certain if she liked it.  I will say this for her and other kids:  if it's a movie they really liked, they will ask to see it again or ask you to purchase a blu-ray or download it.

Lors knows I've seen "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" a dozen or more times! doh!

I was dozing off with it when my son and I went to watch it.  My son, just this weekend, passed on the chance to get it from the library so to me that's his comment on it too.

BTW, I'm currently in the middle of reading all of Calvin and Hobbes.  I wish the art was affordable as I'd love to have something from it.  Oh well.  I'll have to think of an inventive commission instead...

8 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I was dozing off with it when my son and I went to watch it.  My son, just this weekend, passed on the chance to get it from the library so to me that's his comment on it too.

BTW, I'm currently in the middle of reading all of Calvin and Hobbes.  I wish the art was affordable as I'd love to have something from it.  Oh well.  I'll have to think of an inventive commission instead...

Is this the first time you are reading Calvin and Hobbes Simon or are you re-reading it?

Just now, malvin said:

Is this the first time you are reading Calvin and Hobbes Simon or are you re-reading it?

I've read it in parts, but I'm now reading it in full, from the first strip to the last.  It's in-between other comics I pick up so I don't think I'll finish any time soon at the rate I'm going.  So it's basically me taking a break from my more traditional comic reading.

1 hour ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I've read it in parts, but I'm now reading it in full, from the first strip to the last.  It's in-between other comics I pick up so I don't think I'll finish any time soon at the rate I'm going.  So it's basically me taking a break from my more traditional comic reading.

Enjoy!  It’s wonderful stuff.  

44 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I liked it a lot, my daughters loved it. It felt right to me, authentic in many ways.

The Peanuts movie?  

I thought it felt “forced”.  Like they tried to squeeze in the jokes.