• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuble PCH Book.
2 2

76 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Private

16 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

If we are talking purely $$$ potential at auction, I can't imagine any PCH book selling for more than one of the two 9.6 GFC copies of Crime Suspenstories 22. 

An 8.5 copy sold for $9,560 at Heritage 3 years ago.

True! there would be some serious potential there.

20 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

If we are talking purely $$$ potential at auction, I can't imagine any PCH book selling for more than one of the two 9.6 GFC copies of Crime Suspenstories 22. 

An 8.5 copy sold for $9,560 at Heritage 3 years ago.

Maybe, but it is Crime Suspenstories. The cover may be horrific, but it is a crime book. 

59 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Maybe, but it is Crime Suspenstories. The cover may be horrific, but it is a crime book. 

Ok then where do you draw the line? Tomb of Terror was a horror book but switched to sci-fi at the end. War Against Crime and Crime Patrol are "crime" books but featured the first EC horror hosts. All are considered PCH, as is CSS 22, by most people I know.

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I mean Suspense Comics 3 is the clear winner if we are being liberal with genres.  Suspense Comics is a crossover of Adventure, Crime and Horror, right? (shrug)

(shrug)

2 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

I think Journey Into Mystery 1 (Spokane) would go bonkers...owned by a wise and knowledgeable man ...oh to get a glimpse.

...not mine, but it IS pretty.....old label beauty and probably undergraded...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

14 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Ok then where do you draw the line? Tomb of Terror was a horror book but switched to sci-fi at the end. War Against Crime and Crime Patrol are "crime" books but featured the first EC horror hosts. All are considered PCH, as is CSS 22, by most people I know.

I don't know, but Crime Suspenstories #22 contains all crime stories. Crime Patrol #15 contains a horror story. Not that Overstreet is the answer, but Crime Suspenstories #22 is list as the most valuable crime book and Crime Patrol #15 is listed as a top ten horror book.

16 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

I don't know, but Crime Suspenstories #22 contains all crime stories. Crime Patrol #15 contains a horror story. Not that Overstreet is the answer, but Crime Suspenstories #22 is list as the most valuable crime book and Crime Patrol #15 is listed as a top ten horror book.

Crime Patrol 15 is a good choice,but hard to pin it down to just one book (shrug)

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

Crime Patrol 15 is a good choice,but hard to pin it down to just one book (shrug)

Crime Patrol 15 and Suspense 3 are not precode horror comics. They're hybrids or transitional books. One horror story in an anthology does not define the entire anthology as a horror comic book. 

That said, Crime Suspenstories 22 is an interesting book since it's crime but heinous murder as depicted on the cover is horror - think of modern horror films -  Halloween, Friday the 13th, Saw, etc. I'm not saying CSS 22 is horror because my memory doesn't serve me well in terms of the story content inside the book. If all the stories involved the heinous crime of homicide then it'd be hard to say that's not horror. 

Placing a value on precode books can be difficult since some collectors will buy what they like when it comes to covers. There are some covers out there that some collectors are crazy about, which others have no problem passing on - especially with collectors who "travel across the great comic book ages." There are, however, horror comic books (not hybrids) of historical significance (that hit the newstands during the post war Atomic Age Precode Horror Era that took off with ACG's Adventures into the Unknown 1 and followed by EC's Vault of Horror 12 and Haunt of Fear 15) and while the history of those books can be open to interpretation- each of them remain in the "ballpark of significance." 

3 hours ago, domuhnator said:

Drool worthy copy! Im sure you have a list as long as anything for people who want to but it from you. But please add me to it! This book gets higher on my want list every time I see it. 

Thanks. Strangely enough I don't get offers, yours is the first in a long time. But then I rarely show it off.

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

Thanks. Strangely enough I don't get offers, yours is the first in a long time. But then I rarely show it off.

Really? its a pretty desirable book from what I understand. Your lucky to have one!