• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2018 at 8:36 AM, fsumavila said:

Man, I really want to go after that Star Wars #7 cover -- tickles all the nostalgia for me -- but I have a feeling a certain Star Wars collector with much deeper pockets 

will end up with it.

Yeah...i debated even bothering throwing stupid money at it just to accelerate the eventual bidding war between 2 folks...but really why bother on that one, im not gonna be willing to cover the 55k that will sell for.

I was just wondering whether you see anything trending down? From what I've read on these boards, Gil Kane and John Byrne art has dropped. In Bryne's case, it makes sense if only because there is so much of it. And despite the number of people who like Kane, he isn't one of my favorites. 

But getting back to what's offered, any likely drops?

Edited by Rick2you2

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I was just wondering whether you see anything trending down? From what I've read on these boards, Gil Kane and John Byrne art has dropped. In Bryne's case, it makes sense if only because there is so much of it. And despite the number of people who like Kane, he isn't one of my favorites. 

But getting back to what's offered, any likely drops?

Byrne art has dropped?  I must have blinked and missed that.  Somebody should inform the high bidders on the Superman pieces that sold over the past few auctions on Clink!  I'll bet they'd disagree with you.

8 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Byrne art has dropped?  I must have blinked and missed that.  Somebody should inform the high bidders on the Superman pieces that sold over the past few auctions on Clink!  I'll bet they'd disagree with you.

I was just repeating what I had read elsewhere. 

More pointedly, have there been any downward trends you have noticed?

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I was just repeating what I had read elsewhere. 

More pointedly, have there been any downward trends you have noticed?

Nothing has really jumped out at me indicating a downwards trend, except perhaps on Neal Adams art in general, but I suspect that's been due to the relatively high number of pages available over the past two or three Heritage Signature Auctions, and a few of the Clink featured auctions.  Given the recent proliferation of BWS artwork, perhaps we'll see the same downward pressure on some of his work, too? (shrug)

Getting back to this auction, so much stuff in my wheelhouse in this one for both comics and OA.

Tons of Peanuts Dailies with many that I really like.  Been wanting one for a long time.

Couple of Felix the Cat

WonderWoman cover with a real nice image of WonderWoman

Groo #8 cover

Romita Jr Spiderman 231 splash

Adams Ras panel from Batman 232

Ton of DC Silver Age panel pages.

Kirby is represented for a lot of Silver and Bronze stuff

23 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Nothing has really jumped out at me indicating a downwards trend, except perhaps on Neal Adams art in general, but I suspect that's been due to the relatively high number of pages available over the past two or three Heritage Signature Auctions, and a few of the Clink featured auctions.  Given the recent proliferation of BWS artwork, perhaps we'll see the same downward pressure on some of his work, too? (shrug)

I wouldn't count on Smith going down. My likely suspects would be "journeymen" artists of the 1960's and the 1970's. 

OK, onto round two of some interesting pieces for discussion:

More to come next time...

7 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I hope you've been saving for a long time! :baiting:

I was just looking at recent sales on HA and it looks like a daily depending on content is in the $12k to maybe $20k.  I suspect the ones I am interested will be at the higher end.  Anyone have other thoughts?

34 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I was just looking at recent sales on HA and it looks like a daily depending on content is in the $12k to maybe $20k.  I suspect the ones I am interested will be at the higher end.  Anyone have other thoughts?

Did you look at the November Signature auction results? They were much higher, even for a few that I didn’t expect to break 25- they broke $50k for dailies. One early One broke $100, which is a big exception.  

I had my eye on one in November that I thought MIGHT hit $20-25 and it ended up at $65. 

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Did you look at the November Signature auction results? They were much higher, even for a few that I didn’t expect to break 25- they broke $50k for dailies. One early One broke $100, which is a big exception.  

I had my eye on one in November that I thought MIGHT hit $20-25 and it ended up at $65. 

Yeah I saw those but considered the high price ones to be premium versions.  The daily that hit over $100k was from '53.  I find everything from 50s is pretty high.  Everything I am interested is from the 60s which are hopefully lower :wishluck:

9 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Yeah I saw those but considered the high price ones to be premium versions.  The daily that hit over $100k was from '53.  I find everything from 50s is pretty high.  Everything I am interested is from the 60s which are hopefully lower :wishluck:

Good luck! This auction is shaping up to be the best for things I am interested in that I have ever seen.

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:
4 hours ago, tth2 said:

I hope you've been saving for a long time! :baiting:

All I can say is that Peanuts OA, particularly the early stuff, has always been expensive and keeps getting more expensive.  I thought they hit a range a few years ago, but then have moved up over the last few auctions and then exploded in the November auction.

In summary, prepare yourself for paying more than what any previous sales would indicate.

16 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Here's some discussion on the recent strength of non-mutant '80s Byrne OA:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/11/24/market-report-november-2017-heritage-signature-auction/

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/12/08/market-report-november-2017-comiclink-featured-auction/

2 hours ago, O. said:

Thanks. 

What about his later work, and his not-so-significant work?