• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I was talking to some friends the other day and it was about covers and how it almost doesn't matter any more who drew it, or what the characters are, as long as it's from Marvel or DC there's a huge bump upwards on the floor of any Bronze/Copper cover. 

I can see this.  It goes to recognition.  I've done more than my fair shore of combing through long boxes.  I may not have a strong nostalgic tie to a random B or C-list Marvel title from the 80's, but I probably recognize it and probably read it at some point.  That doesn't mean I'd shell out a huge sum for one or that I'm hoping that whoever's on it will end up with their own movie and go up in value.  I collect things that I like, without real thought about investment.  But I think there's enough coolness in owning the cover to a book I'm familiar with that it's worth something.  As opposed to so many of the non-important 80's/90's pages that are constantly on the market and low-priced.  For me, a cover I recognize is cool to own in and of itself, though usually not as much as the market thinks it's worth.  A page needs to have something more special about it.  

34 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

The Stevens is already posted on CAF!

:cloud9:

He should really fill in the "For Sale Status" with "NFS" before he gets hit with a bunch of "will you trade it for this stack of Spectacular Spider-Ham art?" requests.

21 hours ago, Skizz said:

Do you mean that Kirby/Ditko drawn Silver Age characters like Spider-Man, Thor etc will have a longer cross generational appeal than art of popular characters like Deadpool and Walking Dead? 

If so, I am inclined to agree. But I don’t think random Bronze Age Marvel/DC covers bought at premium will retain their inflated value once collectors who were teenaged during the Bronze Age move on. 

I think delekkerste gave a really good example in one of earlier pages how ‘The Correction’ might happen. 

No, if you review my posts, I was referring to 50s-60s art saying you can’t group all together.  An earlier post questioned the collectability of the 50s-60s art given the aging demographics. I believe 60s Marvel/DC super-hero art would have long-term collectibility compared to 50s-60s non-superhero and non-Marvel/DC art.

Obviously, Walking Dead and Deadpool were not around in the 50s-60s...so not covered by my comment. 

4 hours ago, comix4fun said:

He should really fill in the "For Sale Status" with "NFS" before he gets hit with a bunch of "will you trade it for this stack of Spectacular Spider-Ham art?" requests.

Don't knock the Ham!  :)

14 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Obviously, Walking Dead and Deadpool were not around in the 50s-60s...so not covered by my comment. 

I thought Deadpool made a cameo appearance in the last page of Fantastic Four #1 cover date Nov 1961

Edited by Skizz

3 minutes ago, MisterX said:

I'm kind of baffled how a Luis Dominguez cover sat for months unsold on a dealer's website (and CAF) for 2K , gets pulled, stuck into the auction, and ends up selling for 4,660!  :cry: :ohnoez:

When you think its always going to be available, even if the price is reasonable, you don't feel the urgency to act.

Once it's at auction, you know you have to act if you want it.

I see it often on lower end items.  Either I have it for sale on my CAF, or someone else does, and once it goes to auction, it goes for more than the previous for sale price.

Malvin

5 hours ago, malvin said:

When you think its always going to be available, even if the price is reasonable, you don't feel the urgency to act.

I see it often on lower end items.  Either I have it for sale on my CAF, or someone else does, and once it goes to auction, it goes for more than the previous for sale price.

Malvin

That is so true. Unless the asking price was way above market - thats when the seller may experience some reality.

6 hours ago, malvin said:
6 hours ago, MisterX said:

I'm kind of baffled how a Luis Dominguez cover sat for months unsold on a dealer's website (and CAF) for 2K , gets pulled, stuck into the auction, and ends up selling for 4,660!  :cry: :ohnoez:

Malvin

Ive experienced the same.

6 hours ago, MisterX said:

Some people only buy art thru auctions.