• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuble PCH Book.
2 2

76 posts in this topic

Auction 7163 | Lot 92152 » Golden Age (1938-1955)

Vault of Horror #12 Northford Pedigree (EC, 1950) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages.... 

Bid Source: Internet

FEATURED 
SERVICECGC

GRADEVF/NM 9.0
AUCTION ENDED
May 19, 2017

Auction Archives
Sold For:  $13,145.00

46 minutes ago, Bronty said:
SERVICECGC

GRADENM- 9.2
AUCTION ENDED
Mar 15, 2002

Auction Archives
Sold For:  $29,900.00

Wasn't there only one or two GFC of this issue? Could be a reason for the price way back in 2002...

47 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I like WM #4 better.

What about Chamber of Chills #19? Not so rare though.

I think the original poster was talking about the most "valuble" pch book. Rarity or personal favorites don't necessarily = most valuble. My personal favorites are Horrific #3 and Worlds of Fear #10. Surely not the most valuble. Rarity might me Roly Poly #14. How often does that one show up?

"1/1" as noted above.     Yes, that's the reason, no doubt, but when you look at what a 9.0 sold for just last year it doesn't give the impression it has increased in price at all in all these years. 

To put it another way, the Weird Mysteries 5 I linked was only a 8.0.....      If you make the grades comparable - the WM a 9.0 or 9.2 OR the VOH a 8.0, and the WM would sell for more it would seem.

Not much into horror comics myself but it’d  be interesting to see a poll of everyone’s favorites as was done for Baker covers a few months back... provided people could keep themselves from arguing too much about what is and what isn’t a pch book/cover...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I think the original poster was talking about the most "valuble" pch book. Rarity or personal favorites don't necessarily = most valuble. My personal favorites are Horrific #3 and Worlds of Fear #10. Surely not the most valuble. Rarity might me Roly Poly #14. How often does that one show up?

Not too often, but a 7.0 sold on Heritage for $5,700 a couple of months ago and they have a 6.5 coming up in their Feb auction.

3 hours ago, PeterPark said:

That list is missing a few books and the values are off on some. I'd pay $200 (the minimum value listed for the issue) for any complete copy (even coverless) for Weird Mysteries 5, for example. I did a double take with Werewolf by Night coming in right after Weird Mysteries #5.

Hard to take any list with Walking Dead on it seriously huh?    ;)   I guess he's ranking by record sale and using a wide definition (too wide for me) of what a horror book is.   

Suspense 3 is not horror.

Edited by Bronty

19 hours ago, Bronty said:

Based on the above I'd guess the VOH 12 might be the most a PCH has publicly sold for but WM 5 in like for like condition is more valuable today.

Thats what is seems like. WM5 was never really on my radar but that 8.0 sale was impressive. There was a 3.0 sale for over $3000 as well.  A NM Book would probably crack 20K going by the 8.0 sale

Im not sure if VOH 12 would hold that 9.2 sale. there was a 9.0 for 17k this year as well as a 4.0 and 5.0 sale this year and neither of those broke $2000. Chamber of Chills 19 and even black cat mystery 50 are more expensive.

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Exactly, Favorite is also a great conversation topic but not quite as cut and dry as most expensive. Which is not even that cut and dry.

Edited by domuhnator

4 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Great books on that list. However a lot are not horror, And my definition of horror is pretty loose.

45 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

That list is missing a few books and the values are off on some. I'd pay $200 (the minimum value listed for the issue) for any complete copy (even coverless) for Weird Mysteries 5, for example. I did a double take with Werewolf by Night coming in right after Weird Mysteries #5.

Agreed. Not a super accurate list.

9 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

Great books on that list. However a lot are not horror, And my definition of horror is pretty loose.

Agreed. Not a super accurate list.

I thought aspects were a little silly and a lot off as well, but thought the fact that someone...uh...attempted to address this was noteworthy. I think high grade copies of most golden age classic horrors would blow these books out of the water, but few atom age collections like that exist so newer books like wwbn 32 get included in this list. PCH beats em all in my mind because the code drastically changed what horror could be, but interesting nonetheless.

8 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I thought aspects were a little silly and a lot off as well, but thought the fact that someone...uh...attempted to address this was noteworthy. I think high grade copies of most golden age classic horrors would blow these books out of the water, but few atom age collections like that exist so newer books like wwbn 32 get included in this list. PCH beats em all in my mind because the code drastically changed what horror could be, but interesting nonetheless.

Agreed, I like the subject and list it just needs a little adjusting.

Post code horror is just not the same. Nothing beats pre Code.  WWbn 32 and Hos 92 are great and have there place. But not on a horror list IMO.

One book that could be a contender but is not necessarily traditional PCH would be Captain America 74. I know its a cap book but its all horror stories according to the internet. Super expensive book as well.

1 minute ago, domuhnator said:

Post code horror is just not the same. Nothing beats pre Code.  WWbn 32 and Hos 92 are great and have there place. But not on a horror list IMO.

One book that could be a contender but is not necessarily traditional PCH would be Captain America 74. I know its a cap book but its all horror stories according to the internet. Super expensive book as well.

(thumbsu

21 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

Thing 12 gets about $1500 in nice condition.  A Super Nice copy of Black Cat Mystery 50 got almost $14,000 on Ebay.  Heritage probably has something higher.

Black Cat Mystery 50 was the first one I thought of.

11 hours ago, domuhnator said:

Cap 74 has one Cap story. 75 is all horror with Cap not even on cover.