• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #1
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum.  I got this ASM #1 for Christmas and was hoping for help with a grade.  I picked up the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics but am struggling.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Edited by conan09279

1 minute ago, conan09279 said:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate. I was hoping it would be closer to a 4.0 because my wife paid $5k for it - but at the end of the day, I don't care. I absolutely love it. Thanks again!

Without either that long crease, the spine roll, or a little less spine wear, it would have a shot at 4.0. IMO, this is a strict Overstreet 2.5, but as everyone has opined, it should CGC at 3.0 as most CGC slabbed 3.0s look very indicative of this one.

GPA is a service you can subscribe to which lists all sales of graded  (CGA) comics of significance. It costs about $10.75 a month and is well worth it IF you are looking for real time sales of comics. I used it extensively for a year while prepping the market for my AF 15. Overstreet in my opinion is vague, especially on grading issues and does not represent current street values of the day. Learning to grade is a hard experience and this is a good place to do it when .5 is a significant dollar amount. Read and watch Ebay and always go to "sold Listings" not what is for sale. Ebay is a strange and dangerous place, so are auctions/ If you're new, and selling or buying, wait one year before doing anything substantive.  5K? I don't know off hand. 

8 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

GPA is a service you can subscribe to which lists all sales of graded  (CGA) comics of significance. It costs about $10.75 a month and is well worth it IF you are looking for real time sales of comics. I used it extensively for a year while prepping the market for my AF 15. Overstreet in my opinion is vague, especially on grading issues and does not represent current street values of the day. Learning to grade is a hard experience and this is a good place to do it when .5 is a significant dollar amount. Read and watch Ebay and always go to "sold Listings" not what is for sale. Ebay is a strange and dangerous place, so are auctions/ If you're new, and selling or buying, wait one year before doing anything substantive.  5K? I don't know off hand. 

+1. If someone is going to be buying or selling books of serious coin, GP Analysis for comics is a must have. The price guides are not state of the art for market value. They're a good read for comic history, lore, and reference, but GPA is the only way to go for pricing info.

The tough stuff is indeed learning to grade. Bob Storms taught me to look at a book upside down and it really shows the minor flaws that are in any cover. If you're looking at spine splits, missing staples, Staple placement, rust,  tears there should not be any illusions following Overstreet. It likely will never hit a 5.0 and can be a 2.5. Don't go for the vagaries of Overstreet. It's sweet music but i stops there. It's good on low value stuff.   Bob thought I consistently was overgrading by about a point which is not such a big deal on a mid grade book but when the money gets serious, the difference in a 6.0 to a 7.0 is large. Above that, it's huge. 

The only things that having such services as pressing are going to get you will be removing creases that have no color breaks. Pressing is expensive. A book worth less than 100 dollars is not a candidate for press and slab in my mind but the reality is that if you're selling books, the slab grade defines the monetized value as long as you use GP Analysis as your guide. Beware the guy who says "I'm not a professional grader but blah blah blah."

If you aren't trying to sell, then just put them on backer boards in good bags and by comic book boxes. 

Watch this board and try grading for six months. Try grading your own and then put them into this meatgrinder. You;ll see some remarkable fluctuation from grader to grader. I like to grade and say why I did what I did. There's many that are far better than I am.  You'll learn an enormous amount and it will really help you if you're buying books from strangers. 

When you're up to things like ASM #1, you're playing with the big kids. 

Edited by Glassman10

Wow - that is one heck of a Christmas present.  I think I got some socks and an Echo.

I'd guess 3.5 which looks to have a GPA 12 month average of $5,000 so your wife did not get taken.

Edited by 1Cool

On 1/10/2018 at 6:54 PM, James J Johnson said:

+1. If someone is going to be buying or selling books of serious coin, GP Analysis for comics is a must have. The price guides are not state of the art for market value. They're a good read for comic history, lore, and reference, but GPA is the only way to go for pricing info.

I disagree with some of this. GPA is great for slabbed books -  I find Overstreet very helpful when selling raw books and common books and many on the boards use Overstreet in their sales threads.

11 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

I disagree with some of this. GPA is great for slabbed books -  I find Overstreet very helpful when selling raw books and common books and many on the boards use Overstreet in their sales threads.

I  agree with that. The advantage of the slabbed book is that it really helps cement the monetized value of the Comic if you're trying to sell it to a stranger. Grading by Overstreet is pretty subjective in my mind and can lead to serious disagreement which ties to market value.  Using GPA, tied to confirmed sales damps that down a lot. When I was selling my collection, Overstreet alerted me to value I never recognized like Iron Man 55 or ASM 129. It just jumped off the page. I never realized I owned them 

Reality for me is that $100 dollars is the point below which I would not be inclined to slab a book since if you're buying and selling, you're just churning money.  When Bob Storms sent me a bunch of Dr Strange, all raw. they are great with one fatal flaw like a subscription crease or spine ticks or a stain . It's exactly what I wanted but they would never be candidates for slab or press.