• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever "hoarded"
3 3

112 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, vaillant said:

That’s great: full coloring? I would have hoarded them as well. :)
And yes, that is the problem with that issue: the matte black varnish is truly unforgiving.

Yes full coloring. We had a small studio and 4 of us worked on this book although two of us did the bulk of it, myself and one other.

1 minute ago, WoWitHurts said:

Yes full coloring. We had a small studio and 4 of us worked on this book although two of us did the bulk of it, myself and one other.

Are you still working for comics or in the field? I am also a graphic designer, so I am more curious than I should! :D 

New Mutants #98 for me.  I really don't know why, because I've never been a huge Deadpool fan.  But for some reason I got an itch to find an "undiscovered" character and bought 10 copies or so from $5 to $10 each on the community section of comicspriceguide.com from various folks.  After eventually grading them, I ended up with a couple of 9.6 copies and most of the rest were 9.4.  I probably sold shortly before the peak, but it was a nice kick to the finances to help me support my Golden Age addiction!   

Strange Adventures 144 first cover of the Atomic Knights series i had up to 12 copies at one time.I'm down to only 5 as of now but who knows what the future holds !

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

@WoWitHurtsDo you still have them? I did not buy it when it came out, then restarted out of curiosity to see which kind of a mess David Quinn would have been able to do given Marvel’s left him loose and ended up almost liking it, so I’d like like to have a "flawless" copy of #60.
Luckily DeMatteis came to the rescue and did some intelligent things in the end. Thomas did not work much well on Dr. Strange vol. 3.

I looked and I only had one copy that was pristine the rest had color breaks.  I did find a couple of other things though while I was looking. I have a stack of DS Annual #$ that I worked on and was given to me while visiting the marvel offices. I also came across some color keys (proofs) of DS #60. The annuals are perfect shape too. Worthless but perfect lol.

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

45 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I looked and I only had one copy that was pristine the rest had color breaks.  I did find a couple of other things though while I was looking. I have a stack of DS Annual #$ that I worked on and was given to me while visiting the marvel offices. I also came across some color keys (proofs) of DS #60. The annuals are perfect shape too. Worthless but perfect lol.

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

Thanks! I’ll reply in full tomorrow: very late here! Good night! :)

If I remember correctly, the first comic I ever "hoarded" was New Teen Titans #1.  When this book came out, I bought all the copies I could find; which I believe was 8 copies.  Although I usually never sell any comics, I did find myself in my LCS a few years later and the owner was looking for copies of NTT #1.  I think I ended up trading him 5 copies of #1 and maybe one copy of one of the later issues in exchange for the following book (plus I may have also received another less impressive Action in the deal - but I can't recall what that was).

Action 101 Scan.jpg

Edited by Hudson

First one for me was McSpidey 1.  I had 15-20 or so of each cover.   Still have a few of them left.  

I bought a few copies of Hulk 377 when it came out and traded them away pretty quickly for BA Spidey's.  Same with New Mutants 100, bought 10 copies and traded about half away a month later when it debuted in CVM for $10 or so for BA Spidey's.  

Thor #337 Newstand copies after reading about it in Comic Buyers Guide... :cloud9:

I went around the local area grabbing up as many copies as I could from drug stores and 7-11s.

November 1983 cover date

Edited by sckao