• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

Yeah, but this film will need some other heroes in it to be successful. That is why doing this as a BW/Hawkeye/SHIELD vs. Winter Soldier film would have worked well. It is essentially a team flick that gives some of the back history on SHIELD as well as the other characters. You could also show how SHIELD was formed, and with Howard Stark involved show a young Tony growing up as well. That type of a story would be an easy $800M+ film.

11 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Has Scarlett shown she can carry a movie on her own? 

'Lucy', directed by Luc Besson. Good Sci-Fi movie. All of $40M to produce, and it ended up doing $463.4M worldwide. 'Ghost World' was another one. But that was at a much younger age. Like 'Lost In Translation'.

I tried one of her other movies where she was the big star ('Under the Skin') from 2013. HORRIBLE! Sci-Fi at its worst.

Marvel Thinks BLACK WIDOW Can Eclipse WONDER WOMAN?!?

According to The Daily Mail, Disney/Marvel’s ambitions for Black Widow are sky high, and star Scarlett Johansson is looking to cash in on that. In an article discussing what a big, fat paycheck Johansson may score for doing the film, they mentioned some fascinating insights into what the studio’s outlook on Black Widow‘s box office numbers could be:

“Scarlett will get a huge pay day for the Black Widow film, which Disney believes could eclipse Wonder Woman in terms of a female-led superhero film’s revenue. She has been a lucky charm for the studio in all their films, and brings her A-game during each performance. Scarlett is adored by Disney’s top brass and is a real team player. This stand-alone movie is out there for them, but they feel it can make history. The wages are high, but nothing she doesn’t deserve given her track record as this character…Her agents have pushed through the revenue bonus payment. If it makes over $900 million at the box office then she will get another $6 million. The -script is being written and the hopes are to have the stand-alone film in cinemas by summer 2020.”

These claims by The Daily Mail are kind of bananas for a number of reasons. For starters, Wonder Woman was a cultural phenomenon when it came out in June of last year. By the time Black Widow would conceivably come out in 2020, the world would’ve been treated to Wonder Woman 2, Captain Marvel, and- possibly- a Harley Quinn-centric movie like Birds of Prey or Gotham City Sirens. So Black Widow would be arriving very late to the party.

Then there are other factors to consider.

Black Widow has no superpowers, meaning her story would have to be more grounded, which automatically makes it less of an “event film.” It almost has to be more of an espionage-style action/thriller, which is awesome, but means the expectations should be more Lucy than Wonder Woman. And Lucy, which was a smash, made $463,360,063– a far cry from Wonder Woman‘s $821,847,012.

This sort of situation also means they’re missing the boat on what Black Widow could be: A low-budget, low-risk/high-reward endeavor like Deadpool. This should be the kind of film that costs way south of $100 Million, which would guarantee it’d be another box office win for Marvel. There’s nothing about this character’s mythology that screams that they have to “go big.”

While Marvel still hasn’t officially announced a Black Widow movie, one of their employees who would definitely be in the know might have let it slip. Chris Evans, who brilliantly portrays Captain America said this to ET Canada:

“There’s nothing [Marvel Studios] can’t do, and I’m sure it’s gonna have the exact same effect when Captain Marvel comes out, and then the Black Widow movie comes out. Marvel just has the winning recipe and they’re kind of one step ahead of everybody else.”

But folks already are well acquainted with Black Widow, so with the Marvel machine behind her the film would do fine.  Not Black Panther fine (holy carp!), but a likely solid hit if the -script is strong.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:07 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 1/19/2018 at 4:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Has Scarlett shown she can carry a movie on her own? 

'Lucy', directed by Luc Besson. Good Sci-Fi movie. All of $40M to produce, and it ended up doing $463.4M worldwide. 'Ghost World' was another one. But that was at a much younger age. Like 'Lost In Translation'.

I tried one of her other movies where she was the big star ('Under the Skin') from 2013. HORRIBLE! Sci-Fi at its worst.

If you want to watch a tour-de-force performance, watch “Girl With A Pearl Earring”.  An astonishing performance by Ms. Johansson.  (And I couldn’t care less about box office).

Tessa Thompson Comments on 'Black Widow' Solo Movie

In a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, Thor: Ragnarok's Tessa Thompson spoke about how prominent female characters are going to be to the Marvel Cinematic Universe's next phase. As she pointed out, that wave of female empowerment will hopefully include the Black Widow project.

"We’re seeing a Black Widow movie in the works, which I've heard about," Thompson explained, "and is so exciting."

The long-awaited news of a Black Widow movie was first unveiled back in January, earning quite a bit of hype among fans online. At the moment, the project is still in its relatively early stages, with a -script being written by TiMER's Jac Schaeffer. While a lot of details about the movie are currently a mystery, one rumor suggests that the project will debut in 2020, and that Johansson struck a pretty substantial deal to sign on to the film.

Enough excitement over this news from the MCU stars themselves it would appear this train will move forward.

I am really starting to lose interest in the character, which is funny because a few years back with Avengers and IM 2 I would have loved to have seen a Black Widow feature film instead of Cap/Thor/IM/Hulk. During the end battle of Infinity War I was sitting there thinking how easily she should have been killed off by the foot soldiers, let alone anyone else. I would much rather see a Scarlet Witch solo film now than one for Black Widow.

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I am really starting to lose interest in the character, which is funny because a few years back with Avengers and IM 2 I would have loved to have seen a Black Widow feature film instead of Cap/Thor/IM/Hulk. During the end battle of Infinity War I was sitting there thinking how easily she should have been killed off by the foot soldiers, let alone anyone else. I would much rather see a Scarlet Witch solo film now than one for Black Widow.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I guess her Russian espionage training is a kin to having super powers!(shrug) I see this film playing out more like Winter Soldier than anything else Marvel has done. Maybe they can show the back story on how Hawkeye recruited her to SHIELD.hm

3 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I was actually thinking the same thing. I guess her Russian espionage training is a kin to having super powers!(shrug) I see this film playing out more like Winter Soldier than anything else Marvel has done. Maybe they can show the back story on how Hawkeye recruited her to SHIELD.hm

It would be a ton of hand to hand combat style like we saw in IM2 and CA-WS, and probably be a mix of wrist based weapons - I could dig that.  I mean what type of fight is it when the hero shoots laser beams, or controls thunder, or shoots hex bolts at the enemy?

If the movie happens just hoping it's in the current timeline of the MCU to move the stories forward.  Captain Marvel is an exception because they need to retro-fit her in for Avengers 4.  Going back in time a la the Star Wars Story films doesn't have the same excitement as you already know the character's future story arc.

This is a super necessary movie... because it seems so unnecessary. Where does it fit in? What's the point?

All those questions in fans' minds will require to creative team to focus on making a damn good movie instead of relying on its tie-in to the next big event. Which of course, it inevitably will somehow. And we know Scarlet Johansson's got chops.