• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever "hoarded"
3 3

112 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

The great hype of 1993...The Death of Superman.  Had 5 of the newsstand; 10 of they poly-bagged.  Went in hard.  But, it was the event that really got me into collecting so I hold no grudges.

image.png.ec82dce220532b203a64632f2fef5fc7.png

On ebay many years ago I saw someone selling an unopened CASE each of these 3 "Doomsday appearance" comics:

Adventures of Superman 497, Superman 74, and Action comics 684

I bought them all.  A case holds 300 comics.  That means I'm sitting on 900 of these comics.  My plan was to press them all to try to find some 9.9s.  I never followed thru with the plan.

Who wants to take them off my hands?...... follow thru with my plan and get some 9.9s. :insane:

Edited by gadzukes

31 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

On ebay many years ago I saw someone selling an unopened CASE each of these 3 "Doomsday appearance" comics:

I bought them all.  A case holds 300 comics.  That means I'm sitting on 900 of these comics.  My plan was to press them all to try to find some 9.9s.  I never followed thru with the plan.

Who wants to take them off my hands?...... follow thru with my plan and get some 9.9s. :insane:

At $20 per CGC modern grading, that would be $18,000 :whatthe: 

Not including shipping back and forth. Hopefully you live in Florida. 

Would be fun to find out though. Gotta be one or two 10.0. 

Secret Wars. 

I remember I bought 4 copies of #4, and doubles of many others. 

I did end up with 2 nice copies of #8, which were slabbed and sold last year. So not a terrible idea. :)

There were a few other books in the 80s that I bought doubles of. e.g. Wolverine Limited series. But that's really the extent of my hoarding multiples.

Edited by adampasz

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

lol  That's a great story.  And he is a HORRIBLE dealer.  Loyalty to customers goes a long way.  Jeez, you were even helping him move!

Last I heard he later got pummeled by a guy who wanted to buy his SA Spider Man collection back after his kids sold it for pennies to pay for a weekend jaunt.  What the parent might have done to his kids is unknown but I do know that this dealer refused, saying basically that a deal is a deal, then the guy went berserk and mopped up the floor with him.  Hope he got enough from the Spideys to pay for his hospital stay in traction. 

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Just curious, what did you pay for these treasures? One of my local shops generally sells them for $3 each, but occasionally one finds their way into the dollar box.

And no. My wife would divorce me. She is already going to explode when I bring home 14 short/magazine boxes of comics from the office when we have to move in a few months. I am not allowed to take my personal; stuff with me.

Edited by the blob

Thor 337 was the one that I went all in for. Went to every Wawa, 7-11 and drugstore in the neighborhood and had a ton of them. I would buy doubles of a lot of stuff, but never really hoarded other books.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Not for long. That was a $5 book pretty quickly, right?

Yeah, but I don't think I knew how to play the speculation game very well ... I still have them.

11 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Yeah, but I don't think I knew how to play the speculation game very well ... I still have them.

And unless you trashed them you'll probably make a decent profit, even inflation adjusted. 60 cents invested in the S&P 500 in 1983 would be about $9.11 today...

4 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

This.

Doctor_Strange__60.jpg

@WoWitHurtsDo you still have them? I did not buy it when it came out, then restarted out of curiosity to see which kind of a mess David Quinn would have been able to do given Marvel’s left him loose and ended up almost liking it, so I’d like like to have a "flawless" copy of #60.
Luckily DeMatteis came to the rescue and did some intelligent things in the end. Thomas did not work much well on Dr. Strange vol. 3.

Edited by vaillant

To reply to the original question… I did "hoard" with the idea of reselling for the first time around the time I started to collect comics in original language.
I believe it was a New Mutants #87 (just two copies, sold a few months later here in Italy), and then an Amazing Spider-Man #361, of which i bought at least three.
Sold the exceeding two here recently.

As far as hoarding for love goes, I believe I did it first when I restarted with Marvels here, and it was Fantastic Four #64, 65, 66 and 67, mostly because I wanted great copies, but never more than 3-4 each.
Now I am occasionally "hoarding" Daimon Hellstrom and Omega, just because I love the stories.

10 minutes ago, vaillant said:

@WoWitHurtsDo you still have them? I did not buy it when it came out, then restarted out of curiosity to see which kind of a mess David Quinn would have been able to do given Marvel’s left him loose and ended up almost liking it, so I’d like like to have a "flawless" copy of #60.
Luckily DeMatteis came to the rescue and did some intelligent things in the end. Thomas did not work much well on Dr. Strange vol. 3.

I don't know if I have any flawless books.  They were all handled and that black varnish wasn't very forgiving.  This was the first professional coloring I did for Marvel and incidentally it is the first monthly Marvel book colored in Photoshop. Fabian NIcieza and Evan Skolnick didn't even tell Tom Defalco about it until after it was printed to show him that this kind of computer coloring would work.  

I will look to see what I have though.

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Thor 337 was the one that I went all in for. Went to every Wawa, 7-11 and drugstore in the neighborhood and had a ton of them. I would buy doubles of a lot of stuff, but never really hoarded other books.

I had a minty pair of those as well.

38 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I don't know if I have any flawless books.  They were all handled and that black varnish wasn't very forgiving.  This was the first professional coloring I did for Marvel and incidentally it is the first monthly Marvel book colored in Photoshop. Fabian NIcieza and Evan Skolnick didn't even tell Tom Defalco about it until after it was printed to show him that this kind of computer coloring would work.  

I will look to see what I have though.

That’s great: full coloring? I would have hoarded them as well. :)
And yes, that is the problem with that issue: the matte black varnish is truly unforgiving.