• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever "hoarded"
3 3

112 posts in this topic

I've never owned more than 2 copies of any issue at any one time.

My first was Savage Tales 1.

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 hours ago, comics4all said:

You gotta pray that they make a great movie of the eternals!

I send you comic book karma that will happen!

I have 4 copies of xmen 4 hoping omega red will be worth something!

I thought omega red was the most badarse bad guy ever when I was a kid, from watching the cartoon. My memory sucks, but still have some vivid memories of his tentacles whipping around draining people’s life force. Just did a google and see he also secretes deadly pheromones, don’t remember that one...

I'd have favorite artists (Steranko, Neal Adams) and try to buy an extra copy of a book they worked on, but it was a tough choice because that would mean .12 that wouldn't be available for a different title.  I do remember purposely buying 13 copies of Thor #337.

True Story:  I had Thor in my "pull" list at a dealer I had been doing business with for many years and when I came in a week later, no Thor #337.  I asked wha' happened and he replied that they had a run on the book and he couldn't keep it in stock.  I wasn't happy with that explanation (that's why I had a "pull" list in the first place) but he said he would keep trying to get it.  I immediately scoured regular newsstands to get the above 13 copies at full price(!).  Fast forward about 8 months later (still no book) when he asked a friend and I to help him move from his house.  A filing cabinet tips slightly, middle drawer slides open and whadda ya' know?  At least 60 copies of Thor #337.  When I confronted the guy and complained, noting that he would not sell one issue to me, a regular customer that had been buying this title from him for many, many years,  he said "Well... those are MY copies."  Needless to say, end of business association.

43 minutes ago, bc said:

Alpha Flight 1 - bought 50 copies at cover price.

Sold them out of the trunk of my car for $5 a piece at Mid-Ohio Con later that year. 

That's about the extent of my speculating/hoarding.

-bc

Why did you stop? Seems like you were good at it.

Sounds like you hit a homerun your first spect, plus $5 a piece back then was worth a lot more than today.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I thought omega red was the most badarse bad guy ever when I was a kid, from watching the cartoon. My memory sucks, but still have some vivid memories of his tentacles whipping around draining people’s life force. Just did a google and see he also secretes deadly pheromones, don’t remember that one...

I use to have the Omega Red action figure. 

ba00ab1bf067d600aae0bd2440a66afd.jpg

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Why did you stop? Seems like you were good at it.

Sounds like you hit a homerun your first spect, plus $5  a piece back then was worth a lot more than today.

Stopped to focus on college (and all those expenses) the next year.

Actually, the dealers were selling the "hot" book for $10 at the show, so I went home, grabbed the box and went back and sold them for $5 like a carnival barker in the parking lot. Still remember the surprised look on my mom's face when I came home with a big ball of cash - think that's the first time she realized that these kids books were worth real money.

-bc

I worked at my Uncles comic store in the early 80’s. He was a big speculator.

He talked me into buying 50 copies of the 1st 3 issues of New Mutants and Wolverine #1.

I think I ended up selling them all back to him a few years later. I didn’t make any money but 35 years later he is.

I horde now way more then I did as a kid.  Back then I would have thought it was crazy to have 2 or 3 of a copy which could be traded for a few books that could fill some holes in a set I was trying to complete.  I think I bought a few of the X-Men 1 with the various covers since it was a novelty at the time.  Who had money to buy doubles of books when there was such a stream of Spiderman, X-Men and Cable books that HAD to be purchased!

1 hour ago, bc said:

Alpha Flight 1 - bought 50 copies at cover price.

Sold them out of the trunk of my car for $5 a piece at Mid-Ohio Con later that year. 

That's about the extent of my speculating/hoarding.

-bc

Mid-Ohio Con :x

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Plus I think the cover to Xmen 5 is one of the most eye catching, gotta see what's going on in this comic cover I had seen in awhile!

When I was a kid, I never really hoarded, because that extra 75 cents or $1 could be spent on another book that I'd get to read and own. The only time I can remember buying a second copy as an investment was the McFarlane Spider-Man issue featuring Ghost Rider. Can't even remember the number now, but I remember spending the extra $1.75 "because it may be worth something." Of course, it wasn't, but I guess it made sense at that time in my life.

As an adult, I've made a few spec picks, but never more than 5-10 copies, and even then, nothing really comes to mind as having been that successful.

However, as an adult collector, I love hoarding books from the dollar bins. For instance, I buy every copy of Ghost Rider 15 (with the glow in the dark cover) I can find for a buck or less, and as of right now have 30 or more, I'd say. It's not a spec pick, because the book is essentially worthless. But I hoard 'em because I love 'em. I've also got stacks of X-Men 1, Spider-man 1, and most of the 90's gimmick books, because they remind me of all of that gimmicky craziness of my youth. No one needs more copies of Jim Lee's X-Men 1, but when I can get them for 50 cents or less, I buy 'em. Makes no sense, but I just keep doing it, because I like it!

2 hours ago, SeniorSurfer said:

I'd have favorite artists (Steranko, Neal Adams) and try to buy an extra copy of a book they worked on, but it was a tough choice because that would mean .12 that wouldn't be available for a different title.  I do remember purposely buying 13 copies of Thor #337.

True Story:  I had Thor in my "pull" list at a dealer I had been doing business with for many years and when I came in a week later, no Thor #337.  I asked wha' happened and he replied that they had a run on the book and he couldn't keep it in stock.  I wasn't happy with that explanation (that's why I had a "pull" list in the first place) but he said he would keep trying to get it.  I immediately scoured regular newsstands to get the above 13 copies at full price(!).  Fast forward about 8 months later (still no book) when he asked a friend and I to help him move from his house.  A filing cabinet tips slightly, middle drawer slides open and whadda ya' know?  At least 60 copies of Thor #337.  When I confronted the guy and complained, noting that he would not sell one issue to me, a regular customer that had been buying this title from him for many, many years,  he said "Well... those are MY copies."  Needless to say, end of business association.

lol  That's a great story.  And he is a HORRIBLE dealer.  Loyalty to customers goes a long way.  Jeez, you were even helping him move!