• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

Awesome. But of course it’s  par for the course for the MCU.

This definitely looks to be part of the “Winter Soldier” family of MCU movies with the dramatic lighting, more subdued humor, and martial arts action. Can’t wait for a more Taskmaster-centric trailer. 

Trailer looks even worse the 2nd time around. :/

Says she "had nothing" in Endgame, but now - all of a sudden, she has/had a "sis" and 'family'...? Seems like they're trying to capitalize on what could have been with Secret Avengers prior to Infinity War. It just isn't working for me.

14 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Says she "had nothing" in Endgame, but now - all of a sudden, she has/had a "sis" and 'family'...? Seems like they're trying to capitalize on what could have been with Secret Avengers prior to Infinity War. It just isn't working for me.

Well, a “family” of KGB (or whatever) assassins who wouldn’t hesitate to kill each other for the state isn’t really a family. 

With Hawkeye and the Avengers, she found folks who actually cared about her and whether she lived or not and even a short term boyfriend.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, a “family” of KGB (or whatever) assassins who wouldn’t hesitate to kill each other for the state isn’t really a family. 

With Hawkeye and the Avengers, she found folks who actually cared about her and whether she lived or not and even a short term boyfriend.

I don't embrace excuses - I embrace solutions.

The dialogue makes no sense.

55 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't embrace excuses - I embrace solutions.

The dialogue makes no sense.

I don't see the contradiction.

In Endgame, she said she "had nothing" (i.e., no family).

In this trailer, they're all (clearly) estranged at the start.

Makes perfect sense.

Edited by Gatsby77

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

I don't see the contradiction.

In Endgame, she said she "had nothing" (i.e., no family).

In this trailer, they're all (clearly) estranged at the start.

Makes perfect sense.

She's dead. This movie takes place prior to Infinity War - which takes place prior to Endgame.

She never references any "family" other than the Avengers in any prior film.

There's the contradiction.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't read too much into the "family" quote. I look at it as a group of people she grew up and worked with that she may have thought of as a family while living in a bubble (i.e. it was a "forced" family).  She didn't really understand what a family was until she was with The Avengers.

Edited by Xenosmilus

2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I don't read too much into the "family" quote. I look at it as a group of people she grow up and worked with that she may have thought of as a family while living in a bubble.  She didn't really understand what a family was until she was with The Avengers.

the dialogue suxxx hard tho

"sis"

:sick:

I have never liked SJ’s portrayals of BW. Love her in different roles in other films but she never nailed BW for me. This trailer is a step in the right direction. The superhero landing is such an eye-rolling moment for me though. It’s played out to the point of being parodied in Deadpool. The only one who ever pulled it off was Blade. And not even Blade could pull it off a second time because it was only cool once! The rest of the trailer looks great and I’m very surprised I liked it. I hope they don't borrow too much from Red Sparrow, Anna or Atomic Blonde. 

Edited by Oddball

Just now, Oddball said:

I agree, my daughters even laughed at that. They only address each other by name or something derogatory.

To your point that ScarJo hasn't "nailed" Black Widow:

I liked her performance a lot in both The Avengers and Age of Ultron, but I don't much associate her character with the actual Black Widow. Her acting was also tremendous in Endgame. I thought she was very boring in Iron Man 2, The Winter Soldier, and Infinity War.

17 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I don't read too much into the "family" quote. I look at it as a group of people she grew up and worked with that she may have thought of as a family while living in a bubble (i.e. it was a "forced" family).  She didn't really understand what a family was until she was with The Avengers.

Yelena is her sister in the comic, so it's safe to assume she's her sister here, too.  Presumably the reason she said she has nobody left is that any of these people here she cares about die in this movie before she says she has nobody left in Endgame.  I'm guessing Yelena lives and eventually becomes the new Black Widow as she does in the comics if the movie does well enough to suggest the character deserves more screen time beyond her death in Endgame.

Taskmaster has always had the potential to be an interesting villain.  His ability is that he has hyper-acute awareness of everything around him and absorbs the fighting tactics of his opponents instantly at the expense of a weak long-term memory, so he's a guy who tends to eternally lives in the moment to a greater degree than almost anyone else is capable of.  It's an interesting trait that reminds me somewhat of the character in my avatar, Will Graham from "Red Dragon" and the Hannibal television show.  Graham has mild autism and an EXTREME ability to empathize with others that allows him to envision likely motives and modus operandi of criminals, so the idea of altered Taskmaster's awareness level is a very different example of an altered mental state similar to Will Graham in that it leads to advantages that wouldn't be immediately obvious until you dwell on what the mentality can lead to.

Edited by fantastic_four

22 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm guessing Yelena lives and eventually becomes the new Black Widow as she does in the comics if the movie does well enough to suggest the character deserves more screen time beyond her death in Endgame.

Good point. I didn't consider this.