• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

Reasonable reserve on that Adams Avengers page.

I really like that page a lot. 

47 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Waiting 20 years for this "just around the corner" price drop.  I would be THRILLED if we had a "catastrophic" price drop so i could actually buy and afford to keep some of the items on my list. It just keeps being on the horizon, never quite getting there. Heck I cant even get a nice little price correction of 10-20 percent.

The price drop won't happen until it happens.  And then it will come, as Hemingway said, "gradually, and then suddenly".

Until then, though, the trend is your friend. :preach: 

5a870e2eb240d_Turkeychart.png.f626c9284526d0b09daf94574a766075.png

Edited by delekkerste

So, a bit off topic from the HA Sig auction, but at the HA Sunday Feb 11th auction, someone paid $2,868 for a panel page (yes, numerous panels) from Hulk 391 by Keown

to the best of my knowledge, this is the highest public sale price for a Keown panel page, and makes me wish I hadn't sold all of my panel pages. :tonofbricks:

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

The price drop won't happen until it happens.  And then it will come, as Hemingway said, "gradually, and then suddenly".

Until then, though, the trend is your friend. :preach: 

any

Could happen any time, to a quick or slow degree based on a clues we cant predict nor patterns we havent seen...maybe...yay...

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, a bit off topic from the HA Sig auction, but at the HA Sunday Feb 11th auction, someone paid $2,868 for a panel page (yes, numerous panels) from Hulk 391 by Keown

to the best of my knowledge, this is the highest public sale price for a Keown panel page, and makes me wish I hadn't sold all of my panel pages. :tonofbricks:

link?

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Must be the Thor Ragnarock bump.

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I was watching that page with slightly more than a passing interest as I have the page directly after it.  Considering the Hulk shots on the page, it really is a shocking result.  I have to hope it was an anomaly and two fanboys going at it on a page. Though War and Pieces was a great story so maybe that is the X-Factor, so to speak, on this page.

My favourite panel page sourced from you has to be this one:  http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=561154 :cloud9:

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Keown Hulk prices have been all over the map lately(shrug)

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/01/12/market-report-q4-2017-heritage-sunday-auctions/

51 minutes ago, O. said:

Keown fans are known to be particular about which inker and which issue they spend their money on....McLeod, Farmer, Rubinstein and de la Rosa (that sweet page in Heritage) are all inkers that come to mind. It's a key component in pricing and desirability. 

Edited by comix4fun

45 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Keown fans are known to be particular about which inker and which issue they spend their money on....McLeod, Farmer, Rubinstein and de la Rosa (that sweet page in Heritage) are all inkers that come to mind. It's a key component in pricing and desirability. 

Exactly.  But it also aligns with the story too so you have Pantheon + Farmer which makes it all the more special.  That's the majority of my pages and what I would most like to add to.

10 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Exactly.  But it also aligns with the story too so you have Pantheon + Farmer which makes it all the more special.  That's the majority of my pages and what I would most like to add to.

There's two really nice Keown splashes.. the one I used to own from Incredible Hulk 373, with its witty banter, and you just know that Doc Samson is gonna be in a world of pain when the Hulk smashes that tank on his head.  Poor Lenny can never catch a break... or a tank!  ?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dale-keown-and-sam-de-la-rosa-incredible-hulk-373-story-page-14-original-art-marvel-1990-/a/7177-92125.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

the second splash is more recent and features the Hulk and Wolverine from the Avengers + Xmen series.  I'm a fan of Dale's newer style (well, not so new any more because it's been around 15 years since Hulk:the End introduced this style) and this is a killer splash featuring Hulk and Wolvie so I'll definitely be watching this one.  Here's the link:  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/dale-keown-a-x-1-splash-page-8-hulk-and-wolverine-original-art-marvel-2012-/a/7177-92126.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

Edited by jjonahjameson11

23 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This is one of the reasons why I have set myself a $1000 per piece limit on my purchases. Also, it's one reason why I have shifted more toward modern stuff. I think the modern stuff has a future when the current fans of those books mature. But, the older stuff is going to top out, for non-special pieces anyway. Look at the GA market for run-of-the-mill panel pages compared to the Bronze Age marvel stuff right now.

There is a demographic wave effecting prices, and there is a certain amount of spillover caused by speculation.

If the OA market collapses, my family won't be stuck with pages that they can't get a fraction of what I paid for them. I enjoy them, but when I'm gone, they may not want them.

What you have described with buying Bronze Age art is comparable to what has happened in the classic car market. The old stuff hits a price and stays there (or drops). The stuff people lusted after when they were young keeps moving up.

By the way, I think more modern art (beginning with late Silver Age) is often better than the earlier art. The illustrator quality for GA material may be excellent, but the restricted way in which panel pages were set up, in particular, make the OA less desirable to view. 

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

What you have described with buying Bronze Age art is comparable to what has happened in the classic car market. The old stuff hits a price and stays there (or drops). The stuff people lusted after when they were young keeps moving up.

By the way, I think more modern art (beginning with late Silver Age) is often better than the earlier art. The illustrator quality for GA material may be excellent, but the restricted way in which panel pages were set up, in particular, make the OA less desirable to view. 

Thats subjective. A lot of modern stuff is all headshots and without dialog - not to exciting.

4 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Thats subjective. A lot of modern stuff is all headshots and without dialog - not to exciting.

I do hate the absence of dialog. OA is supposed to move the story along. Without the dialog, you can't tell whether it is doing its job.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Closes this week. Should be a lot of fun stuff to watch :banana:

Very true.  I'm watching over 300 lots and there's so many of them that need to triple and quadruple their current bid amounts just to hit FMV.  I realize it's still early in the week, but there's only three days (including today) before live bidding on Friday