• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

What Does ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Mean for the Black Widow Movie?

The sequel is said to start shooting sometime later this year, so where does Avengers: Endgame leave the former SHIELD agent, and what does it mean for her future on the big screen? Let’s talk about it, but beware of major spoilers.

Spoiler

In case anyone thinks Black Widow can easily be brought back with the Infinity Stones, Steve Rogers returned all of them to their proper point in time, so that’s not in the cards. But even if it was somehow possible to get the stones back, Hulk even says that he tried to bring her back when he snapped his fingers to undo what Thanos did in Infinity War. But it didn’t work. It seems Black Widow really is gone for good.

Well, there’s a five year gap in Avengers: Endgame where we don’t know much about what Black Widow is up to. Presumably she’s always checking in with the surviving members of The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy as they look into the aftermath of the genocide across the universe. But perhaps she had missions of her own during this period that might fill in the gap.

However, the most likely explanation is that the Black Widow movie is a prequel. It could easily take place in the past when Black Widow was loyally working for SHIELD, carrying out missions. After all, Captain America: The Winter Soldierkeyed us into the fact that she once squared off against the titular villain and it left her with a scar from the bullet he sent through her body. She has a long history of working as an agent, and there are plenty of stories that could be told there.

The only issue there is that Scarlett Johansson much older than her character would be for a flashback movie like that. But Marvel Studios has also proven that age isn’t really a problem for them anymore. Samuel L. Jackson was de-aged about 24 years in order to play a young version of Nick Fury in Captain Marvel, and that wasn’t just a small cameo. He was the second lead in the film, and the visual effects looked amazing. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility for Scarlett Johansson to be de-aged to play a younger version of herself.

Edited by Bosco685

Some are saying this is going back to her much earlier days.

Furthermore, the rumors have pegged the Black Widow movie as a prequel that follows Natasha Romanoff during the early period of her spy career when she was employed by the KGB, before she was even recruited by SHIELD. So perhaps we’ll see how she came to be employed with SHIELD, maybe even as a sequel that follows the events of Captain Marvel.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Some are saying this is going back to her much earlier days.

I always expected it to go that way. But, in saying that, just because Banner said he didn't bring her back in Endgame doesn't mean he didn't.

During Game Over: An Evening With Joe Russo Black Widow obviously came up, and ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis asked: "so what happened in Budapest?" Russo said "That's the question, isn't it? Seems like a story for another time." Budapest is something that came up during the original Avengers film, and while it's been touched on there we still don't know how that all went down. A Black Widow movie set in the past could give us an up-close look though, and it would also show us perhaps how the two Avengers first met.

Russo again hinted at a story not in the present when Widow's in development film came up, saying "Scarlet has a movie but it's not...we're not telling linear stories anymore."

Fans did learn a few more things about Widow in Endgame, like her Father's name. While Russo admitted those can be run with in future movies, the goal was to tell a full story for her here.

"It's putting seeds in to fulfill our story, and that's what we do in the Marvel Universe is someone comes in and they pick up the threads, right, but there isn't, the grand plan is always 'we have a loose idea of where we can go here', but if you spend a lot of energy thinking about where it goes in the future you're gonna miss the opportunities that are in front of you in the present," Russo said. "If you don't make a really good film, nobody's going to be around for the next one, you know, so we really focus on the present story not on where this is all going."

Edited by Bosco685

Recent reports, sourced from none other than Avengers star Sebastian Stan himself, suggest the solo Black Widow movie coming out will be set between the events of Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War. Stan was recently at a comic convention in Italy when he let the news slip about the timing of the movie.

The news has been reported by multiple outlets, though no audio or video of the panel in question has surfaced online to allow for confirmation. One of Stan's other panels earlier in the day has since surfaced online, though the Black Widow comments were reportedly in a second panel later in the day.

Should the film take place after Civil War, that'd mark a big change from the original reports that it was supposed to be set around the turn of the century, prior to Natasha Romanoff's (Scarlett Johansson) time in SHIELD and the Avengers. If it is indeed in a post-Civil War world, one would think Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) or Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie) would make an appearance as the three formed the Secret Avengers in the wake of the Sokovia Accords. On the flip side, nothing's stopping Romanoff from splitting off from the group for a quick side mission in the two-plus years between the second Captain America and third Avengers films.

Timing-wise, this wouldn't make sense if the other rumor it will address the Budapest mission Natasha and Clint talk about in Avengers (2012).

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Timing-wise, this wouldn't make sense if the other rumor it will address the Budapest mission Natasha and Clint talk about in Avengers (2012).

I guess this means Winter Soldier is in the film, otherwise I doubt he would have this information. 

Recent reports, sourced from none other than Avengers star Sebastian Stan himself, suggest the solo Black Widow movie coming out will be set between the events of Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War. Stan was recently at a comic convention in Italy when he let the news slip about the timing of the movie.

The news has been reported by multiple outlets, though no audio or video of the panel in question has surfaced online to allow for confirmation. One of Stan's other panels earlier in the day has since surfaced online, though the Black Widow comments were reportedly in a second panel later in the day.

That's awesome news if true.  Going too far back in Natasha's story isn't going to add anything to the MCU at this point (and you know that more so after seeing EG).  However, with the events being more current, I can definitely see some tie in potential.  I'd have to imagine there will either be some clues/reference/association to new members of the MCU whether it be heroes or villains.  I don't see Feige just "wasting" a movie to fill a gap from long ago. Widow obviously wouldn't be equipped to take on the next big bad - but she might be going up against an associate of the next big bad (ala Loki and Ronin).

Another possibility I've considered is they do actually have a trilogy planned starting with her time in Russia, how she met Hawkeye, her introduction to SHEILD, leading to the events after Civil War & Stan only has info on the one film he's set star in.

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

Another possibility I've considered is they do actually have a trilogy planned starting with her time in Russia, how she met Hawkeye, her introduction to SHEILD, leading to the events after Civil War & Stan only has info on the one film he's set star in.

A black widow trilogy? Count me out...

Black Widow just got that much more interesting.

It's all but confirmed that David Harbour will be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe come next year. Despite not being officially announced, previous trade reports have suggested that the Stranger Things star will end up appearing in the solo Black Widow film — heck, even Harbour himself hasn't been all too quiet about the situation. Appearing on a panel at MCM London this weekend, Harbour mentioned how excited he was to be joining the MCU. Not just that, but one line of his comment seemed to allude he might be playing a member of the Fantastic Four.

According to Advanced Television, Harbour not only confirmed he'd be in the film but also said that he was glad "this thing is joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe." It's a peculiar line, to say the least, especially when considering the actor has been a go-to choice for many fans while fan-casting Marvel's First Family.

The one problem with that is the timeline surrounding the Disney/Fox merger and whether Marvel Studios had the ability to include the character in the -script for Black Widow. The movie's initial -script had been in the works long before the massive deal closed, though a -script re-write had reportedly been ordered as late as February. While that's still a bit too tight to guarantee that Marvel Studios had the ability to use the characters of the Fantastic Four in the film, there's a precedent of the studio trading live-action rights of characters with various studios.

It also raises the question of why Marvel would choose to introduce Ben Grimm in the Black Widow film, which is reportedly set in a time period after Captain America: Civil War. After three live-action Fantastic Four films at Fox, none of which were particularly well-received, it's understandable if Marvel wants to introduce the characters in unconventional ways, but at this point, it just seems like a long shot that a Grimm appearance in Black Widow could come to fruition.

:whatthe::wishluck:

If Harbour does play Grimm in Black Widow, I expect it will be as a pilot & not the Thing. I'm pretty sure the MCU will introduce the Fantastic Four together, even if some characters are introduced individually in other films leading up to it. Similar to how Black Widow was introduced as Natalie Rushman / Natasha Romanoff in Iron Man 2 initially.

1 hour ago, 234wallst said:

I don't watch the show and know nothing about it, but is Harbour's statement just a reference to his role on Netflix' Stranger Things?  Is he just a "thing" in that show?

He's the towns police chief. I've considered this possibility also. It's all just speculation.

1 hour ago, 234wallst said:

I don't watch the show and know nothing about it, but is Harbour's statement just a reference to his role on Netflix' Stranger Things?  Is he just a "thing" in that show?

5 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

He's the towns police chief. I've considered this possibility also. It's all just speculation.

"this thing is joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

That statement has nothing to do with Stranger Things, IMO.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

"this thing is joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

That statement has nothing to do with Stranger Things, IMO.

Just to elaborate on what I said earlier - it could have meant "This (Stranger) Thing is coming to the MCU" - a not so clever play on words.

On the other hand..

Marvel Two-In-One

Edited by 234wallst