• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the CGC grade: Punch Comics #18!
2 2

40 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I'll say CGC called it a 5.5 due to the back cover stains/shadow and what looks like it could be a book length vertical crease on the back too.

+1 I think you're spot on. Back cover stains/shadows and that book long back cover crease/impression on a book of seemingly otherwise 7.5/8.0 quality = strict 5.5

Edited by James J Johnson
omitted a word

If you look at the LHS of the 'U' in punch, you'll see the same crease, which suggests that it is/was a whole book bend. (I'm guessing it wasn't pressed?) I got a raw Dell duck book from Heritage that looked nicer than the grade they assigned, but had a bend (less obvious than this one) and got a 5.0 from them. So I'll guess that here as well - a very nicely presenting 5.0!

I'd go 6.0 because of the creases and dark areas on the BC but it easily looks (and probably should) be more 7.0.   I'm going low because I recently received some slabbed books and got hammered on the grading, which suggests there may be some new hardcases examining the books.